Manhattan post cruise July 4, worth staying to see?

Middleager

We are a family of 5 (with boys 16, 14, girl 12) from Toronto. We're driving in a van and park at the Manhattan cruise terminal. We finish the Carnival Triumph cruise on Sat. July 4.

We are thinking to take our luggage to leave at the van (and pay one more day of $30 parking), and tour the city a bit. After that will drive to Scranton to stay the night, before driving back to Toronto the next day.

July 4 being Independence Day, what kind of celebration activities will be going on? Are they really special that we should actually stay and watch, and stay at a hotel nearby? A hotel room (Days Inn or Holiday Inn) in Scranton is $80-90/n, including breakfast. I understand hotel rooms around New York are very expensive.

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

HUGE fireworks display over the river sponsored by Macys...lots of entertainment......lots of crowds and traffic.

yes rooms are expensive......many may already be booked.....but it is probably a nice thing to see.....

you could try staying someplace in New Jersey and then take the train or PATH back in to the city.............

just some ideas...you will get more!

We are a family of 5 (with boys 16, 14, girl 12) from Toronto. We're driving in a van and park at the Manhattan cruise terminal. We finish the Carnival Triumph cruise on Sat. July 4.

We are thinking to take our luggage to leave at the van (and pay one more day of $30 parking), and tour the city a bit. After that will drive to Scranton to stay the night, before driving back to Toronto the next day.

July 4 being Independence Day, what kind of celebration activities will be going on? Are they really special that we should actually stay and watch, and stay at a hotel nearby? A hotel room (Days Inn or Holiday Inn) in Scranton is $80-90/n, including breakfast. I understand hotel rooms around New York are very expensive.

There is no doubt it will be crowded and chaotic on July 4th. But MISS the FIREWORKS???? The ones they show on TV??? Your kids may never forgive you if they miss that. And I think 4th of July is the famous Nathan's hot dog eating contest-another must see.

Here is a list of things to do on July 4th. You may want to drive to NJ (anyplace close to the NY/NJ state line and find a hotel there. It may be cheaper for a hotel and if you drive to Liberty State Park or down around Jersey City/Hoboken, you can see the fireworks from the NJ side. This year, the fireworks are going to be in the HUDSON River, not the East River, so even better viewing from the NJ side. And the Crowne Plaza Times Square is supposed to be running a special for River view rooms. I don't know the price.

I sat on top of RT 3 in NJ one year-great viewing when I found the PERFECT vantage point (at the Hoboken turnoff). Enjoy NYC!!!!

http://nymag.com/guides/summer/july4/

Gosh no you MUST splurge and spend the extra night and stay in Manhattan!! Yes, it will be crowded and it will be busy but miss those fireworks? No way! Start looking now for two hotwire rooms. It will be worth whatever extra money you have to pay.

Lots of cheap dining options and breakfast can be had for a couple of dollars a person.

Found a two star on Central Park South for $129 per night which is a room for four people on Hotwire. You might be able to fit a rollaway or you could get two rooms.

We too will be on this cruise and like you we are staying to watch the Fireworks , We will be Staying with family in Manhattan ,Funny thing is we also live outside of Scranton ,Pa .. LOL

Small world ...:cool:

Even if you stay the night in Scranton PA, you must watch the Macy's fireworks before you go, I insist!

If as someone posted the fireworks are on Hudson, a great spot to watch is from Stevens University in Hoboken. It is on a hill and the view is awesome.

OTOH, even Scranton will have decent fireworks and you may avoid traffic by leaving for hotel early.

We've seen fireworks in Toronto, and at Quebec City. Is it that much better in New York, to need splurging? Are there other special things other than the fireworks?

If we do stay, what are the areas we should try to book a hotel?

Found a two star on Central Park South for $129 per night which is a room for four people on Hotwire. You might be able to fit a rollaway or you could get two rooms.

I looked into Hotwire. There isn't anything called "Central Park South". What other names can it go by?

We've seen fireworks in Toronto, and at Quebec City. Is it that much better in New York, to need splurging? Are there other special things other than the fireworks?

If we do stay, what are the areas we should try to book a hotel?

That much better or not - is subjective. Since you are asking the question, I'd say it is ok to pass the NY fireworks.

If you decide to stay, I'd think you would find more reasonable hotels in Jersey City, Elizabeth or @ Newark Airport and not in NYC.

No one has mentioned looking at Secaucus (just west of the Lincoln Tunnel) for a hotel room - I'm seeing 2 choices there for $79 on Hotwire. That would be a reasonable alternative between staying in Manhattan and staying in Scranton. I would also verify that you can leave your car at the pier for one more day of $30 parking. If not, you could move it downtown to the Port Authority garage so you have an easy exit to the Lincoln Tunnel. Another choice would be to spend the $30 on buses - move the car to the hotel in NJ in the morning where you will have free parking and for $2.55/pp take the bus back into NY. After the fireworks you would take the bus back to NJ.

I've seen the fireworks over the years - several years ago I had an invitation to see them from a private boat, so I drove from the Boston area to outside NY, left my car and took the train, subway and bus to E. 23rd St. It was a long trip, but it was a fun.

I looked into Hotwire. There isn't anything called "Central Park South". What other names can it go by?

It was definitely Central Park South but they could have misnamed the location. Look at Midtown West. Did you punch in four to a room?

We are on the Triumph cruise on June 29th, returning to NYC on July 4th. We have reservations for the 4th at the Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City. Is that too far down to be able to view the fireworks? Will we need to go somewhere else in order to view them? Thanks

The fireworks barges are from 23rd to 50th Sts. Your hotel is below 23rd St. However, I'm sure you would be able to see the fireworks. Unfortunately, the crowds are enormous as is the traffic, so if you have a car think twice before you try to drive it around that evening. You might consider taking Path to Hoboken and then walking north to get across from 23rd St. The grounds of Stevens Institute of Technology would have a great view, but probably great crowds as well. It's been a long time since the fireworks were in the Hudson River, so it's hard to know what the effect will be on the NJ side of the river.

The Sheraton in Weehawken is right on the Hudson River and the Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ also on the Hudson. All great locations for July 4th.

The Sheraton is all booked up. I made a tentative booking for the Homewood Suites Edgewater, $133+tax=$153. Not cheap.

Hotwire shows hotels much cheaper at the Newark airport area, but I'm concerned about the crowd and possible long wait with public transportation.

Will talk it over with the kids. If we do stay one night here, it'll make for a longer drive (I'm the driver) home the next day. So we'll weigh that.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Sheraton is all booked up. I made a tentative booking for the Homewood Suites Edgewater, $133+tax=$153. Not cheap.

Hotwire shows hotels much cheaper at the Newark airport area, but I'm concerned about the crowd and possible long wait with public transportation.

Will talk it over with the kids. If we do stay one night here, it'll make for a longer drive (I'm the driver) home the next day. So we'll weigh that.

You do not want to stay in Newark.

There is a 4* listed on Hotwire in Hoboken/Jersey City for $119.00 + tax right now. A little cheaper than what you have AND any of the 4* hotels in that area are right on the water. There are only 3 4* hotels in the area-Westin Newport, Hyatt on the Hudson and the brand new W. I really don't know where you would put 5 people in one room but I supposed they could bring in a rollaway. You would have to call the hotel directly.

I actually put in 2 adults and 3 kids on Hotwire. I got this:

Star rating: HotelStarRating:4-star

Check-in date: CheckInDate:Sat, Jul 4

Check-out date: CheckOutnDate:Sun, Jul 5

TotalPriceWithAddOns:$141.94

I sure hope you didn't think that we meant GO BACK into NYC for the fireworks (at least I sure didn't). If you can get along the river anyplace in NJ, you should be able to see as well as in NYC (actually from Liberty State Park or any of the 4* hotels in Hoboken/Jersey City, probably better). Maybe try calling the Homewood Suites in Edgwater and see what they think about the view from there. May be OK right at the hotel.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!!!

Greatam - I'm so glad you posted that about Hotwire in Jersey City. I agree 100%. IMO Edgewater is way too far north to get a good view of the fireworks, which are between 23rd and 50th St. My in-laws lived on the river in West New York across from the 60's in NY and when they did Hudson River fireworks they were beyond spectacular. However, Edgewater is another 75 blocks north - you'll be able to see the fireworks, but it won't be the same.

The advantage to being in Jersey City is that you can take Path or the Hudson Bergen light rail up to Hoboken if you like. The other thing is to note is that the Hotwire hotel could charge for parking. Instead of paying to keep the car in NY for another day, the OP's might want to move the car to NJ when they disembark and take Path back into the city for $8.75. They definitely want to have their car parked for 4th of July evening long before the fireworks.

The advantage to being in Jersey City is that you can take Path or the Hudson Bergen light rail up to Hoboken if you like. The other thing is to note is that the Hotwire hotel could charge for parking. Instead of paying to keep the car in NY for another day, the OP's might want to move the car to NJ when they disembark and take Path back into the city for $8.75. They definitely want to have their car parked for 4th of July evening long before the fireworks.

I'm sure the 4* Hoboken/Jersey City hotels charge for parking. I know it for a fact at the Hyatt. Public parking lots not far which are generally cheaper for overnight and weekends. Drop off the luggage at the hotel and park on either Exchange Place or Hudson for the Hyatt.

Maybe it's because I do logistics planning for a living, but I sure don't understand the reference to "paying to keep the car in NYC for another day" and "take PATH back into the city".

I would think they would get off the cruise (NYC), take the car to a parking garage someplace close to Times Square/Chinatown/WTC-wherever they want to sightsee for a few hours or leave it at the port IF they can and take a taxi to sightseeing after stuffing luggage in car.

Off the cruise ship by 10:00 or so, sightsee until 4 or 4:30. Drive to a Hoboken/Jersey City (someplace in NJ) hotel, have some dinner, then either watch the fireworks from your hotel room (definitely depends on which hotel and your room) or go outside to the water front anyplace in Hoboken/Jersey City. Heck, you could probably park in the Mall and walk across Washington for that matter.

Here is info that was on the W website. I would just go outside the hotel if you are in the North Hoboken area (even if you aren't staying there)

4th of July Firworks View Information

Well hello. We welcome you to enjoy the fireworks on July 4th over the Hudson River but please note we can not guarantee a view from your guest room. So come relax and enjoy and before the fireworks start in your room; check out the Macy’s day fireworks from the river walk in front of the hotel.

I'm being overcautious for them. I just don't want them to cut it too close and not be able to park their car at all. I've dealt with these Hudson River fireworks displays before - the bicentennial was the worst. People from all over will say "Let's go see the fireworks - we'll just drive and park the car at Exchange Place or Newport". In New York streets will be closed near the West side and traffic getting out of the city could be awful, particularly if they leave the car near the port in the west 50's. If it were me, I'd drive down to the Holland Tunnel at 10 am while the traffic is still sane, go to the hotel, check in (room won't be ready), and dump the car. Then back on to Path and off for a day of sightseeing. No need to be back at the hotel before 7 or 8 pm.

It will actually be cheaper to do it this way. They won't have to pay for an extra day of NY parking. They have to pay to park at the NJ hotel anyway and they will not be there more than 24 hours, so it's only one day. Path will take them to 33rd and 6th, which puts them within walking distance of Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Macy's, and 5th Avenue. If they take the subway downtown to lower Manhattan, they can return directly to NJ from the World Trade Center - that's three fares. If they kept their car in NY and went to lower Manhattan, that would be two fares.

One thing we didn't mention to the OP is how easy it is to get on the NJ Turnpike extension from Jersey City. If they need to make a quick getaway in the morning, it will be no problem.

I live one mile from the Homewood Suites in Edgewater. The view of the fireworks is just fine from there and it is a great location. You really cannot equate the streets on the NY side to the streets on the NJ side. Homewood suites is not 75 blocks north. It is on the border of Edgewater and Guttenberg/Weehawken. Parking is free and the ferry into midtown manhattan has a free shuttle and is right down the road. There are restaurants of all price points. It is a great place to spend a day as opposed to Jersey City.

Thanks for clarifying that mommyto2girls - the center of Edgewater shows as being above 125th St. in NY and Homewood Suites is about even with 100th St, still 50 blocks above the most northern fireworks barge. My past experience with the fireworks was from West NY by Blvd. East and River Road and the traffic was awful. Wherever the OP decides to stay, she should not leave the getting to the hotel until the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your immediate question YES! Manhattan during 4th of July is a must see if you can. Some of the best fireworks displays in the country and you can see them from either Manhattan, Brooklyn, or NJ. Plus during the summer months there are million things to do in and around the city.

Archived