Must See's Cozmel or Key West????

I second the trolley suggestions for Key West. The trolley is a great way to get around the island. Mel Fisher's, the Hemmingway House, Sloppy Joe's, Tony's, and the quirky shops and bars will definitely fill your day. And as another poster mentioned, save room for frozen key lime pie on a stick...definitely worth the calories!

I third the trolley, Mel Fisher Museum and Sloppy Joe's. If you purchase the trolley tour, you can get on and off all day. My Grandson was born in Key West (he's known as a Conch) and we visited daughter and son-in-law several times while they were stationed there (Navy). It's one of our favorites and we always love getting to visit. Try the conch fritters in Key West, with Key Lime Pie on a stick for dessert. They also celebrate Sunset EVERY day in Mallory Square. If there at sunset, you gotta see it..they are a fun crowd in Key West.

Key West... not my favorite port. However I wander down to the Key Lime store (yup everything you can think of and then some that is Key lime) and get some key lime candy or what ever they have new to try. Then across the street to the marina. I walk along the edge and watch the giant tarpon swim by. (my needs are simple as you can see)

Cozumel. So many things to do and it never gets old. Favorite is to rent a jeep and drive around to the other side and play in the blowholes along the beach then have a nice lunch and swim at Chin Rio. Life is so good.....

If you like to chill to boat music with a good drink go to Schooner's Warf in Key West. Best little waterin hole! You must get a rum runner, they are the best I have ever had. Key West is definately a place to walk, drink and chill. The key lime store is a must! They have Key Lime jelly that is out of this world. If your looking for a beach, I recommend Higgins Bay.

Coz.. I can only speak of the diving. I have never seen such a beatiful under water scenery.

I LOVE Key West! I live in Miami, and have driven down a few times and I've been there by cruise as well! I suggest getting onto Duvall Street and simply walking around! Everything is within walking distance in the old town. All the sites! I recommend grabbing some monster stized chocolate chip cookies and Kohrs custard ice cream too! It's awesome!

In Cozumel, first thing you should do when you get off the ship is rent a jeep and drive to the other side of the island...make your own Corona commercial!! Seriously breathtaking. Save some time for shopping, if you have it. Most of the stuff you can buy in Cozumel, you can buy on the ship or in other ports.

I don't know if it's changed in the few years since I've been there (I used to be a cruise ship musician), but We used to rent a jeep and drive to a lazy beach called "Playa Bonita". Just a plain old beach with a few tables and chairs. The waiters would bring us ice cold Dos Equis beer (or ice cold coke in glass bottles) and fresh chips and guac. Toes in the white sand, and nothing but the sound of the ocean, which is great for a swim. Hopefully it's still untouched by the "tourism" virus. It's a beautiful drive.

It's nice to get away from the crowds for a bit, and even if the beaches on the far side have changed (ie. word has gotten out), it's still way less crowded, and much cheaper than anything near the ports.

There's some good shopping a short (and "exciting") cab ride into town. There's also some all-inclusive hotels that you can pay to enjoy for the day.

This is what we do, also. The other side of the island has beautiful deserted and peaceful beaches. We love it!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

we took the jeep excursion in cozumel. best time we have ever had! they gave us lunch and we drove along the beach and it was breathtaking. Everyone loved it. snorkeling was also part of it. that was very physical you had to swim out far and wore us out. we are only in our 20s but you just have to swim far to do it. we took the boat back because we could not finish. but the tour was great. the tour guides, felix and fransico were great, they knew anything you wanted to know. we saw salt water crocs which was neat and a temple of the mayan ruins. it was a very nice time. the food was authentic mexican, very good. we ate a light house on the beach very beautiful.

in keywest we rented scooters. had a great time also. us girls would get dropped off and go into to shops and the men keep on ridding around. we drove up to a beach and just all around town. it was lots of fun.

have a great time.

Just came back from Key West & Cozumel.

We rented scooters and rode down to the Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park. Beautiful place and you can snorkel there, tour the fort or just enjoy the scenery. We really enjoyed the scooters which allowed us to easily get off the "beaten path" of Duval Street. We did, however, enjoy a drink at Sloppy Joes.

In Cozumel, we went to Nachi Cocum. BEAUTIFUL place. Visit the Cozumel board to read all of the reviews. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Why Lunch, back on the ship?

I know this question was answered as far as times....but I suggest trying Bistro, which is right on the pier at the Westin Hotel. You can eat outside just feet away from the bow of the ship. The Cuban Classic is a must-try.

Cozumel- If you want a beach break- I highly recommend Nachi Cocum. It is an all inclusive beach where you will be waited on. The food was superb! Beach was really nice. We sat under a palapas all day.( i think that is what it is called)- a natural looking palmtree umbrella thing. That picture is now on my screensaver. They have also pool with swim up bar. Place was very clean. $49.oo -all drinks and food included- well worth it- and i am frugal!

10-15 minute cab ride from pier -easy to do.

They called us a cab back.

In Cozumel we went to Playa Uvas and it was AMAZING! The place is just beautiful and the prices are VERY reasonable. They have snrokling tours from the beach, clear kayaks, great food, and top shelf drinks for one price. If you book it on your own then they reserve loungers and umbrellas for you. They also have massages for an extra charge. The service was wonderful and if we ever go back we will do it again. The beach is rocky which is why you can snorkle from it but the have white sand where the loungers are. I think we paid $49 a person for everything except the massages. We even saw blue iguanas. It is fairly close to the peir (maybe 10-15 minutes) so we has time to shop around the square too. The taxi was $10 each way.

Google it for lost of pictures!

Monica

We loved the excursion to Tulum, it took the whole day but it was a total must see, and we really loved the tour guides.

Only thing is that in July we melted, quite literally. But we had an A/C bus both ways so only part that was awful was the actualy ruins site, I would love to see it at a not so scorching time of year.

If you are a cat lover, check out the Hemingway Museum in Key West with the marvelous collection of six-toed felines.

We are cat lovers and enjoyed the Hemingway House! I think we found around 40 cats but may have counted some of them twice!!!:confused:

OK this is a tough one because both have wonderful things but I love Key West and there is so much to see in such a small place...the trolly is a perfect way to see everything...my dd and i were there in Feb...we started out and got off and on and got lunch then got back on and rode the whole thing...I love shopping there...I love drinking and eating there...I love the sunset as you pull out of port (and the people on the dock watching)...it is a very special place...

but Cozumel does have Tullum...and beautiful beaches...

Key West is my vote...

Archived