The upgrade fairy visited me!!!!

Momma Mojito

Hi there!

I was wondering if I could interject here with a question about upgrades? For those of you who have been visited by the upgrade fairy, how did y'all originally book your cruise? Did you go through your travel agent, Princess.com or an independent cruise site (i.e. SmartCruiser.com)? My husband and I are thinking of booking a caribbean cruise in November and using the gty option for a mini suite. Hubby found a great deal on an independent cruise site and thinks the upgrade may happen no matter how it is booked. I am not so sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! And Congrats to y'all who have had a fairy visit lately!

Kaplanlyn

We booked through our TA over a year ago. Paid for one upgrade and just got a visit from the upgrade fairy - from an AE to an AA! We had an assigned cabin so I wasn't sure we would get an upgrade. We are so excited!!:D

Sue

I received an upgrade on my cruise last December from an aft balcony cabin on Aloha to a mini-suite. I booked through Princess and had actually marked my booking no upgrade as I like those aft cabins. I was called a couple of days before sailing asking if I wanted a mini-suite so, of course, I had to try one. Loved it but now that's how I want to cruise!

Hi there!

I was wondering if I could interject here with a question about upgrades? For those of you who have been visited by the upgrade fairy, how did y'all originally book your cruise? Did you go through your travel agent, Princess.com or an independent cruise site (i.e. SmartCruiser.com)? My husband and I are thinking of booking a caribbean cruise in November and using the gty option for a mini suite. Hubby found a great deal on an independent cruise site and thinks the upgrade may happen no matter how it is booked. I am not so sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! And Congrats to y'all who have had a fairy visit lately!

Kaplanlyn

All the cruises I've been upgraded on were booked with travel agents. The one time I wasn't upgraded was booked directly with Princess -- but that reservation was actually marked "Do Not Upgrade" so I wasn't wanting one. Booking method makes no difference whatsoever; the upgrade fairy is far above petty concerns like how or when you booked: just sacrifice a white rooster at the full moon and you'll be all set.

I booked about 3 weeks ago directly with Princess and went with the lowest priced Mini (AD which I knew I would want) which had no cabins available so I did a guarantee. Just received notice from Princess of the upgrade to the AA.

It has been several years since the upgrade fairy visited. I remember on our

Med cruise I had booked a Balcony with a TA and upgraded to a Mini. So there is no method to their madness.

We're leaving on a family cruise on the CB on August 13th, about five weeks ago we changed from a regular balcony BD to a guaranty AE. We know there are only 2 AE cabins, yet 7 couples in my family booked AE guaranty.

Last week my niece, was upgraded to an AB, the six other couples are still awaiting - no assignment. We keep checking and there are only two minisuites available from AE through AA. How are they going to accommodate all of us? I thought when payment came due more cabins would open up, but instead more cabins have been booked.

How likely is it that we would be upgraded to full suites? Or does Princess have an inventory that they do not release to the TA and public?

Our Sapphire cruise on May 23rd was booked directly with Princess and our AB Mini-suite booking was marked "no upgrade." Upon check-in in Whittier we were notified that a cabin change was made...to a PS, Caribe 752. It was Heavenly!

I don't know why we were so fortunate, but I do not believe the manner of booking had a thing to do with it.

Congrats on your upgrades!

We got our first one last year on the Emerald Med cruise. We had an oceanview for 4 but ended up with only 3 of us. It was not a guarentee room. Our upgrade was to a balcony for 3 on Baja deck. We were surprised and thrilled and loved it.

Enjoy all your upgrades.

Guarantee, you pay for an inexpensive cabin but you are not assigned a cabin until very close to the sail date. The cruise line "guarantees" you that you will get the category that you paid for.

BG guarantee to a BA

AE guarantee to a AA

AE guarantee to a AB

There are cruisers who like buying an inexpensive cabin and hoping for an upgrade.

Have to caution those who are thinking "upgrades are a biggy.

Sometimes they're not.

Cabin upgrades are rare especially on ships that are sailing at or near capacity.

Upgrade is less likely to occur on popular ships.

Guaranteed stateroom you never know what or where you will end up. You could have cabin in the center of the ship, by the stairway, near the laundry service area or in the front or rear of the ship.

If you don't mind what kind of cabin you have or where it is on the ship, then you should take a chance and book a guarantee.

It worked for others, as you can see.

So WHO or WHAT is the Upgrade Fairy? Does the computer just randonly pick people or does a human comb through the reservations and adjust them as they see fit? I have never done a GTY for fear of getting something I do not want like a forward cabin as I prefer mid and aft. I had a GTY cabin booked on NCL until yesterday and couldn't stand it anymore and called to chance my reservation and selected a cabin further up the food chain. YIKES. dlz

Archived