Bands or music by the pool

JaniceB

Sail, me thinks you got a misprint. The taco bar/hamburgers/french fries are at the forward Lido pool. The aft pool has a multitude of tables, regular & lounge chairs, but no food availability.

Happy cruising....

JDee, Actually Sail has it correct. I believe you misunderstood her post. She says that the Aft pool should be the quiet pool because the families are at the Lido pool. Then she goes on to say that someone will disagree, saying that all the kids hung out at the aft pool. The last line of her posts is a disagreement with whoever would say that, because kids will want to hang out by the taco, burger bar near the Lido pool.

JDee, Actually Sail has it correct. I believe you misunderstood her post. She says that the Aft pool should be the quiet pool because the families are at the Lido pool. Then she goes on to say that someone will disagree, saying that all the kids hung out at the aft pool. The last line of her posts is a disagreement with whoever would say that, because kids will want to hang out by the taco, burger bar near the Lido pool.
Ocrone, we all know that Sail is well aware of where the taco/hamburger/ff, etc., are located...icon10.gif She has been on the HAL ships often enough for that..

Sorry Sail, guess I misunderstood your post....thought it was a typo implying that the food goodies were at the aft pool....

Happy cruising.....

For someone who possibly could be confused...........:confused:

What I said........what is the fact.......is the the taco/burger bar/french fries etc are at Lido Pool.

What I said.......what I hope.......is the Aft pool be left for those of us who want quiet.

Families tend to go to Lido Pool........that is where the kiddies like to go. LIDO POOL.

Of course, I STILL know that someone will be more than happy to tell me I am incorrect. ;) Any guesses?

On second thought....there surely must be more than a little wrong with me because I prefer to sit at a pool that does not have blaring music....be it live or canned. Keep the blaring stuff for the Lido Pool. Please leave the aft pool peaceful so we all can have a choice to enjoy the one we like best.

I know....what is in the world is wrong with me that I don't want a blaring band pounding away? Sorry....I hate loud music. I enjoy music played at a comfortable listening level.

Oh boy.....here we go.....how many decimels is approrpriate? How many is comfortable for the most people? This could go on for pages.....

On second thought....there surely must be more than a little wrong with me because I prefer to sit at a pool that does not have blaring music....be it live or canned. Keep the blaring stuff for the Lido Pool. Please leave the aft pool peaceful so we all can have a choice to enjoy the one we like best.

I know....what is in the world is wrong with me that I don't want a blaring band pounding away? Sorry....I hate loud music. I enjoy music played at a comfortable listening level.

Oh boy.....here we go.....how many decimels is approrpriate? How many is comfortable for the most people? This could go on for pages.....

Sail, no one is saying that there is something wrong with you because you don't like blaring music. I don't like it either (OK, most of the time I don't;)), but that doesn't mean that I want total silence either. That doesn't make me right and you wrong, or you right and me wrong. It just means that everyone has their own preference.

While sitting by the pool there are times that I like to hear what I consider Caribbean music, and other times that I like quiet.

I don't want to hear blaring music, either. And I don't want it at the Lido pool. Soft, backround music---fine. Live music for an hour or so at lunchtime, especially that's not too loud,---fine.

On last summer's cruise there was too loud, rock music over the Lido PA while I ate breakfast. Believe me, it was too cold to eat at the aft pool; it was too hot for me indoors. By the Lido pool was just right. Except for the "music"! Before I've had my coffee? :rolleyes: Please.

Now, my cruises do tend to have fewer families, and are definitely not Caribbean, but I would hate to see HAL introduce that type of "entertainment" on my itinerary.

That's just one more thing I like about HAL - the passengers are literate, and the cruise director doesn't try to interfere with my enjoyment of a sea breeze, refreshing libation and an interesting book.

For those who must have loud music and forced hilarity at sail away, there are other cruise lines which specialize in that sort of thing.

:) -dave

Totally agree. Most other cruise lines have a steel band at the pool all afternoon. I love music but why do all bands feel that they are in a competition to see who can play the loudest. This even happens at weddings and other affairs. You can't talk to anyone and you certainly can't take a nap unless you turn off your hearing aid if you are lucky enough to need one). This is the main reason we started booking balcony cabins so we don't have to spend the afternoon at Coney Island (er, I mean the pool area).

I've got three great steel drum music CDs, including one with Rudolph the Red Nosed......on it. Be glad to send them right along to you, if anyone needs them for their next cruise...LOL

Funny thing, they sounded absolutely fantastic when I bought them down in Barbados. I don't think they have been played since we got back. Somehow, they just don't seem right for the East Tennessee Mountains... LOL

We've no objection to music of any kind, for short periods, around the pool - however, some musicians/bands use such strong amplificatiion that it is actually impossible to carry on any kind of conversation. For Sail Away, appropriate music is definitely in order.

We're book carriers too and love a game of cards sitting around the pool. We can live quite happily without music in hallways and elevators - a ship can so easily become too much like the shopping malls we all know (and many dislike) :rolleyes: :eek:

Just got back two weeks ago from the Maasdam eastern caribbean cruise. Music didn't bother us a lot, but it would have been nice to have a little steel drum influence. Didn't have to be loud, but it would have added flavor. The band we had was good on the 6 or 7 songs they knew, but they couldn't, or didn't sing to "walk don't run", and were pretty boring after the first day. We did remember how to play every note we had forgotten 40 years ago though. Much preferred the band on the Galaxy last year who could play a little of everything and brought the audience into the act. They also played everywhere all day and up to closing in the main lounge. They were from St Lucia so they gave a little flavor to the cruise, not to mention the fact that they were animated. Worse part of the Maasdam cruise was the piano bar gentleman who sang one day in the Lido. We couldn't hear the piano, only his voice. Would have made a great comedy act. Sorry, if I could have slept with that on deck with a good book, I would have. At least the food was good.

We recently did our first HAL on the Oosterdam, with a few Princess cruises under our belts, and one thing we really thought was missing was some poolside carribean music. I mean it IS a carribean cruise, what's wrong with a little island atmosphere at one of the pools. That leaves plenty of other areas for a quiet book, which I enjoy also. As a matter of fact, we felt that the entire evening entertainment selection was lacking also.

I've got three great steel drum music CDs, including one with Rudolph the Red Nosed......on it. Be glad to send them right along to you, if anyone needs them for their next cruise...LOL

Funny thing, they sounded absolutely fantastic when I bought them down in Barbados. I don't think they have been played since we got back. Somehow, they just don't seem right for the East Tennessee Mountains... LOL

I wouldn't get rid of that music quite yet...you may need it to keep warm in the next few days...

December 19 Sunday Rain / Snow 5.gifhigh 39° low 16° www.weather.com

Archived