Which Pearl Itinerary???

pokeypoke

Hi,

I am planning my second cruise with NCL for December of 2010. I have narrowed it down to two choices, both aboard the Pearl, going to the Caribbean. One itinerary goes to the eastern Caribbean stopping in Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay. The other itinerary goes to the western Caribbean with stops in Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Key West.

Which one of the two itineraries is the better? I have never been to any of these ports and would like the opinion of others who have been to them. I will not be doing any snorkeling, zip-lines or swimming. I basically like to take in the beauty and sights, do a little shopping, eat some good food, take in the culture and see a little architecture.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

They are really quite different. I have done both, although the weather in the western caribbean kept us from enjoying much of it.

I think that the natural beauty of the Eastern is better, but the downside is no Mayan ruins. The Eastern has higher mountains on the islands, but is not jungle-like except for Dominican Republic. The Eastern is generally more up to date and cleaner in my opinion, but not a good place to practice your spanish.

It just so depends on what you want to do /see....they are really quite different ....there is not a lot of overlap.

Not much help, I understand. My suggestion is to study each of the destinations on the Internet and match up what you learn with what you want.....most of us here will not have the same desires as you do, so our opinions don't mean much.

Hi,

I am planning my second cruise with NCL for December of 2010. I have narrowed it down to two choices, both aboard the Pearl, going to the Caribbean. One itinerary goes to the eastern Caribbean stopping in Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay. The other itinerary goes to the western Caribbean with stops in Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Key West.

Which one of the two itineraries is the better? I have never been to any of these ports and would like the opinion of others who have been to them. I will not be doing any snorkeling, zip-lines or swimming. I basically like to take in the beauty and sights, do a little shopping, eat some good food, take in the culture and see a little architecture.

Okay, let me see.

Samana-never been

St. Thomas-big shopping and nice views, good beaches

Tortola- Nice views, small toen, love this port

GSC-Beach day

Roaton-never been-going in Oct.

Belize, great river ruins tour

Costa Maya-I loved this port we went horse back riding, ate local food loved the small town

Key Wset-never been.

If it was me I would do the Western, but I agree with the othger poster, read the port section and see what fits you.

Hi,

One itinerary goes to the eastern Caribbean stopping in Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay. The other itinerary goes to the western Caribbean with stops in Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Key West.

I will not be doing any snorkeling, zip-lines or swimming. I basically like to take in the beauty and sights, do a little shopping, eat some good food, take in the culture and see a little architecture.

I have been to all of them. Based on what you want you wrote, I can give an opinion with exception to eating the island food.

Samana: tour for beauty/sites, not much shopping or architecture, non-tourist culture (poverty)

St. Thomas: tour for beauty/sites, lots of shopping and architecture, wealthy tourist culture

Tortola: tour for beauty/sites, lots of shopping yet unlike St. Thomas, I only experienced port area

Great Stirrup Cay: no architecture, tiny straw market on island, ship food for lunch on shore, beauty can be seen from ship although fun to walk the path, only 7 guys and 2 cats live on the island

Roatan: tour for beauty, not much shopping or architecture, non-tourist culture (poverty)

Belize: the city is not very pretty, not much shopping, not much architecture

Costa Maya: tour for beauty, not much shopping or architecture, non-tourist (poverty)

Key West: lots of interesting tours within walking distance, lots of shopping, lots of food options, architecture blend of old and new, tourist culture

So it looks like you will get what you seek on either itinerary. I agree with checking the port of call boards. Ask the question on each board and see the responses you get.

coka

Samana: Truly the most amazing beach I'd ever seen...Playa Rincon and La Playita. We hired a private guide and it was the most spectacular day. Be brave though, this is a NATURAL beach...no cabana boys bringing drinks and no restaurants. But there is an amazing woman that will cook you up lunch over an open fire with what they caught that morning. NOT TO BE MISSED.

St. Thomas: Your typical Carib shopping and site seeing mecca. LOTS of tourists everywhere. Bring your wallet.

Tortola: For SURE take the round the island bus tour. It's about $40 and takes you full circle. Well worth it, picturesque with breathtaking views. Shopping is typical, nothing but the usual port shops and beachie boutiques.

Great Stirrup Cay: Island owned by NCL and here to cater to the cruisers.

Roatan: This is where to do your Eco Tour, amazing jungle and birds!

Belize: Big City...take a boat to Ambrigis Caye and snorkel or dive. If you are stuck in the city, take the Belize Beer Factory Tour. Too much fun and great bear. Careful about the ruins tour, its a good 2 hour bus ride EACH way to get to it.

Costa Maya: Port town, typical shopping. Local fishing village is worth a look. BEST BET is call Maya Palms and book the place for the day. Great pool, all inclusive eats and drinks, nice snorkeling and diving.

Key West: Three words...party party party! Fun colorful place, typical shopping and snorkling. Hit the Mel Fisher museum to see real sunken treasure.

Either one you'll have a blast!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Simple solution! Book a "b2b" cruise and do all the ports.

Hi,

I have done the Eastern and a similar Western with Costa Maya being replaced with Cozumel. I prefer the eastern routes. I find the islands to be more exciting, and the beaches better, not to mention the shopping is MUCH better in St. Thomas than anywhere on the western route. If you prefer ruins and cave tubing the western is better for you.

I also think that you will see a better variety of architecture in the east.

If nothing else the Baths, a short ferry ride or excursion from Tortola make the east a must do, if you haven't been there before!

Archived