Is Princess Customer Service Really That Bad

kooljamming

I find their customer service consistently inconsistent with information, however most things were resolved after a few calls.

I have read horrendous posts of numerous emails sent and waiting for weeks without getting any acknowledgment.

Is it normal practice for Princess to ignore complaints or take weeks to respond.

In the electronic age I expect to get even a form letter, within 72 hours of writing.

In the past I have been fortunate to deal with companies with great customer service.

My TA used the word famous and infamous when speaking of Princess as in this email, which he sent to acknowledge my payment.

He is not very keen on Princess Customer Service either.

I am asking about Princess Customer Service not if customers complain too much, that's a different cup of tea.

Hi Pauline,

Your payment went through on the AMEX.

The taxes on your cruise went up a total of $16.28 since you booked.

Unlike other cruise lines that almost never change the taxes once you book,

Princess is famous or should I say infamous for adjusting taxes.

You now need to register with the cruise line.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

XXXX

I find their customer service consistently inconsistent with information, however most things were resolved after a few calls.

I have read horrendous posts of numerous emails sent and waiting for weeks without getting any acknowledgment.

Is it normal practice for Princess to ignore complaints or take weeks to respond.

In the electronic age I expect to get even a form letter, within 72 hours of writing.

In the past I have been fortunate to deal with companies with great customer service.

My TA used the word famous and infamous when speaking of Princess as in this email, which he sent to acknowledge my payment.

He is not very keen on Princess Customer Service either.

I am asking about Princess Customer Service not if customers complain too much, that's a different cup of tea.

Hi Pauline,

Your payment went through on the AMEX.

The taxes on your cruise went up a total of $16.28 since you booked.

You now need to register with the cruise line.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

XXXX

I have only sailed on Princess once and that was the Ruby's first sailing. I have to say....point blank...........The customer service or lack there of........Let me say just "service".................I will NEVER sail on this line again. It was not a relaxing or fun cruise at all.......due to the lack of service.....in all ways.........I really do not need to even be specific as I can't really say anything good except we were on a cruise and did make the best of it. We had a good time but it was NO Thanks to the line itself.

I'm sure I will get bashed for this post by fans of the line but I do have a few cruises under my belt and this was just not the line for me. It really felt more like a job...........I was always at the desk Due to lack of service.........nothing was ever resolved.....it got exhausting. I am SO easy going it really took many problems on this ship and the lack of customer service to make things turn out this way.

Since returning I get "junk" mail every day from Princess. I have called several times and asked to be taken off the mailing list......BUT.....NO....the junk just keeps on coming. I gave up.......I just throw it in the trash on the way in from my mail box. Another lack of service.

There are so many better choices out there and great deals as well.

Happy Cruisng to ALL!! The service is better elsewhere:)

don't hold back! :D

i love princess. i hate having to deal with their customer service people.

oh, they're all pleasant enough, but its true, they are not always helpful, knowledgable or on top of things.

On the contrary I have never has a problem with them. I have switched my cruise and cabin a total of 7 times with my last FCC and have never had one issue, complaint or problem. I am always treated with the utmost respect, have always gotten knowledgeable CS reps..and when they didn't know they found out for me.

I have found a great difference between calling Princess where I can get different answers to the same question just by calling back. The phone representatives have little knowledge about the cruises and absolutely no knowledge about the ports of call. However once on the ship I find the service to be outstanding. I have always had excellent stewards and waiters. The ships officers have been charming and knowledgeable if I asked about the ship. The entertainment staff (like trivia etc.) have been excellent. On ship I have found some port lecturers to be outstanding and some to be just shopping shills. I avoid the shopping talks so that no longer irritates me.

No it's not that bad.

As I'm sure you've read on another thread they screwed up our Honeymoon ROYALLY!

A focus file was opened on us onboard.

I had documented everything...dates, times, names, experiences

I wrote the letter, emailed and faxed it. I waited and then was called by a Customer Service rep. She gave me her name as a point of contact

It took 2 months, during that 2 months I was getting antsy..and she told me point blank..be patient, you will get more than you expect if you remain calm.

We were heavily compensated with cruise credits for future cruise credits.

I blew through mine within one month of them being issued when I went to Tahiti for B2B

My DH has been totally opposed to cruising...Princess has graciously extended HIS credits several times past the expiration date..people have told me they never do it as much as they have for us.

It was exactly 2 weeks ago that I asked for another extension until next year. within 3 days it was done as we sent a letter, along with the original letter. As I said, I received a call from customer service saying that this was once again escalated because of all that transpired originally and would they make an exception to normal policy.

So, for me...they aren't bad.

On a side note

Reservations might not have all the answers, they are call center employees..it's a hard job with A LOT to know, and probably close to minimum wages which can lead to turnover which brings in a NEW res agent who is still learning the always changing stuff...

and as we know from these boards travel on any cruise line is not an exact science..no matter how many cruises you have under your belt.

Also, if Princess is a typical res call center these agents are rated on how many bookings they make, how quick the call is turned over, how many calls they take...etc etc...

each problem or question that isn't simple...drains their stats..which in turn jeopardizes their additional salary compensation...

It's really not a matter of how many cruises under my belt and I did not mean to imply that in any way...........I am just so glad it was not my first cruise because iI would not have chosen to cruise again and to think of what I would have been missing!!

My friend sailed Princess the same week as we did on another ship (Princess) and she has sailed over 20 cruises on "other" lines (multiple)...............we had the same "issues" without even chatting until our return............lack of good CUSTOMER SERVICE. She actually had many more problems than we did and a huge problem with an employee treating her elderly Mom horrible! She complained both verbal and in writing and .....customer service did nothing.

The post was about customer service.............Which in our experience we found none........ what so ever........via email.....fax......letters........but worst of all while onboard and face to face.

The post was about customer service.............Which in our experience we found none........ what so ever........via email.....fax......letters........but worst of all while onboard and face to face.

Yes, I was replying to my experience with Princess customer service

while onboard on that particularl sailing and Princess customer service post cruise and how they responded.

I was also pointing out the reasons why you might not be getting customer service from a res agent answering the reservations phone #

This has been my experiences with Princess concerning customer service. the ugly and the fabulous!

I was also pointing out that service that we expect based on past cruises on Princess OR ANY OTHER LINE may have changed.

Cut backs have been made by the home office and no matter how many times you have cruised before you may find yourself on a ship where they say...no we don't do that anymore.:eek:

For 6 out of 7 past cruises I have booked directly with Princess, and also #8, coming up in a few months.

ALL of the CS reps I have dealt with have been unfailingly polite, respectful and pleasant. They don't always know the answer to every quetion, but they do get answers for me when needed. I do a lot of research before booking, so don't usually need much additional information. Anytime I have found a fare reduction on the Princess website, they have immediately refared me and whoever I am sharing a cabin with, and provided comfirmation of it via email within a matter of minutes.

I do understand that these are people whose primary job is to book cruises, and several of the ones I have chatted briefly with admit they have never even been on a ship, much less taken a cruise.

As for all the negativism the one poster wrote about his Princess experience - - - I have never had a bad Princess cruise. Yes, I've had the rare steward that wasn't quite up to par. But that's the worst thing I can think of to comment about.

Makes one wonder who he cruised with prior to Princess, that his expectations were so astronomically high, that Princess failed him so miserably!!!

Am I a "cheerleader"? Guess I am, because I love the Princess experience, and will continue to cruise with them, until there are no itineraries available that appeal to me. Of course, there are already some that I would happily repeat over and over ( notably Hawaii, and Tahiti & FP!), so that's not likely to happen.

When things go WRONG how WELL is it handled?

From what I am reading not very WELL especially in terms of timely response.

Things can and do go wrong. Timely for me is acknowledgment within 72 hours.

Resolution can be a while in coming depends on the issue

I can't comment about princess CSR's when calling for information, as I have never done that in my life. I refuse to call some young thing that has never set foot onboard a ship in her entire life trying to find an answer in her computer while I am on hold for 20 minutes.

BUT, for problems we have had over the years onboard their ships, I give Princess an A+ for their customer service. Now remember, this is with an actual problem, not a whine, or a petty gripe, but with a real problem. This has happened to us twice now, in over 15 years sailing with Princess. And the first huge problem was on our first Princess cruise. They could not have been more gracious and accomodating with their 'offer' to make it up to us.

Sure, it does take some time to get issues resolved, and they aren't speedy with returning mail. But I have always received an email within 24 hours if the PROBLEM was actually a problem alerting me they have received my email and are looking into the matter, and that is what we have found with many larger companies in any consumer area. But so far, it's been great.

I think now though there are so many that consider small gripes or complaints to be so huge, they blow them all out of proportion, but they expect something for this. It takes up so much time that the office staff needs to weed through which ones really need something done, and some need that mighty form letter stating 'sorry for your disappointment, yadda yadda yadda". :) I would love to know the amount of mail that Princess offices receive each and every day, and what percentage of that mail actually contains something that needs looked into immediately? ;)

Yes, I was replying to my experience with Princess customer service

while onboard on that particularl sailing and Princess customer service post cruise and how they responded.

I was also pointing out the reasons why you might not be getting customer service from a res agent answering the reservations phone #

This has been my experiences with Princess concerning customer service. the ugly and the fabulous!

I was also pointing out that service that we expect based on past cruises on Princess OR ANY OTHER LINE may have changed.

Cut backs have been made by the home office and no matter how many times you have cruised before you may find yourself on a ship where they say...no we don't do that anymore.:eek:

I did not EXPECT anything from Princess.........was just excited to cruise! I am old enough to know that you do not "expect" ............I go with the flow and am very easy going and very easy to please. I am only posting MY experience with the "service" we did not receive on our particular sailing.

We have different opinions and I never had a problem with any call center as I never called a call center. I never had any dealings with any res agents as I booked through a TA from Canada LOVES this line! My mistake:o

It's sorry to see you put down minimum wages workers........no matter what industry they work in. You missed my point in the whole. Service (lack of) had nothing to do with cut backs.........it just was not there:eek:

Enjoy your future cruises and try to lighten up........;) It's all good:D Except the customer service.

Also note for those who had there issues resolved that is wonderful customer service and I am happy for you!! Hopefully what we experienced will not happen to anyone else!!

This is afterall a place to post your experience and that is all I did!!

Have a great weekend all and Happy sailings!:)

It's sorry to see you put down minimum wages workers........no matter what industry they work in.

:)

Just to clarify this..not sure how you thought I was putting them down

I worked for a minimum wage in a call center when I was younger.

As soon as any of us could find a higher paying job we did...that's human nature.

which leaves room for a "new hire" which in turn means they have A LOT to learn to answer all questions and most likely have never been on a cruise ship or seen the hotels for Pre and Post stay nor do they know how to work the proper channels internally to fix an issue!

Just to clarify this..not sure how you thought I was putting them down

I worked for a minimum wage in a call center when I was younger.

As soon as any of us could find a higher paying job we did...that's human nature.

which leaves room for a "new hire" which in turn means they have A LOT to learn to answer all questions and most likely have never been on a cruise ship or seen the hotels for Pre and Post stay nor do they know how to work the proper channels internally to fix an issue!

That could be a huge part of the problem. I never quite thought about that aspect.

Land resorts you are always dealing with the manager or someone in charge

Complaints are going to a particular resort not a central area to be sorted through...big difference

I just adjusted my expectation :-)

Last summer we were on the Crown to the Baltic. My two boys wrote out postcards (a total of 12) to friends and family across the U.S. All postage was purchased at the purser's desk and supposedly mailed. NOT ONE PERSON RECEIVED THEIR POSTCARD. For you math majors out there, what is the statistical probability of that?

I wasn't expecting a free cruise but I did think Princess should be notified in case someone was throwing away the mail. I contacted Princess after around 2 1/2 months (supposedly they were to be mailed air-mail but I allowed time for alternate methods). I received the "we will look into it in 2-4 weeks " e-mail.

In December I sent them another e-mail because I never heard anything. Was looking for a we looked into this and we are sorry--that would have sufficed.

Instead, this is what I got....

"Your continued concern regarding your undelivered postcards has been noted. We would like to assure you that your concerns are being or have been addressed to the best of our abiliites of the experienced management involved. As we are sure you can imagine, it is NOT THE DUTY OF PERSONNEL IN THE CUSTOMER RELATIONS DEPARTMENT TO PERSONALLY CONDUCT FOLLOW-UP PROCEDURES WITH OTHER PERSONNEL IN THE COMPANY".

I thought this was unprofessional and unwarranted. Customer service 101 should have just been sorry, we are looking into this. Instead it was nothing and after a second corresspondence the reply was it wasn't their job to follow up on what happened.

We are again cruising this summer with Princess. Like I said earlier, I was more concerned about one of their employees or port contacts throwing away the mail.

My experience with "customer service".

I think the OP and others are asking and answering different questions

With regard to contac ting Princess for booking a cruise, changing a cruise, updating things for a cruise and asking questions before a cruise OK

For getting action while on the ship - normally the pursers desk if not marvellopus will get the job done

HOWEVER if you have a complaint you may as well start waiting for a reply.................and waiting for a reply......................and waiting for a reply You MAY get an acknowledgement if you are lucky but after that keeeeep waaaiting

My first communication with them was dated January stiiiiiilllll waiting

On one of the other threads a cruiser (working for another cruise line) said

when MacDonalds are hiring the whole customer relations team will leave!!!!! The turn over every few months is abnout 100%

He may be exaggerating but it appears that there is no one who will answer me although we have heard that if you give a compliment even on a thread you get a letter of thanks so the powers that be must spend some time reading these threads

I sailed on the Crown to the Baltic last July. We had several small issues on board that were readily resolved (e.g., one drink charge that was unfounded, missing shore excursion tix, did not have a table assignment at early TD in MD). All items were handled expeditiously, and with patience.

What most impressed me was the customer service that we did not solicit. My mother was in a wheelchair and the staff was so gracious and helpful. We wanted to book a shore excursion that was filled, and they found a way to fit us in. Our cabin stewardess worked within our schedule on not on her timeline.

We were most impressed with the customer service that we asked for and that which was bestowed without request.

I travel professionally, and I could only wish that that all hotels and resorts had an iota of the customer service on board the Crown.:)

It's really not a matter of how many cruises under my belt and I did not mean to imply that in any way...........I am just so glad it was not my first cruise because iI would not have chosen to cruise again and to think of what I would have been missing!!

My friend sailed Princess the same week as we did on another ship (Princess) and she has sailed over 20 cruises on "other" lines (multiple)...............we had the same "issues" without even chatting until our return............lack of good CUSTOMER SERVICE. She actually had many more problems than we did and a huge problem with an employee treating her elderly Mom horrible! She complained both verbal and in writing and .....customer service did nothing.

Are you serious? You must have had a new hire because I have gotten the best cust. service ever onboard! They let me make a phone call to home from the pursers desk FOR FREE to an ill relative...and it was my error!! I forgot to give my credit card number to relatives so they could call me onboard. Princess let me have UNLIMITED time on the phone while at sea!! I call that EXCEPTIONAL customer service.

True story!

I think the OP and others are asking and answering different questions

With regard to contac ting Princess for booking a cruise, changing a cruise, updating things for a cruise and asking questions before a cruise OK

For getting action while on the ship - normally the pursers desk if not marvellopus will get the job done

HOWEVER if you have a complaint you may as well start waiting for a reply.................and waiting for a reply......................and waiting for a reply You MAY get an acknowledgment if you are lucky but after that keeeeep waaaiting

My first communication with them was dated January stiiiiiilllll waiting

On one of the other threads a cruiser (working for another cruise line) said

when MacDonalds are hiring the whole customer relations team will leave!!!!! The turn over every few months is abnout 100%

He may be exaggerating but it appears that there is no one who will answer me although we have heard that if you give a compliment even on a thread you get a letter of thanks so the powers that be must spend some time reading these threads

Thank you. I know there are great on board experiences similar to me. I trying to gage how well they handle things after the fact...days, weeks, months

I have found a great difference between calling Princess where I can get different answers to the same question just by calling back. The phone representatives have little knowledge about the cruises and absolutely no knowledge about the ports of call. However once on the ship I find the service to be outstanding. I have always had excellent stewards and waiters. The ships officers have been charming and knowledgeable if I asked about the ship. The entertainment staff (like trivia etc.) have been excellent. On ship I have found some port lecturers to be outstanding and some to be just shopping shills. I avoid the shopping talks so that no longer irritates me.

I got great, friendly people calling Princess Customer Service..the PROBLEM is, it was always incorrect information. NOT good when we are talking transfers!

We got good, typical service on board. All the staff was very accomodating, but it was nothing that "wow'd" us. As far as the people at the customer relations desk on board (forget the name of that desk)...they were all business..not a single smile, and you could freeze ice on their behinds...but they did do their job.

When I think of good customer service, I think of friendly, kind, accurate, and prompt attention to details..being made to feel like an important person and not just another number.

Julie

If you go to any of the other large cruise line boards, you will be able to find the same exact thread, with the same complaints. Sure some people have problems on cruises. Some of the problems are resolved quickly and easily and some are not. Anyone who thinks it's only on Princes is fooling themselves. When you're dealing with that many people in a confined space, you'll have problems quite frequently. I'll even bet that the smaller and high end lines have their share of complaints (maybe less, but they have less passengers). Princess is a very good line, and has always done their best with any complaint we have had

I have had taxes increase on both RC and Celebrity. They were definitely passed on to me.

I don't see any cruise line I have experienced to be any better or worse. The people who have to deal with this are usually low-paid and in junior positions.

Archived