Diamond Services

• 2 weeks later...
can I ask? I am not quite clear on this. If you are just a diamond (not DP) and you go on Freedom class or higher, can you still use the diamond lounge? Or is that now just for DP?

YES! Freedom has a diamond lounge,as well as Liberty an Independance.

I just reread the new provisions on the RCI website again. It seems to me that it was initially lengthier and did make a more specific reference to the ships that currently do not have Concierge lounges.

I still believe that there will only be diamond events on ships that have a concierge lounge, but not a diamond lounge - in other words the ships that previously welcomed diamond members into the CL's at night. It just doesn't make sense to me that there would be a Diamond Event on those ships that don't have a CL (certain Vision Class ships, Sovereign class ships) when there's not a special venue for the suite level passengers. I think that we are going to find that if there wasn't an evening event before 9/1 - for anyone - that there won't be an evening event afterwards.

Adam Goldstein has recently addressed this issue on his Blog on the Royal Caribbean website. He has gotten plenty of negative feedback on this issue.

He mentioned in his blog the possibility of inserting the coupon books directly into your sea pass card. This would be nice when you want to use the coupon and it is sitting on the desk back in your cabin. Of course, it sounds like the new coupon books have been basically gutted with regard to Diamond and Diamond Plus, so who even cares?

Although my thinking is if they have the technology to do this then WHY NOT just insert your status into the card with a quota of two free liquor drinks or sodas per cocktail hour each day. You use them or loose them. Many will not even use them and for those that took advantage of the old system by plopping down and have numerous free cocktails that problem would be alleviated.

The way this was handled was the real problem. Let someone earn something and then take it away. Real nice way to treat your customers. But hey, it got me to open my eyes. We just got off a ship in Europe with the competition at the end of May. We had canceled an RCI cruise to do so. Before that we were cruising exclusively on RCI. Now we feel no obligation to have any Loyalty toward RCI. We will book RCI in the future when the prices drop last minute. With all the customers they have lost, there should be plenty of that happening.

JMO,

Colleen

I would rather them cut some of the benefits instead of increasing everyone's cruise fare by $100 to cover the rising costs of doing business. RCCL is doing what they need to do to make the "major shareholders" happy and to keep afloat in this economy. I think it is time to leave the subject alone and be very happy that we can still afford to go on cruises. That is my thoughts on the subject.

They did raise everyone's cruise fare by at least $100 -- where have you been? Actually when you count in the reduction in previous benefits (stockholder; diamond balcony; c & a coupons; etc.) they have raised prices a lot more than $100!

I'm not happy with the way RC didn't grand-father us Diamond members into the rewards we earned, but my bigger gripe is still the not being allowed to combine benefits. They offer new cruisers OBC's and discounts just as good for better then they offer the loyals.

We have 2 RC cruises coming up that we booked some time ago but unless the price comes down, a lot, we'll be looking at all the lines, prices and islands equally.

I thought it was interesting on the Radiance class ship is where it seemed to be an issue. And then they found room for the Diamonds....and they will have their breakfast. I know it doesn't officially start until September but everyone's minds are getting "wrapped" around the idea. I think though that as time goes on that as long as any cruise line knows that it has customers and not cattle for clients they will be better off. Truly I understand cost savings....always wondered why unlimited liquor for example instead of say 2 a night?? or xxx amount the cruise. The seapass card can be programmed for that. As well as some other areas/ideas out there.

Life does go on....I think the biggest issue was not what...but the giving of benefits and taking them away is what got people riled up. Just like a kid getting a gold star in school....earn the gold star and then take it away.

Lou

I like your style. Also, this would diminish the booze smuggling.

For us it is not the free liquor which seems to be an issue for many, but about the club atmosphere of the get togthers we have enjoyed in the upstairs lounge on R class ships--never overcrowded, well controlled & just a nice place to stop in & chat with experienced cruisers before dinner. We'll miss the CL where we used the computers frequently & enjoyed chatting with other Diamond cruisers--also never crowded when we stopped in...

Good news is coming on X --For those who enjoy the elegant ambiance of Celebrity, Michael's Clubs will be somehow used as Elite Lounges for a short period in the late afternoon.......& other perks also...Check out the Celebrity Board for more!

Archived