Has anyone had a good experience with updos

...done by the salon on a ship? I'm on the HA Eurodam-Baltic, July, and there are supposedly 3 formal nights. I'm well-versed in the 'art of the Chi' but I thought it might be nice one night to have my hair done by someone else, instead.

I wanted to do a big ponytail with a thin hairband and a 60's style 'bump' in the back, or maybe a Barbarella-type look--very 60's. (I've been inspired by Drew Barrymore's red carpet appearances for Grey Gardens). I bought those bumpitz, but I lack practice. My main concern is the handful of times I've had an updo (mainly for bridesmaid purposes), I always wound up looking tasteless, shellacked, and glittered beyond an inch of my life.

Do you find that the hairstylists aboard the ships cater to a mainly 'older' clientele and are more familiar with the 'roller set', or can they replicate an Instyle photo? I wonder if it's worth my time and expense, or if I should just do it myself.

Mind you, I'm on the Holland America Eurodam, so I know that the average age is a bit older...(I'm 35)...and I'm keeping that in mind.

tia for all answers! (I could just forego the updo and stick with a hot stone massage instead, right?);)

I think it varies. Maybe you could take a look when you get on board at who the specific stylists are and ask them if they've ever done what you are requesting before? (You'll be able to tell if they know what they're talking about.) Maybe you can ask the front-desk person if they recommend a specific stylist to achieve what you want? I agree...bring a pic.

As for the bump-its. I still have yet to figure out how to cover them with enough hair, yet still keep them as high as I want. Then again, I have tried using them with my hair down...I'm guessing it's easier with your hair up, especially if you have thick hair.

I did have an updo on Celebrity on would not do it again. I looked like a glued my hair to my head, one of the worst updo's ever. I will practice on myself, ask my stylist for help for our upcoming TA in April.HTH!

I could never get past the price. The salons on ship have a captive audience. The up-do I pay $25 for at home costs $75 + on board. No thanks; for $50 I'll wear my hair down or learn to DIY. :rolleyes: I once made friends w/ another passanger who was great with hair & she did my hair. That was fun. :)

The last time I had my hair done in an updo was in the '60's - I have straight, thick hair and the whole thing was falling apart by the end of the evening. A few years later, since updo's were still fashionable and being in college I was attending a lot of formal affairs, I invested in a real hair "wiglet." I could send it to the salon to be done up in thick curls or kept smooth for a chignon look. All I had to do was pull my hair up and attach it - worth whatever it was I paid for it. Don't know why anything like this isn't still available (or maybe it is, don't know).

I think I would tend to spend my $65++ elsewhere - after all, even IF it comes out looking good, it's only for one night - that's a lot of cosmos. I did have my hair cut on a Celebrity cruise several years ago - maybe I just lucked out, but it was one of the best haircuts I've ever had.

Archived