Any ships still going to Acalpulco?

cruiseman40

From what I gather it was a very bad part of Acapulco and asking if cruiselines were going to stop using Acapulco as a port stop would be like asking if tour companies were going to be stopping trips to Disneyland because of all the drug and gang violence in East LA.....:rolleyes:

The area of the gunfight/deaths is not considered a bad part of town. One of the two areas involved was a 10-minute walk from the cruise ship terminal, and in the area between the terminal and where the cliff divers perform. This took place in the heart of the "traditional" zone - where Mexico's resort tourism began 40 years ago. If cruise ships were to avoid places in Mexico where there is high crime - and Acapulco hasn't been high on that list until now - thery'd bypass most ports in the country. This is low season for ships, so not many people will be in the area until the Fall. It was a very serious incident and no such things don't happen in all big cities where tourists visit.

It was a very serious incident and no such things don't happen in all big cities where tourists visit.

No, things like this don't happen all the time in big international cities, but things do happen. Last time I was in NYC (Times Square) we came out of our nice hotel and there was yellow tape and a HUGE puddle of blood at the front door, so either several people were severely injured or a couple people died there, so bad things do happen, we are not safe in lots of places. Might as well hide at home if you're worried.

No, things like this don't happen all the time in big international cities, but things do happen. Last time I was in NYC (Times Square) we came out of our nice hotel and there was yellow tape and a HUGE puddle of blood at the front door, so either several people were severely injured or a couple people died there, so bad things do happen, we are not safe in lots of places. Might as well hide at home if you're worried.

I agree... I live about 2 hours from Vancouver BC where they have had over 20 murders this year alone due to gangs and drugs.....For some reason Go-Mexico should be renamed Against-Mexico because almost every third post is against Mexico......

Every account I have read of this states it is a run-down part of Acapulco, granted it Go-Mexico has far more dealings with Acapluco then I have BUT this is copied from the OP's link. Hardly the tourist area that I know of in PV..:rolleyes:

>>>The battle erupted after soldiers received a tip that a group of armed men were gathered at a gated house in a seedy section of Acapulco where working-class homes bleed into 1950s mansions. One hotel across from the street from the shootout offers three-hour stays for 30 pesos, about $2.25.<<

>>

Really read the article. This single incident happened in a very old part of Acapulco ("in an area that seems frozen in the 50's") It happened in an area where "working class" citizen's (mostly from Mexico City) go to vacation because it is so run down and inexpensive for them.

In other words, the violence did not occur in areas that cruise ship passengers nor land based non-Mexican tourists generally go to. From the article "The battle erupted after soldiers received a tip that a group of armed men were gathered at a gated house in a seedy section of Acapulco where working-class homes bleed into 1950s mansions. One hotel across from the street from the shootout offers three-hour stays for 30 pesos, about $2.25." Gee, a 3 hour hotel stay for $2.25. I wonder what that is for?

It is also interesting that while the article also mentions Cancun as a similar area where violence has occurred, there was no questioned posed. "Any ships still going to Cancun?"

Nor does anyone even think to stop visiting cities all over the rest of the world where violence occurs daily. The term "going postal" did not originate in Mexico, nor have they had something like Colombine (sp?) occur there either. Guns kill people no matter who is holding them. Whether it's the military, a drug lord's soldiers, a nut job, or the meth junkie who might be living right next door to you.

Archived