Unthought of...things to pack!

What are things that you didn't think you may have needed to pack but it resulted that ..aha!, it would have been a good idea to put in your luggage??

We are traveling on Liberty of the Seas on June 13th-20th. For shore excursions, we are doing the following:

Labadee, Haiti : Parasailing

Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Bobslead & Tubing (White water rapids)

Grand cayman: Waverunners to Stingray City

Cozumel: ATV & Beach day

Any suggestions for both onboard and offshore activities or extra stuff to make our stay comfortable???

Well, I am usually thankful for first aid type things that have come in handy, such as band aids and pepto bismol (my miracle drug). Nothing can hamper a vacation like little illnesses. A few times I wish I had something for sunburn!

Also, I pack several zip lock bags for various things like dirty clothes, small items. I use huge zip lock bags to pack separate items (like tops, underwear, bathing suits, etc.). This way if security needs to rumple through my things, they can see them without making a big mess. I read about this tip here on CC and added them after the big mess happened once.

As you can tell, I am overly organized!:D

Well, I am usually thankful for first aid type things that have come in handy, such as band aids and pepto bismol (my miracle drug). Nothing can hamper a vacation like little illnesses. A few times I wish I had something for sunburn!

Also, I pack several zip lock bags for various things like dirty clothes, small items. I use huge zip lock bags to pack separate items (like tops, underwear, bathing suits, etc.). This way if security needs to rumple through my things, they can see them without making a big mess. I read about this tip here on CC and added them after the big mess happened once.

I agree with both the first aid supplies and the ziploc bags! I would add a nightlight, a power strip, the new little mini-Lysol spray (for the cabin and bathroom), Clorox wipes (I wipe down every surface that hands touch, as soon as we enter our cabin), and hand sanitizer (for shore excursions). I'm not OCD about germs....just cautious.

We always take wet wash cloths in ziploc bags on our shore excursions, when we are some place where the weather is warm. It is SO nice to get back in the van or bus and be able to wash our faces and hands with cool wash cloths....especially if it's a long ride back to the ship.

Oh, and let's not forget duct tape.......there are many threads discussing the pros and cons of duct tape. :D

The obvious is sunscreen-- But I have saw a lot of cruisers who failed to use it and were rushing through out the shops trying to find Aloe jell or after sun lotion with lanicane for their burns. ;)If there is a chance you will get a sunburn take it with you its much cheaper at home. :D

A cheap-o shoe organizer to hang over your closet door! I learned about that here on CC (and many other useful tips like the power strip and post-it notes) and it was essential :)

We did the parasailing at Labadee! Loved it!

I've never ever come close to needing the duct tape that so many people swear by.

Nor the over-the-door shoe organizer for toiletries. With the incredibly annoying limitations that the airlines give you for carry on luggage (and even prior to that) I found it pretty easy to just leave everything in my make up case or on the shelf under the sink. I don't take that much stuff with me, I guess.

Don't forget the sunscreen!!!!!!!

And one great thing that CCers love that I haven't seen mentioned yet is a highlighter. They're FABULOUS for highlighting stuff on the Compass that you want to do. There are so many things listed that it really becomes a godsend.

Also I always bring a travel alarm clock. I'd rather rely on my clock than a wake-up call, and I love knowing what time it is!

Small flashlight, nightlight, sunscreen and moisturizer, power strip. I also bring immodium and heartburn/gas/indigestion medication (plus my seasickness stuff since I take it everyday). Small binoculars(pretty powerful) also come in handy. For alarm clock we use my DH's cheapo casio watch. It's waterproof and my DH wears it most of the time.

Alarm clock,lighted if possible

Night light, especially if you have an inside cabin.

My best item is a LLBean Travel Clock. It folds flat, includes a temperture, and comes with a night light. They offer them in assorted colors.

LLBeanTravelCLock.jpg.e713032f156d1d7009d4585bf22607c8.jpg

I've never needed duct tape (I'm sure the maintenence dept has some if I really need it!), or a clock, or an "over the door" storage thingy!

I do use binoculars EVERY day--there's an awful lot to see at sea!

Hi Lauramsr,

the 1 other thing that I would add to this list.

We bought a LLbean knapsack that packs/folds into self when you dont need it- holds up to 15lbs... Works nice:)

Kathyr

Totally agree on the first aid stuff. We bring Rolaids, extra-strength Tylenol, Advil PM's, etc. We usually don't end up using most of the stuff, but I just don't want to spend a lot of time on my cruise or in port scurrying around trying to find something for a bruise or a headache.

Some other things that we always make sure to pack that you might not always think of.. deodorizing spray for the room/bathroom, chewing gum/mints, Tide to-go pens, anti-bacterial hand gel, a light wrap or shawl for the dining room (it can get freezing).. those are the ones that are immediately coming to mind.

Some flat magnets to post route map, schedules, reminders, invitations and such on the cabin wall.

A small flashlight to keep on the bedside stand. Prefer it to a night light because I can point it exactly where I need the light. Convenient if you drop something on the floor or need to find something in a drawer or adjust the temperature in the middle of the night and don't want to turn on overhead lights.

Extra reading glasses and sunglasses.

Hat with a string so I don't lose it when it blows off my head. Also, when I take it off it hangs there so I don't have to carry it.

If I don't have a highlighter, I just circle or mark the activities of interest on the daily schedule with a pen or pencil.

Never had a problem with any ship's wake-up call, but did with an alarm clock when the battery ran low. Now I am wondering if any travel clocks come with an indicator showing the remaining battery life.

ALOE VERA!!!! you don't anticipate getting sunburned when you bring sunscreen with you; however, we got burned once and had to buy aloe on the ship for lik 10 bucks!!

bring all OTC meds you can think of. I get the weekly med containers and label each 'day' with a different med. gas/indigestion/diarrhea/benadryl/motion sickness.....etc....

you get the picture. as well as tylenol, motrin, etc.... all that stuff is mega expensive on the boat and you never know when you will eat something that doesn't agree with you, have trouble sleeping, need tylenol for sunburn. etc......

We bring a small rolling cooler and a smaller soft side cooler ice down sodas and water. We keep it in the bathroom or on a towel for sweating.

We also bring a roll up camping table for the balcony and 2 camp stools. Great for a private balcony breakfast or lunch!

A small fan for air circulation and white noise at night. A "pop light" for the inside cabin dwellers (my DS's this trip) by the bed to see to get to the bathroom by.

All the camera/video accessories and extra batteries!

I also bring my sense of adventure and an open mind. I leave my troubles at home! They will be there when I get back!

Jacquelyn :D

It has been said, but I can't emphasize enough the need for a power strip for all those chargers you'll bring.

The I go power system eliminates the need for a power strip. Best thing that I could have bought years ago. Covers all my electronics, pda, cell, 2 camera's, ipod, and battery charger.

Denise

I've made up little "business" cards that have our email address and our Facebook information that we pass out to all of the wonderful friends we've met on cruises - that way, we've stayed in touch. On the business cards, I put our name (duh!), the ship name, the dates of the cruise, and then the email & Facebook info - that way, if people find our card later, they'll "remember" where they met us!

Sherri

Archived