Long beach luggage porters

On embarkation (5/31) the luggage porter basically threatened the loss of our bags (3 bags) if we did not tip MORE. This "Hustling" must stop. My DW was nervous. So I tipped an extra $5, and the PORTER told us everything will be "A" ok.

Originally, I tipped the guy $10 for 4 bags. But then he started telling DW that her shoes might get lost, so instead of K!CK the GUYS A $ $ , I decided to tip him 5 more dollars and start the vacation in a nice way.

I made a comment to a Carnival staff member.

Just be careful and dont let an incident like this ruin your first impression of your vacation. I had a bitter taste in my mouth.

On embarkation (5/31) the luggage porter basically threatened the loss of our bags (3 bags) if we did not tip MORE. This "Hustling" must stop. My DW was nervous. So I tipped an extra $5, and the PORTER told us everything will be "A" ok.

Originally, I tipped the guy $10 for 4 bags. But then he started telling DW that her shoes might get lost, so instead of K!CK the GUYS A $ $ , I decided to tip him 5 more dollars and start the vacation in a nice way.

Just be careful and dont let an incident like this ruin your first impression of your vacation. I had a bitter taste in my mouth.

We've sailed from LB 3 times and never had this problem, I'm sure it was just this one porter's bad attitude and could happen anywhere.

Edited by cathyz

The Porters work for the Port of Los Angeles, not for Carnival, so I would recommend to get their names and notify the Port when you get back. They do not like this going on and they will fire them.

I don't believe this.......

Ditto. And if something like that ever happened, why wouldn't you grab back your bags, find another porter, and report the guy? :confused:

"ok...here's more money...take my bags"

I don't believe it.:rolleyes:

The Porters work for the Port of Los Angeles, not for Carnival, so I would recommend to get their names and notify the Port when you get back. They do not like this going on and they will fire them.

They might get talked to, but I doubt they'll get fired, they're highly protected by the Longshoreman's Union.

Those of you who are so quick to call the OP a liar...are you new here?

There have been many conversations here about porters trying to swindle more money from passengers. There was a large thread about one porter in particular (from Fla I think) that even included pics of the culprit.

Just because an incident hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.:rolleyes:

I know how I would handle the situation, and it wouldn't be by giving the jerk more money. But then, not everyone enjoys a confrontation as much as I do.

• Like 1

There have been many conversations here about porters trying to swindle more money from passengers. There was a large thread about one porter in particular (from Fla I think) that even included pics of the culprit.

Just because an incident hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.:rolleyes:

I know how I would handle the situation, and it wouldn't be by giving the jerk more money. But then, not everyone enjoys a confrontation as much as I do.

Those who do not believe this happened are the ones who have fallen into the group of nothing can go wrong on a cruise. And it is all your fault if it did. I will say my may 31 Splendor cruise went off without a hitch, and I could not be happier. But I to would have handled this a lot differently.

I don't believe this.......

Why not?

It is widely reported about a specific porter in Miami that does this all the time. If they can get away with it why not? No one takes the time to report them and they end up with extra money.

I believe it, but I don't think that anything would have happened to the luggage, if more of a tip had not appeared.

hhhmmmmmm...this might have just been your specific porter.

When we were there, our porter came over to the parking lot adjacent to the port to get our groups luggage from the van. He had it piled high and wheeled it out and around the curb. Down about 300 yards of driveway. :eek:

We had tipped him well when he came over and loaded up. He never asked for any thing and came right over when our driver waved him down, like it was nothing out of the ordinary.

:D

I would of reported the guy to a Carnival Rep and his Supervisor, then took my own luggage onboard myself, when asked at the terminal why I am not checking in my luggage I would of told them about the incident.

I would of also called Head of Port Security there as well. Taken a Picture of the guy to post all over the internet and email the picture to everyone involve up the chain of command.

I carry a Digital Voice recorder, and this is what I talk into when I talk notes before I write a cruise review. These Digital Voice recorders cost around 15.00 at Frys and you can get up to 70 hours of recording time.

This Porter must be new because out of the many times I have sailed out of Long Beach this is a first.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

By the way, this happened to me once in Miami on one of my first cruises, I told the guy to Kiss my Freakin back side (have to keep it clean) and took my luggage to another bin.

We usually check in 3 luggages in Long Beach and tip 3 to 5 dollars, depending on how cheerful the Porter is.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

I worked for Celebrity when they were sailing from Baltimore and worked with some of these guys. They are highly paid Longshoreman but they work the cruise ships on their off time to make extra money. That being said, it is a highly coveted job. Our crew's boss said if any of his guys ever asked for a tip they would be taken off the crew. They could not be fired from their regular job over it but they would lose the extra income. They made alot of money working the cruise ships for a few hours. Most of them where great guys but there were a few who were there to do as little as possible for the most money they could get. If one of these guys threatens you get his name and ask for the supervisor. There really is little they can do to your bag. Once it is in the big bin they no longer have any contact with it. If you see it go into the bin with other luggage it should be fine. They don't work in a vacuum and it would be noticeable to others he is working with if he left the area with someone's bag out of the bin. Most of the luggage we had reported as lost was actually lost on the ship not at the port. It was usually found left in a corner or delivered to the wrong cabin. We did have a couple bags fall off the bins a few times into the harbor and one bag that somehow got mangled by the x ray. We never did figure out what happened to that one but it was awful. The number of bags that are lost is very low compared to the amount that are handled. So don't let these guys intimidate you, believe me if reported you have much more power than they do. Cindy

Edited by mosel

I believe it and it happened to us last year in Ft Lauderdale, we paid(extortion) the porter to move our bags 3 feet from the back of our car into the cages, I handed him $10(yes they were 7 heavy bags), he looked at it and started taking all my bags to the center of the parking lot and said "I hope they make the right ship" my friend a BSO(Broward Sheriffs Officer) was working that day and I waved him over to tell him what was happening and he notified someone. Last we saw 3 porters gently put our bags back into the cages and saw the original thug being walked away...

Ditto. And if something like that ever happened, why wouldn't you grab back your bags, find another porter, and report the guy? :confused:

"ok...here's more money...take my bags"

I don't believe it.:rolleyes:

Exactly!!!

No........

Those who do not believe this happened are the ones who have fallen into the group of nothing can go wrong on a cruise. And it is all your fault if it did. I will say my may 31 Splendor cruise went off without a hitch, and I could not be happier. But I to would have handled this a lot differently.

Actually if this did happen.......it is the posters fault for falling for it;)

I believe it and it happened to us last year in Ft Lauderdale, we paid(extortion) the porter to move our bags 3 feet from the back of our car into the cages, I handed him $10(yes they were 7 heavy bags), he looked at it and started taking all my bags to the center of the parking lot and said "I hope they make the right ship" my friend a BSO(Broward Sheriffs Officer) was working that day and I waved him over to tell him what was happening and he notified someone. Last we saw 3 porters gently put our bags back into the cages and saw the original thug being walked away...

10.00 for 7 bags? :eek:

I had a similar experience in Miami a few years ago. We took a taxi to the port, and I gave the porter a $5 bill. He took two bags and walked away from the third. I had to put $5 more in front of his face in order to get the last bag taken to one of the cages.

So the OP is correct, it happens.

David

10.00 for 7 bags? :eek:

First of all there is a great big sign saying NO TIPPING, porters are port paid employees(but we know we have to surcumb>sp<to extortion.

Second I was putting them in myself as it was right next to my car but the porter came over to help(help himself into my pocket)

lucky for him I didn't throw him 2 quarters and tell him to get lost you filthy animal, that would have got some points.

Exactly!!!

No........

Actually if this did happen.......it is the posters fault for falling for it;)

I forgot to mention. The bags were already loaded up and I had three crying kids. Like I said, these guys all work together. If u spite one, the other will go and lose your bag. On a 7 day cruise, I am not willing to have missing bags, so the extra 5 bucks was a good reassurance. Also I did report this Porter.

I just wanted to mention this incident to you, so others will not fall into the trap that I did.

HAVE FUN! ENJOY THE CRUISE, it was NICE!

First of all there is a great big sign saying NO TIPPING, porters are port paid employees(but we know we have to surcumb>sp<to extortion.

Second I was putting them in myself as it was right next to my car but the porter came over to help(help himself into my pocket)

lucky for him I didn't throw him 2 quarters and tell him to get lost you filthy animal, that would have got some points.

That is true..there is a sign at Port Everglades that says No Tipping.

I too experienced this issue there...except we actually placed our own bags into the cages while the porters stood by, then as we walked away (after putting the bags in the cages), one of the yelled back "Did you want these bags on this ship?"...DH walks over, "If they dont make it on, I will be back in 7 days to kick your "butt". Our luggage was fine.