Alpmac-Cost of taxi to Paynes Round Trip?

RedRox

Hi All,

I'm directing this post to Alpmac simply because he seems to be the master of Barbados info. I just read on another post that a group of 5 paid $40 each way to Paynes Bay. Is this the cost? We are only a group of 2. Also, what do you think would be the added cost if we opted to add a small tour of the island on the trip to or from Paynes? Thanks to Alpmac and any others!

Hi All,

I'm directing this post to Alpmac simply because he seems to be the master of Barbados info.

I just read on another post that a group of 5 paid $40 each way to Paynes Bay. Is this the cost?

We are only a group of 2.

Also, what do you think would be the added cost

if we opted to add a small tour of the island on the trip to or from Paynes?

Thanks to Alpmac and any others!

Now if yew'da bin payin attenshun and read other threads

yew woulda seen that ah own mah own car

and con-see-quently don't use no taxis, here on da islan.

Y'all ask me about taxi fares, every time

but it's the one thing that I'm not the master of Barbados info about!

And by the way, yew should never end a sentence with a proposition...heck no...that's a preposition.

The matter of Barbados taxi-fares is very much up to the cruise-tourists who have used those services recently

and I'm pretty sure it can vary and fluctuate depending on negotiating skills, how many ppl are travelling,

whether the Bank loan on the vehicle has/has-not bin paid off yet

-any number of factors. :)

Now run along,y'all -and play nicely...I'm busy. :D

SteelBand.jpg

We were in Barbados last week. Taxi offered 2 of us $30 round trip. We opted for the bus after passing all the taxi drivers that were like leeches trying to get our business. We paid $1.50 usd for 2 people one way to paynes. There were a family of 3 right next to us on the beach that payed $30 one way. They decided to hangout with us and use the bus. We all ended up going from Paynes over to Rockley and had a great time. So for two people round trip and 2 beaches we paid $4.50 usd total.

That sounds like a much better deal! Did you feel safe taking the bus? Also, how (in great detail please) did you get the bus and know when to get off, etc. We don't mind "trying" to be a local for a day, as long as we have the details!

Yes, we felt comfortable riding the bus. As you get off the ship.....just walk straight out the terminal. As you exit the cruise terminal there will be tons of taxi drivers trying to get your business. They will talk you out of going to certain beaches and try to get you to go to others.....They will tell you the bus is not a good way to get around and that its not dependable and that you will have to be waiting for an hour to an hour and a half etc.......Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!! Just by pass them and keep walking up the street. It will be about a 5-10 min walk. You will pass a couple of shopping centers on the left......We even stopped at a cigar store (we dont smoke) and you can see from start to finish how they make cigars.....it was pretty interesting.......Anyway keep on walking and you will see the bus terminal on the left. Hop on a bus that says Speightstown. Ask them if they go to Paynes Bay. The cost is $0.75 USD no matter where you take the bus on the island. They will let you know when to get off. They will drop you off across the street from an Esso gas station. Just walk in the same direction the bus was going and you will walk in between 2 hotels. It looks as if it is an alley but it it completely safe. Once you walk through this little "alley" You are on the beach. Make a right and you will be able to see people out snorkelling with the turtles. You will even see catamarans out there. If in doubt, just ask one of the locals. They are all really friendly. To return back to the ship.......just walk by the ESSO Station and wait at the bus stand that says to city......remember they drive on the opposite side of the road. Wait for the bus that says Bridgetown. We actually took another bus and went to the southside of the island (Rockley/accra beach). Hope this helps.

Wait for the bus that says Bridgetown.

We actually took another bus and went to the southside of the island (Rockley/accra beach)..

That bus you took from Paynes Bay area over to Accra/Rockley

is what we call the Bypass bus

because it by-passes the city of Bridgetown!

All other bus routes pretty much hub into and out of Bridgetown

but the (hourly?) City Bypass bus does the West coast road, goes around the City

and makes its way along the South Coast, passing Rockley

until it gets as far as Oistins town

where it terminates, waits awhile and then does the whole thing in reverse again.

Along the West Coast, I think it goes as far North as Speightstown, but I'm not dead-sure of that

(I can't see it terminating..turning around ..at Holetown, halfway up the coast)

Most all other bus routes come and go from Bridgetown

albeit from two different terminals on opposite sides of the City

-one of them fortunately close to the Port(the one that handles West Coast routes)..

although I believe there's another of those specialty routes

that goes from Bathsheba on the East Coast -over the highland spine of the island

to Speightstown on the West Coast

but don't you quote me on that, because I'm no expert on taxi fares or local bus routes

Did you feel safe taking the bus?
The big BLUE buses with a yellow stripe, that say Barbados Transport Board on their sides...

are Government-run ..and are quite safe and 'civilized' -staid even! :)

It's the privately run yellow buses with a blue stripe that can be kinda counter-culture

with loud Dub music sometimes and schoolkids at times ..can be a bit wild..but rarely un-safe ;)

Look...this picture shows one of the smaller Transport Board shuttle buses that run within the Port itself..

Shuttle-26.jpg

..saving you the rather long walk from out on the arm, to the Terminal Bldg.

My point is... the color scheme on this smaller bus!

What you're looking for --when you get outside the Port--

is this bus's bigger brother, wearing the same color scheme, ok?

-and yes, the City By-pass bus will also be wearing this same color scheme

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived