All inclusive cruise

Many (if not all) of the luxury lines already do this. It's far from the only reason, but one of the reasons their cruises start at $3,000-$4,000.

Years ago I would NOT have wanted alcohol included. Today I'd love it. But it's really hard to call it fair since a lot of people don't drink and have no interest in paying for my alcohol (which I find very unfriendly of them).

Besides there'd probably be a LOT more drunkos on board who couldn't control themselves. Kinda like people who have a hard time controlling themselves at a buffet (present company included).

Many (if not all) of the luxury lines already do this. It's far from the only reason, but one of the reasons their cruises start at $3,000-$4,000.

Years ago I would NOT have wanted alcohol included. Today I'd love it. But it's really hard to call it fair since a lot of people don't drink and have no interest in paying for my alcohol (which I find very unfriendly of them).

Besides there'd probably be a LOT more drunkos on board who couldn't control themselves. Kinda like people who have a hard time controlling themselves at a buffet (present company included).

reading this made me :D

I completely agree. I think they should help pay for my bar bill as well :p:D

I would be happy with them letting you bring alcohol on board and stop treating grown adults like children in that regard. Charge a corking fee if you want, but allow 2 bottles of wine or liquor per person. You can still do your searches and now for every "smuggled" bottle you find, you just add a certain dollar charge to the smugglers sea pass account and away they go (Yeah, I know that part just might not fly). But it's an added revenue stream for them and your customers are a little happier.

I would also like to see some sort of discounted beverage card. Purchase 10 beverages for X amount of dollars which gives you a percentage of savings or something similar. They might actually make more money because people may buy beverages that they don't cash in. But it gives people that would like to have a few drinks throughout the cruise a more cost effective option.

My 2 cents.

Eric

I would also like to see some sort of discounted beverage card. Purchase 10 beverages for X amount of dollars which gives you a percentage of savings or something similar. They might actually make more money because people may buy beverages that they don't cash in. But it gives people that would like to have a few drinks throughout the cruise a more cost effective option.

My 2 cents.

Eric

That card would be a fabulous idea. First of all, they'd make money ANYWAY, because of the ridiculous mark-up. So if people think they're getting a bargain, I'd imagine they'd be MUCH more likely to pay the lower prices up front, thereby spending more money than without the card...when they'd just say, "I'm switching to soda since I'm running low on money."

As for bringing the bottles of wine onboard (something I've loved on Princess), that would certainly get me to still buy alcohol on the ship. After a while you need some alcohol to get rid of that "wine taste." :) Besides, once you start drinking, it's fun to continue!

I know it's a question for the cruise lines, but don't you think that cruise lines should start experimenting with selling all inclusive (alcohol) tickets?

Pullmantur (owned by RCCL) does it

caribbeanboy: Pullmantur are an all-inclusive line as far as all drinks (both alcoholic for all passengers over 18 years and non-alcoholic for everyone), no tickets or seacards required unless you order the real premium drinks like champagne and single malt Scotches.

This is proabably the reason they were the fastest growing European cruise line before the recession, and why RCCL had to transfer all that used tonnage to them, Empress, Sovereign, Zenith, Horizon with others to follow when the economic climate improves.

As someone who has actually sailed on a Pullmantur ship, I must dispel that myth about the possibility of obnoxious drunks everywhere, it didn't happen on the ship I was on. But then again there were no young Americans or Brits ( other than some expat Brits from Spain) aboard. Another myth is that only expensive luxury ships are all-inclusive, Pullmantur charges mainstream cruiseline prices. Mind you, just like AIs in Mexico and DR a knowledge of Spanish helps but not absolutely necessary.

I don't really want all inclusive (it would cost way too much more as a base price), I'd just like to see more specials and alternative packages. The X1 on Costa was really cool as were the cheap wine packages and beer coupons on MSC. I think the Italians have figured it out.

Not sure how I'm going to be able to afford to drink on RCCL :eek:.

I think the idea of a prepaid drink card is smart. A conservative drinker buys a 5 or 10 drink card, the first day is usually party day for most cruisers from what I have read on CC. So you use 3-4 maybe more of your alloted drinks. By the 3rd or 4th day you are either paying for the drinks per drink, or buying another card.

Or if you are not a big drinker you only use 3 or 4 for the entire cruise and the line makes money on drinks paid for and not consumed.

They can have their wait staff keep an eye out for cards that have only 1 or 2 drinks left and try to sell them another card when they are feelin' good or feelin' no pain.

From most of the cruises I have been on in the last 5 years I would say that all inclusive would get out of hand. Like one poster said puking people is not fun.

I do like the idea of a drink card with say 5 or 10 drinks. RCL did this awhile back. But an all inclusive drink program that you can purchase spells for a LOT of trouble.

Most everyone who would buy this would make sure they got their moneys worth

I know it's a question for the cruise lines, but don't you think that cruise lines should start experimenting with selling all inclusive (alcohol) tickets?

Pullmantur (owned by RCCL) does it

Terrible Idea, people can not control themselfs, too many trunks on board, I see disaster.

Not for me! I hardly drink enough to justify it.

As for drunkos (Amy's word;)), this is why we don't have open bar at holiday parties ... people just drink to drink and have no incentive to stop.:eek:

Note to self: Decline Moondawgie's 2009 Holiday party invitation...

All-inclusive cruises as a choice you can make, maybe. Even the option for some type of alcohol vouchers might be nice for some.

We wouldn't cruise anymore if it was required to do an all-inclusive. Those prices are higher because they include things like sodas and alcohol (neither of which we drink). Not to mention we have a low bill anyways...that extra cost wouldn't make much sense to us.

Half the reason we cruise is because its a very good value for what we get.

We aren't really big drinkers anymore...we still drink, but it's in moderation..

I think it might work if they were to offer a "drink plan" like they do with the soda...

We don't drink a lot of soda either, so we don't purchase the card, just pay as we go...and the same would apply for a "cocktail card". They could do it on a "point" system- x amount of points= x amount of $$. That way they could also set limits-for example, a screwdriver or beer might be 2 points, but a Long Island Iced Tea might be 5 points...the more alcohol, the higher the "point price"...

JMHO

Can you answer a? what is the difference between iced tea which is free and a long island iced tea.

Thanks

Long Island Iced Tea is made with a combination of alcohols and mixers, where iced tea is ice and tea. In other words, I don't think you can get drunk on iced tea, but you SURE can on Long Island Iced Tea.:D

Archived