All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

Sorry to disagree, but IMHO, the cabanas are really not worth the extra $ you pay to rent one. Even if they were free, I wouldn't use one. The beach is great, the food is good, there is plenty of shade near the tree line, there are thousands of beach lounge chairs, bar service is probably better on the beach(every few minutes), a great offshore breeze, plenty of activities other than lounging around in a cabana. I have visited all the cruise company's private islands on our 25+ cruises over 20 years and this is the best island to explore, so why spend the whole day in a cabana?

[quote name='blueridgecruiser']Sorry to disagree, but IMHO, the cabanas are really not worth the extra $ you pay to rent one. Even if they were free, I wouldn't use one. The beach is great, the food is good, there is plenty of shade near the tree line, there are thousands of beach lounge chairs, bar service is probably better on the beach(every few minutes), a great offshore breeze, plenty of activities other than lounging around in a cabana. I have visited all the cruise company's private islands on our 25+ cruises over 20 years and this is the best island to explore, so why spend the whole day in a cabana?[/QUOTE]

Why not spend the day relaxing in a cabana?

It they were free, you would be the first in line.

[quote name='CruiserBruce']Don't worry Typhoon 1, that just means it will be easier for you and I to get a cabana next time we are there. Which, in our case is Dec 2011, when we are doing a B2B, in order to get two cabanas!!![/QUOTE]

I know what your saying Bruce. When these people who have never tried a cabana start imparting their wisdom on the rest, I tend to take issue.

They hate to part with the $$$ is what it boils down to.

B2B next year sounds like a great time. We won't get to see HMC until 2012, as our February cruise won't be stopping there.

[quote name='Jamnuts']But do you recommend the cabana when there are only 2 of us? It seems a bit expensive, but is it really worth it?:confused:[/quote]

Absolutely. I am sure Typhoon1 will agree. As mentioned, we are specifically booking a B2B, so we can get a cabana twice. With Butler upgrade. DW requires a cabana boy:D:D:D Edited by CruiserBruce

[quote name='Jamnuts']But do you recommend the cabana when there are only 2 of us? It seems a bit expensive, but is it really worth it?:confused:[/quote]
Do you want to be in the water or sitting in a cabana most of the day? That is a toss up of what you like to do? We had four ppl so the cost to rent the snorkel gear and mats and then the pop and snacks was worth it to us plus having storage for all our things. But two people- that's a hard one. It all depends what your likes are. Are you active? We didn't sit in our cabana to much. We liked being in the water- we'd get out- dry off a bit and then go right back in. If you like to just lounge or need air conditioning it will be worth it.

[quote name='Jamnuts']But do you recommend the cabana when there are only 2 of us? It seems a bit expensive, but is it really worth it?:confused:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think twice about renting a cabana for the two of us. We always rent one, and ususally invite friends we meet on board the ship to join us if they are interested.

You'll find it is the best investment you will have made during your cruise. Edited by Typhoon1

[quote name='pghsteelerfan']There was a group of people snorkeling, on their own & not on a tour, at the end of the beach (to the right if you are looking out towards the ocean), way down and just before the rocks. I talked to them along the beach before we got to that point and they were told by others that it was a great spot. It's quite a hike (15 - 20 minutes to get there). It looked like a great area to snorkel, but I didn't bring my snorkel gear and didn't feel like walking back down after I'd gotten back to where our beach chairs were. There are also snorkeling excursions offered through the ships, so maybe someone who has been on one can tell you if they liked it and if it was worth the $$$. In the area where the beach chairs (and cabanas) are, it's just sand and very clear water - like a huge swimming pool.

[/quote]

Looking for some more information on the snorkelling area at the far end of the beach. Anyone heard anything, or tried it?

I plan on doing this but I see we are departing on our cruises on the same day :D. I've been to HMC twice before and only snorkeled near the Private Oasis - only place that there was any fish. This time I plan on walking all the way down to snorkel. It would be nice to hear from someone that has done it recently though. Have fun on your day in HMC!

Hi, I wonder if anyone tried the Eco Lagoon Cruise offered by HAL? It's $39 per person. The Glass Bottom Boat is $29 per person. I wonder which one can see more fish? I have a 10 month old baby. Which excursion should I choose? Or maybe I should just stay at the beach? Can I take the baby stroller to the beach, or I should just use a baby carrier to carry my baby? I saw some posts said that the food on HMC is free because it is taken from the ship. Do I need to join the ship excursion to get the free food?

Thanks!

The food is free to everyone. Some will object to "free", as it is included in your cruise fare, just like lunch on the ship. But you don't have to take a tour to get the lunch.

I don't think your stroller would be a good idea on the beach.

I can't answer your questions about the tours. Edited by CruiserBruce

[quote name='Cornishpastyman1']
It's a proper island paradise and for a single day almost nowhere on earth is nicer. But would you soon be bored ?[/quote]

If going 90 mph ( or perhaps 135 kph) is your desired pace, you might be a little bored. Might be. Maybe.

But if a relaxing beach day is your goal, than it is, as you say, "a proper island paradise... and nowhere on earth is nicer" just about says it all. Edited by CruiserBruce

I notice HAL doesn't have float mats listed on the shore excursion prices, can we rent them when we get to Half Moon Cay?
Do we pay in cash or charge to shipboard account?

I was hoping to get one for my mum to make the lounger a bit more padded, I saw some photos of people lying on them on loungers. Do they work well like this?

[quote name='debsjc']I notice HAL doesn't have float mats listed on the shore excursion prices, can we rent them when we get to Half Moon Cay?
Do we pay in cash or charge to shipboard account?
[/QUOTE]

Everything at HMC is charged to your shipboard account.

Float mats are included if you rent a cabana.

[quote name='nuthut'][quote name='trock']If you want more than 4 people do not tell the excusion desk.. No you are not stealing anything.. there were be a certain amount of drinks water and chips.. more than enough for 5 or 6.. or 7

Not sure why this is not stealing, it sure fits my definition. "Taking something that does not belong to you" If you can not afford to pay the cost, then use the cabana. You are stealing from the company"s stock holders.[/quote]

If I pay for the cabana I recieve enough for four people. I paid for it , it is all mine to do with what I want, I would think. and if that means Id like to share that food with 12 ppl I should be allowed to. Well thats how I look at it at least.

[quote name='thelioness1210'][quote name='nuthut']

If I pay for the cabana I recieve enough for four people. I paid for it , it is all mine to do with what I want, I would think. and if that means Id like to share that food with 12 ppl I should be allowed to. Well thats how I look at it at least.[/QUOTE]

That may be how you look at it, CCL and HAL look at it this way. Cabana rental includes four people. Each additional person is $45.00 each.

That may be how you look at it, CCL and HAL look at it this way. Cabana rental includes four people. Each additional person is $45.00 each.

The $45 per extra person is for extra food- drinks- mats etc. If you're happy with what you receive than that should be you're choice.

Hi, do you know if we can rent snorkel gear on the beach? My husband and I will be with our kids 22, 21, and 16. We do not plan on going on the waiting list for a cabana. Can we see fish if we snorkel off the beach?

We were down by cabanas 6-7 and my kids put their snorkel gear on went out almost to where the rope is and seen some fish. Not a whole lot but did see some. One I guess was about 2 feet long and about a couple of feet away looking at them. My daughter just about had a heart attack!!

Our first time at HMC will be August of next year. We've been on 4 cruises so far (1 with Disney, 1 with Royal Caribbean and 2 with Norwegian) We'll be sailing on the Carnival Miracle next year.

Does HMC have a water park or water slide? If so, is there a charge? How much?