Biting fish at Stingray City?

sallywallygal

We will be at Stingray City next week and are very excited about it. Today, my doctor, who is a scuba diver, told me that when he was there, there were large fish swimming around trying to get some of the free squid and would bite people's hands trying to get it. Has anyone experienced this? I've never heard this mentioned on these boards - and I've read just about all of them! :confused:

We has no problem when we were there a few month's ago, but Stingray City is out in the open, offshore, so I can see how that would be possible. Since I've never seen this problem posted before, I think the chance is pretty slim. The water is very clear there, so it would be easy to spot other fish.

Stingray City was one of our favorite excursions. The water was rougher than normal while we were there so it was hard to stand still. I was nervous I would step on one of the stingrays. I held on to my DH alot but never did step on any. It was just a wonderful experience.

Fish and seagulls will try to acquire squid...but I wouldn't call the fish big. The biggest I've seen is maybe 10 inches? They're harmless, and don't intentionally try to bite you or anything...they're just trying to steal the squid out of your hands. :D If you're nervous, don't hold the squid, or just keep an eye open for fish and pull your hands out of the water when there's any around. They're not that common...I've never seen more than one or two fish per visit, compared to the hundreds of stingrays...

We just got back and had a great time. No biting fish bothered us at all. The water was terrific and I have NEVER felt such good sand on my feet. The stingrays were beautiful and felt so soft. LOL..

Have a great time.

Debbie

Like above was there last week and only saw two other small fish (<12"). Water's so clear you can see exactly what was coming and going from a long ways. We saw no competition from other fish.

Do remember that there are two Stingray Citys. One is Stingray City Sandbar which is were 95% of the boats go and is only about 3 - 4' deep. This is where we went. The other is the original Stingray City and is about 10' and is frequented by divers and snorklers. With the greater depth increases the chances of preditor fish.

• 1 month later...

You all were right. We didn't see any agressive fish at Stingray City. For that matter, we didn't see any fish - just the rays. We had a great time and highly recommend the excursion. I think my doctor must have gone to the Stingray City that is deeper for divers. Thanks, everyone!

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

There are sometimes yellowtail snappers around the Stingray Sandbar area. These are jokingly referred to as Cayman Piranha. They will occasionally nip someone.

Their bite is similar to a paper cut. Normal wound care (wash with soap and water and apply a band aid possibly with antibiotic cream) is the most such a bite would warrant.

• 3 weeks later...
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

There are sometimes yellowtail snappers around the Stingray Sandbar area. These are jokingly referred to as Cayman Piranha. They will occasionally nip someone.

Their bite is similar to a paper cut. Normal wound care (wash with soap and water and apply a band aid possibly with antibiotic cream) is the most such a bite would warrant.

I have experienced this first hand. Yes there are the "Cayman Piranha" fish. Yes they were there when we did the 15' dive at stingray city. They can be MUCH WORSE than a paper cut. I was nipped and it was not too bad, small amounts of blood. But one of the other divers was bit really bad and her finger had a major cut that I'm sure required several stitches.

I would point out that these fish are visual and only came after the squid if they could see it. The stingrays go by smell. so as long as you keep it hidden in your hand you're good. I got nipped when the dive master was handing me the squid. Those fish are MEGA FAST and whamo! The stingrays down that deep were amazing though. About 15' long and at least 6' across. super!

If you do the sandbar (which I've done also) be sure to use the mask and snorkle they give you and swim away from the sand bar a bit. You'll experience the stingrays "flying" then and that's way better in my opinion than watching dark wobbly blobs swimming around your legs. (no biting fish there).

You have done what twice? been to the stingray city sandbar, or scuba dived to 15' at stingray city?

It's unfortunate that you both got bit on your excursion, but the PP is right in his suggestion that bites of that severity are thankfully fairly rare. (Or at least I'm assuming that's what he's suggesting.)

I've been to the sandbar dozens of times and my DH has dove stingray city dozens of times (I don't dive) and neither of us has been bit where it left any kind of a mark, nor have any of the people with us or near us.

The most we've experienced has been a "nip" like a pinch, as the fish stole squid. It's usually more of a shock than an injury, since the fish are so fast and you usually don't see them coming.

As I said earlier in the thread, if people are nervous about getting bit, just don't take any of the squid. That's what the fish are after, so if you don't have any it pretty much solves the problem. :D

seriously? dozens? Why?:confused:

Um, why not? I guess that comment makes more sense if you know that we have a vacation home and boat at Rum Point, and thus can just get in the boat and go out to Stingray City for free any time we want.

Besides, watching the shrieking cruise ship passengers on the cattle car ship's excursions never gets old... :D It's almost as much fun to watch people's reactions and behaviour out at the Sandbar as it is to see the stingrays themselves...

Um, why not? I guess that comment makes more sense if you know that we have a vacation home and boat at Rum Point, and thus can just get in the boat and go out to Stingray City for free any time we want.

Besides, watching the shrieking cruise ship passengers on the cattle car ship's excursions never gets old... :D It's almost as much fun to watch people's reactions and behaviour out at the Sandbar as it is to see the stingrays themselves...

Okay, that makes more sense. I noticed you were from Toronto so I was wondering what would drive you to do the same cruise and excursion so many times. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived