Connection Between Dress and Food

I don't think there is a direct correlation between relaxed dress codes and food quality. Food quality started to decline long before the more relaxed dress codes. Since people were price in-elastic in regards to cruise prices, the cruise lines needed to cut costs somewhere, so they decided food quality was one place to do it. Since there was no great outpouring of complaints and bookings remained strong they had/have no incentive to reverse direction.

There has been a lot of talk about the food quality slipping.There has also been talk of Dinner dress slipping.Does Royal believe they can get by with serving lower quality food due to the lower standards being set by RCCL todays cruiser?
You've got to be kidding.

RCCL is not a luxury line.

Food is fine-service is great.

Nothing is slipping to me or under the standards any mass market line should offer. Actually I think they go above and beyond keeping their target audience fed well.

You've got to be kidding.

Not at all.I agree that it seems obvious that the cruise of past era is gone for good but some on dress threads say times are changing and part of that change seems to be the cruiser new cruiser is willing to accept the Appleby's lifestyle of cruising when in the past from what I've read was bit more upscale.Why dress for the Ritz when you are serving Appleby's or Why serve the Ritz when folks are dressing KFC?

RCCL is not a luxury line.

Food is fine-service is great.

Nothing is slipping to me or under the standards any mass market line should offer. Actually I think they go above and beyond keeping their target audience fed well.

Agree its not a luxury line.Never was.But since food is slipping are they lowering their target audience to fill their ships and thus the slip in dress?

Not at all.I agree that it seems obvious that the cruise of past era is gone for good but some on dress threads say times are changing and part of that change seems to be the cruiser new cruiser is willing to accept the Appleby's lifestyle of cruising when in the past from what I've read was bit more upscale.Why dress for the Ritz when you are serving Appleby's or Why serve the Ritz when folks are dressing KFC?

Then I'll be more direct. There is no connection between the way someone is dressed and the quality of the food being served. Do you ever see the cook in the dining room taking notes on who is well dressed and who is not?

Because of the state of the economy companies, including the cruise lines, have made some cut backs. None of it is based on how the customers are dressed.

Royal Caribbean never was a four star line. In relative terms, prices now are lower than they were "back in the good old days". Royal Caribbean has had to cut back to stay competitive, not because some passengers left their tux or long dress back home.

A demanding person is a demanding person whether in a t-shirt and jeans or a three piece suit. If Royal Caribbean is not up to your standards, then why don't you give Celebrity a try.

I've been on five Royal Caribbean cruises over the past five years. The best food I've had on Royal Caribbean was on the last cruise, two months ago. That said, I've only had one meal that I would rank as average, and that was on NCL in 2005. All the other meals, including Royal Caribbean, have been at least three stars, and Royal Caribbean was never a four star line.

The cut backs have been due the economic climate, not due to the price of the clothing the customers are wearing.

Then I'll be more direct. There is no connection between the way someone is dressed and the quality of the food being served. Do you ever see the cook in the dining room taking notes on who is well dressed and who is not?

Because of the state of the economy companies, including the cruise lines, have made some cut backs. None of it is based on how the customers are dressed.

Royal Caribbean never was a four star line. In relative terms, prices now are lower than they were "back in the good old days". Royal Caribbean has had to cut back to stay competitive, not because some passengers left their tux or long dress back home.

A demanding person is a demanding person whether in a t-shirt and jeans or a three piece suit. If Royal Caribbean is not up to your standards, then why don't you give Celebrity a try.

I've been on five Royal Caribbean cruises over the past five years. The best food I've had on Royal Caribbean was on the last cruise, two months ago. That said, I've only had one meal that I would rank as average, and that was on NCL in 2005. All the other meals, including Royal Caribbean, have been at least three stars, and Royal Caribbean was never a four star line.

The cut backs have been due the economic climate, not due to the price of the clothing the customers are wearing.

Well said!

I've always been one to follow dress codes. That being said, with the price of bringing extra baggage on an airplane, I have had to make "cut backs" in packing. My gown and my husbands kilt (which has it's own suitcase) were the first things to go. I still plan on eating in the dining room in my very pretty sundress and husband in nice slacks and a button-up shirt. Is it formal? No. Is it appropriate? Absolutely. Have our tastes in food changed just because we didn't want to pay an extra $50 to bring our formals? No.

I personally don't think the two things (decline in food <even though I haven't had any problems> and lax dress code) have anything to do with each other.

Agree its not a luxury line.Never was.But since food is slipping are they lowering their target audience to fill their ships and thus the slip in dress?

IMO

Once the target phrases became

"Get out there'

And

"Why not"

Writing was on the wall! Target passenger-new cruisers and middle class america. Dressing up in a Tux and formal wear is the last thing some folks will spend money on for a cruise they may very well take a good year or years to save for. As someone else has said-the economy is a huge factor in what all cruise lines are doing, changing or cutting back on. They would not need to cut back on certain things if the target audience was the truly wealthy.

Just my humble opinion.

Again

I don't think food is slipping. I must be missing something or don't cruise enough to compare. All of mine have been just fine.

I've always been one to follow dress codes. That being said, with the price of bringing extra baggage on an airplane, I have had to make "cut backs" in packing. My gown and my husbands kilt (which has it's own suitcase) were the first things to go. I still plan on eating in the dining room in my very pretty sundress and husband in nice slacks and a button-up shirt. Is it formal? No. Is it appropriate? Absolutely. Have our tastes in food changed just because we didn't want to pay an extra $50 to bring our formals? No.

I personally don't think the two things (decline in food <even though I haven't had any problems> and lax dress code) have anything to do with each other.

This is exactly why the dress has been slipping on cruises. It has nothing to do with anything else, and with many airline raising the price of their baggage fees it will only get worse!

All the formalists in this group know that once they enforce the dress regulations on formal nights the food will definitely improve to what it used to be 20 years ago. :D:rolleyes:

IMO

"Get out there'

And

"Why not"

Writing was on the wall!

Exactly my point.To get more cruisers they are cutting back on the product and making surcharges for upscale food or reserved pool chairs and I'm sure more is coming.You are not going to fill a ship of 5000 with people looking for a upscale experience.RCCL is still middle of the road but the bar for middle of the road has been lowered.The food quality has gone down on each of our 3 cruises with RCCL over the last 3 years.Service has been great though the waiters clearly have more tables to wait on

This is exactly why the dress has been slipping on cruises. It has nothing to do with anything else, and with many airline raising the price of their baggage fees it will only get worse!

Thats true but according to some who post on these threads 'Rum Runners' are taking up the space of a dinner jacket plus the revenue lost due to the use of Rum Runners is also contributing to the cutbacks

This sounds like an assumption that people with less money who may be booking cruises with lower prices are inherently slobs who won't get dressed up.

IMO

"Get out there'

And

"Why not"

Writing was on the wall!

I think the ads have much to do with it. The people in the ads are dressed casually. So, gee, must be fine to dress casually on that line.

I do not recall seeing in those ads any dining. I would be interested if anyone else has spotted a dining scene and if so, what are the people wearing! Because once upon a time, someone told me, look at how the people in the brochures are dressed - that will tell you if you fit in there.

This sounds like an assumption that people with less money who may be booking cruises with lower prices are inherently slobs who won't get dressed up.

oooo boy I hope not.

I like a good deal and hate to get dressed up for fromal nights!!! ;)

That RCI isn't a "luxury" line is beside the point....yes, the food quality and service (IMO) are directly related to the "casual" atmosphere nowadays....

In the past, folks who didn't want to "dress up" didn't cruise...and everything seemed to be a "step above" any land vacation of the same cost...not anymore!

I'm kind of surprised, I'm usually the one who overpacks in my house, and I've never had much trouble getting both of my dress uniforms, all the stuff that has to go on the uniforms, and all the other clothes that I need for up to 14 nights onboard in two suitcases. I do fly Southwest, and don't get charged for the first two checked suitcases per person up to 50 pounds.

That RCI isn't a "luxury" line is beside the point....yes, the food quality and service (IMO) are directly related to the "casual" atmosphere nowadays....

In the past, folks who didn't want to "dress up" didn't cruise...and everything seemed to be a "step above" any land vacation of the same cost...not anymore!

How far back are you talking:confused: We have been cruising for 12 years and there has always been people that did not want to dress for dinner on all our cruises......even us;) Never stopped any of us from cruising.......

Food quality has nothing to do with dressing up:rolleyes:

How far back are you talking:confused: We have been cruising for 12 years and there has always been people that did not want to dress for dinner on all our cruises......even us;) Never stopped any of us from cruising.......

Food quality has nothing to do with dressing up:rolleyes:

Disagree, food quality has been dropping recently.Compliance to the Suggested examples in the dress code has been slipping also,maybe more so

Archived