ID for minors???

cerros

You should have a passport for your child. I belevie On June 1 it was required. They last only 5 years, unlike the 10 years for adults becasue kids grow up too fast. ALSO your child will be given their own Sign & Sail card, so just put it in the safe. That card is what gets them onboard when you put it in the slot and it goes "ding"<---- I LOVE that part. Means I am on vacation.

My eight year old daughter's passport expires this month, so there goes another 100.00

Enjoy your trip!

If you notice the picture ID, is EXACTLY the one they use when you first go through the lines and they snap a pcture of you.

Thus once you are issued a S.S card that picture shows up for them to look at. The card is your life for that week.

NO. I know for sure under 16 stiil do not need a passport to go to Canada. I also know of the cruise card you use to ge on and off the boat. My question is for the initial bording. Do you at that time need a picture ID for children.

Please any one with kids that have gone ; what did they ask for when you checked in.

Cerros,

Picture ID is not required for children under the age of 16. If 16 or over they need a government issued picture ID. Driver license is fine, or a state ID card.

Passport is not needed on RT cruises out of a US port, I presume you are on a Seattle RT, such as the Golden or Star?

I believe any travel outside the US requires a passport as of June. We are doing the Alaska cruise, next month,and we all had to have passports.
Actually, no. Your trip is on the Golden, which is RT out of Seattle. US citizens may travel on just a certified Birth Certificate and picture ID (over 16) if they so choose. While passports are still a good idea in general, they are an unnecessary expense for many people, particularly when all but one port is in the US and a passport is not needed to fly home. Whoever told you they were required was incorrect.

www.getyouhome.gov

The TA my inlaws are using told us we all needed them. I should have checked before getting them. I don't understand why adults on the Golden wouldn't need them. One of the excursions we booked said specifically passports are needed. Could you clarify? Thanks

If you are crossing a land border into Canada, such as at Skagway, then you DO need a passport or passport card or EDL or Nexus. In that crossing, children under 16 can still use just a BC, but adults need one of the four listed documents, or must fall into a special population. Your TA was probably just being thorough, particularly if they knew you wanted to take a land excursion into Canada. But it would have been nice if they had explained the options and let you decide what you did or did not want to purchase.

Round trip cruises have an exception to the general passport rule, it can be found at the government link http://www.getyouhome.gov . Look at the "special groups" tab after you click on the USA map.

NO. I know for sure under 16 stiil do not need a passport to go to Canada. I also know of the cruise card you use to ge on and off the boat. My question is for the initial bording. Do you at that time need a picture ID for children.

Please any one with kids that have gone ; what did they ask for when you checked in.

We did Carnival twice last year with our kids (ages 10 and 13) and had no photo ID for them.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

If you or a family member misses the ship, gets injured, ill, etc while ashore in Victoria and you have to fly home,

AS OF 1 JUNE 2009 ALL PASSENGERS ARRIVING IN THE UNITED STATES BY AIR WILL BE REQUIRED TO HOLD A VALID PASSPORT AS IDENTIFICATION.

Now if you're flying interstate (US domestic) there is a requirement for passports. Regarding what they want, here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.peacebridge.com/docs/WHTI_at_a_Glance.pdf

Ciao for now!!!

When doing our Alaska cruise in 2004, we decided to get all of us passports. It is just easier. The kids were 15 and 11 then. They expired this year and we waited till DD's 16th birthday to get hers renewed that way it will be for 10 years not 5. Now we just have to hope we get them back by 7/17 when we leave. We applied on 5/20. Yup, $100 each to renew!

Next time it is on them!

I have my sons birth certificate, but hopeing a photo ID is not also necessary. Does anyone Know the answer to this?

For cruise ship it is no different then domestic airline. Adults need valid picture ID ( driver's license, passport etc. ), minors traveling with nothing. I'm not sure about someone 17 years old, check websites or other official site to confirm.

If you are traveling internationally, passport, its the LAW. Even when we drive to Canada a passport is now required, where did you hear you don't need a passport for the checkin on the ship? you are correct in port you won't need the passport!

On the ship or in port all you need to reboard is your cruiseline issued ID. Seperatly its good idea in foreign port to carry somethign additional, but that is a seperate can of worms :eek:

I was interested by the "copy of his or her birth certificate" wording. In SF, we haven't accepted copies. They had to be originals with the raised seal in evidence.
Nowadays all birth certificate originals are kept at the office of vital statistics where they are filed; nobody gets a true original with original ink signatures. The raised seal documents (or holgraphic or watermarked) are certified copies of the original on file with the government.

If you are traveling internationally, passport, its the LAW. Even when we drive to Canada a passport is now required, where did you hear you don't need a passport for the checkin on the ship? you are correct in port you won't need the passport!
Driving across a land border, yes, you now need a passport, passcard, EDL or Nexus/Sentri card. But for a round trip cruise out of a US port, one still does not need a passport. Certified BC and government ID (16 or over) is fine.

www.getyouhome.gov

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents

Good point. I just hope that passengers aren't confused by the "copy of" wording. If they show up with a photocopy, they may be denied boarding.
Peg, that could the case at cruise ship ports, but I have not yet heard of specific examples one way or the other since the June 1 tightening of documentation for other types of border crossings. I do know that earlier this year, folks with the unofficial hospital copy have been allowed to board with a faxed copy of the real birth certificate, which is essentially the same as a photocopy.

I also understand that CBP was allowing BC photocopies for the last 18 months at land border crossings. That is now moot, as BC's will no longer work, but it was a subject of much discussion on the passport sticky thread for a while. I believe most cruiseline websites specify certified copy, but that still did not stop a lot of people from bringing their hospital memento forms, thinking they were originals.

Why would you take a chance and not have a picture ID or better yet a passport regardless of age?? :confused:

Nowadays all birth certificate originals are kept at the office of vital statistics where they are filed; nobody gets a true original with original ink signatures. The raised seal documents (or holgraphic or watermarked) are certified copies of the original on file with the government.

We decided that getting a passport for our little one was a good idea. She got her first one at age 3 for her second cruise. (for her first cruise, we were never more than 250 miles from home) She's due for a second renewal of hers next year (mine needs renewal too), but we feel more secure in having that photo ID for her.

I remember reading a year or two on CC that someone's gone to check in for their cruise and discover that they didn't have an official BC with them. They didn't know that the document they'd received from the hospital is just something to paste into the baby book.

Archived