Feedback on Forest & Nature Tram? / Icy Strait Point

Look2Sea

I'm hoping it will be interesting, so waiting to see if you get any bites for this question, we're also adding the tribal show, which , believe it or not my DH will love, he got up & danced at the Saxman Village show, know he will try again. MY Sister going along is 77 and she will appreciate the culture too. Will be her only time in Alaska, no she feels once will be enough, at her age other places are there to see yet. Hoping they actually DO see feeding whales in harbor, and bear but, rainforest is usually interesting too.

I did this 3 years ago and I was very bored. If you are the type of person who enjoys sitting and looking at beautiful scenery, you might enjoy it. However, walking the trails gives you the same views at your own pace.

2 of us DO have trouble walking so felt this is the best alternative, then added on the tribal show too. We are into these types of local culture things, we've already got 2 water tours and felt what with a cruise more wasn't needed, will watch for whales rom shore too!). I realize the trail isn't very long...on the Icy Straits website they have maps you can download, it shows the trail...not too exciting looking I realize. Also a map of the "Cannery" shopping area. About bears...asked another tour phone person about walking w/cane slowly and bear watching. She said she'd not want to be "The slowest person on a bear watch..." obviously she didn't sell bear watch tours !!

OK...... what are the chance of encountering bears by walking the trail? Don't want to ride the tram but don't want trouble with bears either!

The coastal loop trail is VERY busy, loaded with continous people. I will speculate that bear sightings are very rare.

Overall, again, this is a so so option at best. Southeast Alaska is the "water", and superb tour choices involve it. In my opinion, having been there many times, there is no maxing out on it. :)

Archived