Book on Alaska to read in advance?

firststeps

Although this is not in the realm of a travel book, my ABSOLUTE favorite is

ALASKA by James Michener!!!!

I plan to re-read it before we go in 2010, which will be our second cruise to Alaska. It got me interested in the Russian history of Alaska, Sitka, and many other aspects. Won't make it to Sitka on our cruise next year, but still hope to make it there someday.

Hi there.

I have found these two titles to be helpful:

Alaska's Inside Passage by Ann Chandonnet ISBN1-4000-1460-8

The Alaska Cruise Handbook- A mile-by-mile guide by Joe Upton ISBN13-978-0-9794915-0-4

Both of these have helpful information about cities, sites, shopping and dining suggestions as well as some great fun-facts. I've found them easy to read and sufficient for my needs in all areas.

For general reading about Alaska, I'm trying to get through Michener's "Alaska", but for me its gotten a little "heavy" with detail and perhaps more history than I wanted or needed. I also have a copy of "The Klondike Fever" by Peter Berton, which I found on a second-hand book shelf.

I love Michener and have read all of his books, including Alaska. So, keep the suggestions coming, please. I lived in Maryland all my life (recently retired to Florida) and his book Chesapeake well depicts the area, history and people. I would highly recommend that one too.

Hi there.

I have found these two titles to be helpful:

Alaska's Inside Passage by Ann Chandonnet ISBN1-4000-1460-8

The Alaska Cruise Handbook- A mile-by-mile guide by Joe Upton ISBN13-978-0-9794915-0-4

Both of these have helpful information about cities, sites, shopping and dining suggestions as well as some great fun-facts. I've found them easy to read and sufficient for my needs in all areas.

You might also try Alaska By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. A good read with a great map in the rear of the book.

My dentist highly recommended the author Robert Service. He is a cowboy poet (1874-1958) who got a job at a bank in the Yukon Territory in 1904 and wrote about the Yukon Gold Rush and life in Alaska. I bought the book "The Best of the Yukon" that includes the "Shooting of Dan McGrew" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee." Haven't read it yet but he was so excited by it that I bought it.

I also purchased the Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton for us and for the couples we will be traveling with. I liked the idea of having the map and knowing what to watch for as we cruise.

Although this is not in the realm of a travel book' date=' my ABSOLUTE favorite is

ALASKA by James Michener!!!!

I plan to re-read it before we go in 2010, which will be our second cruise to Alaska. It got me interested in the Russian history of Alaska, Sitka, and many other aspects. Won't make it to Sitka on our cruise next year, but still hope to make it there someday.[/quote']

I'm reading this now for our June 27 cruise. I'm only a couple hundred pages in so it will be coming with. Agree it is not a travel book, but Michner as usual has done exhaustive research and weaves it in with a nice narrative and interesting story. He's not for everyone -- I have a paperback copy that is probably 8 pt type and nearly margin to margin and is over 1,000 pages. I'm finding it well worth the time, I am learning so much about Alaska, even the origin of the name which I think means the Great Land in the native language of the time (Inuit maybe or Eskimo).

Margie

If you plan to see Mt. McKinley or are interested in it, there is a book called Minus 148, which is a true story of three young men who decided to climb the mntn in February.:confused: Luckily it has a happy ending. This was recommended to us by our tour guide in Denali and I'm reading it right now.

If you're interested in the cultures and people of Alaska, and not just the critters and mountains, and if you enjoy the work of a superb author, then Coming into the Country by John McPhee is your book. Nonfiction and 30 years old, it still is arguably the best book written on the state and its people. I can't recommend it highly enough. http://www.amazon.com/Coming-into-Country-John-McPhee/dp/0374522871/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244680657&sr=8-1

If you like fiction, in particular the quirky kind, then Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union - http://www.amazon.com/Yiddish-Policemens-Union-Novel-P-S/dp/0007149832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244680747&sr=1-1 - is a mystery set in a might-have-been Sitka following the demise of Israel during the 1948 War of Independence. Not everyone's glass of tea (;)) but a really enjoyable read.

Try "Passage to Juneau" by Jonathan Rabin. It's his real-life account of sailing his personal sailboat up the Inside Passage from Seattle to Juneau. Along the way, he's reading up on Captain Vancouver's explorations of the area, and the native cultures living along the Northwest coast. Very interesting read, both historical and current (or current as of publication date, a few years ago).

I'm right in the middle of "Looking for Alaska" and enjoying it immensely! Also love all the travel books - Fodors, Frommers, etc. - and since our first cruise to AK in 2006, I've got quite a collection of those - about 17 at last count. Always find something new and different depending on the itinerary of our next cruise/trip to AK is like.

I know I can count on folks on this board to recommend some good books on Alaska before we take the cruise. All suggestions, please... Thanks, Terri

May I suggest:

"Alaska" by James Michener

"Alaska Bear Tales" by Larry Kaniut (the bears described in this book are not of the Teddy Bears Picnic variety.)

i took James Michener's Alaska with me, got thru about a hundred pages...too much other stuff to do! But it was a great read when I got home because I felt like I knew some of the places in the book!

Ordered the Mile by Mile book on May 22 and it still hasn't shipped! at this rate, I will have it when I get back!

Beverly

If you can find a copy of Old Yukon by James Wickersham buy it. They are scarce as hen's teeth. He was a federal judge in Alaska long before statehood and really tells what he saw and experienced.

Then there is always the Milepost which I can always spend time reading.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished "If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name" by Heather Lende (recommended by Jenbo57) and enjoyed it. It reminded me of the "Northern Exposure" show--which I love--with more of a family values feel.

I'm also going to re-read Margaret Murie's "Two In the Far North" and I just ordered "The Reader's Companion to Alaska" which is a short anthology of favorite stories/writings about Alaska.

Archived