Cruise out of Vancouver - anyone actually ever denied entry?

I have read some links on this board that have me nervous. We have booked a surprise 50th anniversary alaskan cruise for my inlaw's next month. My BIL had a DUI about 3.5 years ago. Has anyone actually been denied entry in Vancouver for this.

Our group is flying in hours before our cruise is set to sail out of Vancouver - we all have RCCL transfers to port paid for and we are going to do US Direct. Since we are not actually visiting Vancouver - going straight from airport to cruiseline bus at airport then directly to pier where we set sail are they going to stop my BIL from boarding this cruise? This cruise only boards in Vancouver and then sails alaska so we are never touring Vancover as we board the ship directly from the plane. I am so nervous with what I have read on these boards. Is there anything my BIL can do - explain that he will never be setting foot in Vancouver just going directly from airport to RCCL transfer bus where, according to US Direct, we do not go thru customs we go directly to the US Direct bus terminal in airport and the bus is held in Bond until we arrive at the port and then go directly on to ship. We dont have enough time to do anything at this point as we leave in a few weeks. It will break my MIL and FIL's heart to be surprised and see their entire family (children and grandchildren) sitting at the dinner table when they arrive for thier first nights dining. If my BIL was missing it would be devistating to them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. We are all traveling from CO and NM directly to Vancouver and then directly to US Direct then to RCCL bus then directly to board cruise. Should I have my BIL call to talk to someone - this subject is very unclear since we are not actually ever entering canada. We just want to be able to board the cruiseship and enjoy a cruise of a lifetime.

Any suggestions - PLEASE...................

Thank you everyone. :eek:

Hi,

Unfortunately "just passing through" does not work. You are a US citizen entering a foreign country, albeit just for a short time.

If you search these boards on this subject will find many verying opinions. Some will say to just go for it and take your chances.

If you want to completely research Canada's official policies the website is

www.cic.gc.ca which is our immigration website.

When you go to this page you will see a link to "visit", within that page click on "who is eligable" and then there you will see Criminal Inadmissibility. Here's what it says there:

If you have committed or been convicted of a criminal offence, you may not be allowed to enter Canada.

Criminal offences include both minor and serious offences, such as theft, assault, manslaughter, dangerous driving and driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. For a complete list of criminal offences in Canada, consult the Canadian Criminal Code.

If you were convicted of a crime when you were under the age of 18, you can probably still enter Canada. See the Related Links at the bottom of this page for more information about admissibility.

Within the "See related links" section you will find a section called "overcoming criminal admissability".

Good luck with this, I hope the website helps.

Mark, would my BIL talk to a lawyer in Canada or a lawyer in ABQ where he is from? We are desperate for some advice and would like to get the correct anwers so if we can avoid any disruption to the cruise that would be great.

Here is an option we are thinking of, just in case he is not allowed to board the ship in Vancouver. If he takes a flight to the next port (Ketchikan) would he be allowed to board the ship at that point since he is back in the US and the remainder of the cruise is all Alaska? I have a call into RCCL but cant seem to get a clear answer on this. Say someone misses the ship - can they fly to the next port and board the ship then?

Iandy, thank you so much for the link - I greatly appreciate everyone providing me with their opinions - I am a very law abiding citizen and definately do not want to break the law in any way and if there is a way that we could talk to someone in Canada or elsewhere that could give us some advice on how to be able to board the ship we will do so.

Thank you.

Here is an option we are thinking of, just in case he is not allowed to board the ship in Vancouver. If he takes a flight to the next port (Ketchikan) would he be allowed to board the ship at that point since he is back in the US and the remainder of the cruise is all Alaska? I have a call into RCCL but cant seem to get a clear answer on this. Say someone misses the ship - can they fly to the next port and board the ship then?

Nope that would not be allowed because of the Passenger Service act.

Ships can´t transport passengers between US ports without touching a foreign port.

Nope that would not be allowed because of the Passenger Service act.

Ships can´t transport passengers between US ports without touching a foreign port.

I dont understand why he would not be allowed to board at the next port. If a passenger misses boarding the cruise because say a delay with their flights, etc..... they would normally be allowed to travel to the next port and then board at that time. Why is this different? On this alaskan cruise Canada is where the cruise starts but the remainder of the crusie is all alaska - it is northbound from Vancouver to Seward.

kristin

I feel for you having been in that same situation for entry to USA. My son had been charge and the charges dropped. When we check they told us that yes even with charges dropped he could be denied entry, same thing for Canada.

You could contact a lawyer or the consulate however we have been advised it up to the customs agent you get when you enter. If they check they can deny enter. You can argue the point and may be able to gain enter but it is that could take awhile with no guarantee.

One other point and not sure if it is the same entering Canada. We were told if you have been denied entry into the US you will have real problems ever gaining entry in the future.

Best solution was to get a pardon and records cleaned.

The best of luck.

We were told if you have been denied entry into the US you will have real problems ever gaining entry in the future.

Best solution was to get a pardon and records cleaned.

The best of luck.

Not only that but now that passports are a must, and they get scanned, I suspect that information like criminal convictions will light up the screen every time.

There was a time (before you needed passports at US-Canada borders) that something like this would never be spotted at the borders and therefore not really a problem unless they asked you outright. Now, with passports and electr9nic scans that information is (probably) there whether they ask for it or not.

I wouldn't risk going and being turned away. Take the advice here, and check with the Canadian consulate or Canada customs. Maybe ask your TA who to contact.

Does anyone have recent advice. I thought that if you use US Direct that you dont go thru customs. You must be flying in the same day as the ship departs and you must have purchased RCCL cruiseline transfers - you then go directly to the RCCL transfer area where you are held "in Bond - cannot get off bus" and then go directly to cruiseship and board.

Please - does anyone have any recent dealings with this or the US Direct boarding process.

I cannot get thru to Candian customs but I will continue to try.

I dont understand why he would not be allowed to board at the next port. If a passenger misses boarding the cruise because say a delay with their flights, etc..... they would normally be allowed to travel to the next port and then board at that time. Why is this different? On this alaskan cruise Canada is where the cruise starts but the remainder of the crusie is all alaska - it is northbound from Vancouver to Seward.

kristin

This is different because all ports of this cruise are US ports except the embarkation and debarkation port. I´m not 100% sure but it might be allowed to catch up with the ship at the first port of call as the cruise ends in Vancouver, but as I understand your problem he can´stay onboard til Vancouver, as he would have the same problem at the end of the cruise - right? So he would have to "miss the boat" at the last port of call again. That would definitely raise a problem then with the PSA.

However I can´t help with US direct, but would think you are fine using it.

At this point that might be what I tell my BIL to do. I have heard that is you use US Direct that you bypass customs because you are actually held "in Bond - can't get off the bus" until you board the ship. I am hoping this is true. What a shocker this has been since June 1st. We planned this surprise vacation almost a year ago and had never heard of about being denied boarding because of an old DUI in the US. This is A LOT of money on this line if we cant get him onboard.

Why isn't your brother in law dealing with this if he is the one with the DUI? If he was convicted 3 1/2 yrs ago, he should be well aware of having to disclose this information on everything from a job application to even an adult volunteer application for Boy Scouts.

We planned this surprise vacation almost a year ago and had never heard of about being denied boarding because of an old DUI in the US.

Not that this means much, or answers any of your questions but a DUI is a criminal offense in Canada, and you have a criminal record. Whether it is 3 years or 13 years doesn't really matter.

Not that this means much, or answers any of your questions but a DUI is a criminal offense in Canada, and you have a criminal record. Whether it is 3 years or 13 years doesn't really matter.

I guess the point I was trying to make is if the OP does get through to Canadian customs, there is only so much they can do for her because of privacy laws. She will not be able to discuss specifics of this DUI if her BIL is of legal age, which I am assuming he is.

At this point that might be what I tell my BIL to do. I have heard that is you use US Direct that you bypass customs because you are actually held "in Bond - can't get off the bus" until you board the ship. I am hoping this is true. What a shocker this has been since June 1st. We planned this surprise vacation almost a year ago and had never heard of about being denied boarding because of an old DUI in the US. This is A LOT of money on this line if we cant get him onboard.

Not sure if this will help, but found this site and info...

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/things_to_do/cruise_vancouver#5

US Direct Program - Smooth Sailing for Americans cruising to Alaska

The Vancouver-Alaska Cruise Experience is a breeze for US passengers since Vancouver's International Airport and Vancouver Fraser Port Authority launched a "US Direct" strategic initiative. Designed exclusively for US citizens and permanent residents, the program pre-identifies arriving cruise ship passengers, whisks them through immigration and onto a bus, direct to their same-day departing Alaska cruise ship. Their luggage is delivered automatically from airplane to stateroom.

US Direct allows passengers arriving at YVR to transfer directly to a same-day-departing cruise ship by participating in expedited immigration and customs clearance process. US Direct also works in reverse. Passengers arriving on a cruise and flying out of YVR on the same day disembark the ship and are transferred directly to YVR by participating in expedited immigration and customs clearance process. Upon arrival at YVR, these passengers enter the airport through a designated cruise passenger facility. US Direct is designed to maintain the sterility of domestic movements between US arriving cruise ship passengers and departing US pre-cleared flights and vice-versa. The program does not apply to passengers who are planning a pre or post stay in Vancouver. The program is targeted to passengers who have already planned to be transferred directly to their same-day-departing cruise ship upon arriving in Vancouver or the reverse to their same-day-departing flight at YVR.

I guess the point I was trying to make is if the OP does get through to Canadian customs, there is only so much they can do for her because of privacy laws. She will not be able to discuss specifics of this DUI if her BIL is of legal age, which I am assuming he is.

Well I think the main question the OP has is if US Direct would work and that as a general question she can have answered without getting into details.

Well I think the main question the OP has is if US Direct would work and that as a general question she can have answered without getting into details.

thank you madforcruising - that is exactly what I was looking for. My BIL has been trying to get through to the canadian government to get information but you can only imagine how hard it is to get through since the June 1 - mandatory passport requirement.

I was just hoping to get some useful information in case my BIL does not get a firm decision from Canada

Not sure if this will help, but found this site and info...

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/things_to_do/cruise_vancouver#5

US Direct Program - Smooth Sailing for Americans cruising to Alaska

The Vancouver-Alaska Cruise Experience is a breeze for US passengers since Vancouver's International Airport and Vancouver Fraser Port Authority launched a "US Direct" strategic initiative. Designed exclusively for US citizens and permanent residents, the program pre-identifies arriving cruise ship passengers, whisks them through immigration and onto a bus, direct to their same-day departing Alaska cruise ship. Their luggage is delivered automatically from airplane to stateroom.

US Direct allows passengers arriving at YVR to transfer directly to a same-day-departing cruise ship by participating in expedited immigration and customs clearance process. US Direct also works in reverse. Passengers arriving on a cruise and flying out of YVR on the same day disembark the ship and are transferred directly to YVR by participating in expedited immigration and customs clearance process. Upon arrival at YVR, these passengers enter the airport through a designated cruise passenger facility. US Direct is designed to maintain the sterility of domestic movements between US arriving cruise ship passengers and departing US pre-cleared flights and vice-versa. The program does not apply to passengers who are planning a pre or post stay in Vancouver. The program is targeted to passengers who have already planned to be transferred directly to their same-day-departing cruise ship upon arriving in Vancouver or the reverse to their same-day-departing flight at YVR.

Using that it sounds like you still have to clear customs and immigration, so the US Direct Program isn't likely to help in this case.

Using that it sounds like you still have to clear customs and immigration, so the US Direct Program isn't likely to help in this case.

Said you would be going through an expedited custom and immigration process... so yes they would be going through customs.