Royal Caribbean not the only cruise line to have Promenades???

OMG! Color Line's Magic & Fantasy appear to have promenades, just like the Voyager & Freedom Class ships!!! Am I missing something in this video? I've never even heard of the Color Line until today! The Color Line ships are AFTER Liberty of the Seas in this Video! I thought Royal Caribbean had the only promenades!

http://www.stxeurope.com/?page=70

Scroll down to the bottom left, and click on Liberty of the Seas!

Color Line is a passenger and vehicle service in Northern Europe. They were ther first to pioneer the concept of a "Promenade" inside their ferries quite a few years ago. RCCL was the first to use the design in a true cruise ship.

STX used to be Kaverner-Masa...the shipbuilding company in Finland that builds for Color Line as well as RCCL. The Promenade design was something they were very familiar with by the time RCCL started designing Voyager in 1996 or so.

Royal Caribbean is not the only cruise line to have the indoor promenades. There is another line, a Mediterranean ferry company, that has very similar promenades. In fact, they had them before RCI.

• 2 months later...
Color Line is a passenger and vehicle service in Northern Europe. They were ther first to pioneer the concept of a "Promenade" inside their ferries quite a few years ago. RCCL was the first to use the design in a true cruise ship.

STX used to be Kaverner-Masa...the shipbuilding company in Finland that builds for Color Line as well as RCCL. The Promenade design was something they were very familiar with by the time RCCL started designing Voyager in 1996 or so.

Wait a minuite!... I just checked Wikipedia after seeing a video on Youtube, and it says the Color Fantasy was built in 2004, and the Color Magic was built in 2007! How could Royal Caribbean copy Color line's idea if Royal Caribbean had them before Color line? (However, I know Royal got the Promenade idea from the Silja Symphony.)

Sorry about that, I'm mistaken on Color. Color, Silja, Tallink, and Corsica all operate RO-Ro ferries over there, and many shipe are leased back and forth between them. I believe the first two ships with a promenade actually started out under Silja's name. They were the Silja Serenade and Silja Symphony, and they were ordered in 1987, and placed in service in 1990 and 1991. I think the first one was listed as being owned by Effoa (investor in Silja) for a short time.

I love the fact that there's a Real Live Finn on the boards! ;) :D

Absolutely! One of the best things the internet has done is reminded most of us Americans (me included!) that we have actually been "first" with very few things!!!

OMG! Color Line's Magic & Fantasy appear to have promenades, just like the Voyager & Freedom Class ships!!! Am I missing something in this video? I've never even heard of the Color Line until today! The Color Line ships are AFTER Liberty of the Seas in this Video! I thought Royal Caribbean had the only promenades!

http://www.stxeurope.com/?page=70

Scroll down to the bottom left, and click on Liberty of the Seas!

Color line is a car ferry service with cabins. Not a cruise ship.,

BTW, the new Carnival Dream has a full promenade around the entire ship.......and so will her sister, the Carnival Magic

I recently heard that Disney will be using this concept with a "Main Street USA" theme. Anyone else?

No, I haven't heard anything about thr Disney newbuilds.

Color line is a car ferry service with cabins. Not a cruise ship.' date='

BTW, the new Carnival Dream has a full promenade around the entire ship.......and so will her sister, the Carnival Magic[/quote']

We're talking about indoor promenades that are like malls, not outdoor promenades. Most ships I can think of have outdoor promenades!

heh here in finland we have been promenading on the seas for years ;) www.silja.fi two ships that have been in service for awhile with promenades ;) Silja Serenade and Silja Symphony

I love the Silja line and have used it many times on the Stockholm/Helsinki run.......what a lovely ship and an enjoyable experience.

For years as a Tour Director, I subcontracted to a company that offered 21 day tours of Scandinavia and Russia.....they always used the Silja ferry to/from Helsinki.......great.

Archived