Citiavecchi...What can we do other than Rome?

We had not planned a Rome tour, were tired from our Naples excursion, and were apprehensive about trying Rome on our own with all the warnings we had heard about travel, pick pockets, lines, etc. So, we decided to just play it by ear. We slept in late, let everyone leave the ship, had great chairs by the pool and took our time in leaving the ship. Once we got into the town, we found a wonderful local market. (from the ship, walk into town about two blocks and turn left for another block) We got most of our souvenirs there and loved seeing a "real" market which didn't seem to be for tourists. We then found a nice little restaurant for pizza and cokes. We walked along the coast. We just had a leisurely time, got back on the ship early while everyone was still in Rome, went to the spa when it was deserted. It really was one of my favorite ports and I had no regrets about missing Rome.

Thanks, yes!

We are now deciding between doing Tarquinia or Anguillara (on Lake Bracciano).

These are tours offered by Princess...one with a Gelateria stop and one with a Cheese tasting.

Has anyone done either of these?

Thanks so much!

Olwyn:D

Thanks, yes!

We are now deciding between doing Tarquinia or Anguillara (on Lake Bracciano).

These are tours offered by Princess...one with a Gelateria stop and one with a Cheese tasting.

Has anyone done either of these?

Thanks so much!

Olwyn:D

You can do Tarquinia on your own without a tour and save a lot of money. For how to get there from Civitavecchia, go to www.ftroute.com/Tarquinia.cfm

We went to Tarquinia last month and it was wonderful.

Get the local bus outside the Cathedral[buy your ticket before getting on the bus and get a return]

Its a great ride and Tarquinia is a lovely Medieval town with the most wonderful Estrucian burial site going back to 506BC

We went there last fall but found we were there on the 'wrong' day and everything we wanted to see was not open. Sorry but I can't remember what day of the week it was so check before you go. Our visit there was part of a private tour that eight of us had put together. Our driver took us to Orvieto and to Civita di Bagnaregio and it was the most delightful and interesting day of our cruise. Civita was one of our most memorable experiences ever. You have a lot of choices other than Rome and staying in Civitivecchia.

My Dad might find local buses interesting...but I am worried about my mom having to stand..not getting a seat on the bus, return schedules etc...

It may be easier to take a tour, with a private company or with the ship. It would be great to say $$$ though!

Hmmmmm.....:confused:

Olwyn

My Dad might find local buses interesting...but I am worried about my mom having to stand..not getting a seat on the bus, return schedules etc...

It may be easier to take a tour, with a private company or with the ship. It would be great to say $$$ though!

Hmmmmm.....:confused:

Olwyn

The buses are not your typical city buses. They are quite new and very comfortable. When you buy your tickets at the newstand, ask for a schedule (the buses do follow it). A seat for Mom is no problem, Italians, young and old, readily and freely give up their seats for Moms and Gmoms. I'd take my mom (if she were still here.)

The buses are not your typical city buses. They are quite new and very comfortable. When you buy your tickets at the newstand, ask for a schedule (the buses do follow it). A seat for Mom is no problem, Italians, young and old, readily and freely give up their seats for Moms and Gmoms. I'd take my mom (if she were still here.)

Ask for a B.I.R.G ticket, which is a day ticket,2.5 euros for trip to Tarquinia

times are every 30 mins, But between 11.30 & 1 .30 there is a lunch break?

the very old Italian ladies will be on the same bus & I have found young persons to be very friendly and offer their seat.

Archived