AOS MDR food

Recently I've been on Carnival, and it's been years sinc I've sailed with RCCL.

In general is the food comparable?

Also, can someone please tell me which is "the" night to skip the MDR and go to Portofino's? Which night the food is the worst?

We just got off the AOS, can't compare with Carnival (never been on it), but we found the food to be fine in the MDR. I've eaten in some high-brow places, and some down and dirty greasy-spoons, the food can be great, and lousy in both places depending on your preferances, season, etc. I would rate the AOS MDR as "sit-down wedding reception food".

We went to Portafino on Tuesday which turns out to be Italian night, most of our table really liked the food that night, we'll never know, but given where we live our Italian food standards are sky-high, so we might had found it bad; everything is relative (some folks think Olive Garden is the cat's pajamas). YMMV

We just returned from our cruise a couple of weeks ago. We found the food to be ok in the MDR, we were always full when we left. We sailed on the Navigator of the Seas about three years ago and the food was much better. We ate at Portofino's on the first formal night because we did the murder mystery dinner. Overall, I think they do a great job with dinner considering the amount of people that they feed every night. The key lime pie on the final night was my favorite plus the lobster was really good but very small.

We were on the Adventure in April. Overall the food was good but not outstanding. Typical mass prepared cruise food. The Caribbean night menu was the weakest which I believe was Weds. You can go to the dining room after boarding and ask to look at the menus.

You will not go hungrey, but do NOT expect 4-5 star food! Think along the lines of Outback, Ruby Tuesdays or Chilis...that's the quality of food nowadays. Used to be more along the lines of Mortons, or Ruth Chris.....now, you have to pay extra for that!

Archived