Miami Hotel Recommendation

tortoisegirl

Hi everyone! I've already done some research on this subject and have a few hotels in mind, but maybe someone can find one that meets all these criteria so we get the best deal out of our money. We're wanting a one night pre-cruise stay near the Miami airport and port.

I found that the La Quinta Miami Airport East has the free airport and port shuttles, but not a full breakfast, and may not be within walking distance of shops (hard to tell). Great price and looks to be good enough for us.

We prefer Holiday Inn Express for their predictability, bedding, breakfast, etc. Didn't see any that had the port shuttle though. Tough to search when I don't know the area.

We'd take a hotel that we had to pay for a port shuttle, but the combined cost would need to be less than the one that includes the port shuttle and be of comparable quality.

1. free airport shuttle

2. free port shuttle

3. free full breakfast (eggs and such; my fiance can't do cereals/toast/etc) or within walking distance of a breakfast place or have a free shuttle to local eateries

4. within walking distance to a liquor store and grocery store or has a free shuttle so we can stock up on supplies ;)

5. hot tub

Thanks in advance!

Setting your criteria up based on shuttle is a poor idea and you'll see that if you scroll through the Florida forums. Long wait times, poor shuttle times, overcrowding, etc usually cause people to go ahead and jump in a cab anyway.

The Holiday Inn at the port is starting to get run down from recent reviews.

I would base your criteria on when you are arriving, time of year, and activities you'd like to experience in Miami or if you are simply looking to hit the hay as soon as you land.

Blueherons is right. If you base your choice on your list, you will have problems finding it. You cannot be near the airport AND the port. So forget that for starters. If you are coming in late and will be basically just sleeping, the airport hotels are okay and most will have a shuttle to pick you up from the airport. (they won't take you to the airport FROM the pier ) And they will be cheaper. Some with shuttles to the port. If not, cab will run around 25$.

Full breakfast?? You'd have to research the hotels for that. Remember they will be serving a big buffet lunch on board, so I'd think the full breakfast could be pushed to the back of your list too.

If you are arrivng by early afternoon, head away from the airport and find a hotel near things you can walk to and get a feel of S. Florida....not a feel of planes shaking you up while you sleep;)

There are lots of recs here. Start reading up! And happy cruising!

Check the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon. Both offer free airport shuttle, have good breakfasts, and a local strip mall with liquor, grocery and dining options (across the street from the HI - 5 min walk from the Homewood Suites). The pool and hot tub at the Homewood Suites was great when we stayed there in March. To get to POM either cab (about $24 + tip) or shuttle for $10 per person. There are other hotels in the same area; Good luck!:)

The port shuttles are normally not a good deal. They run $8-15. You have to wait for others to fill the shuttle. So that's $16-30 for two with a wait.

A taxi should be about $25, so for $30 with tip, you go as soon as your bags are loaded.

If you are traveling with more than 2, the taxi really becomes the best option.

Thanks for the replies. We do not plan on doing anything in Miami before or after the cruise. This hotel is for before the cruise only, the two of us. We both actually hate Miami....so straight to the hotel after picking up beverages and we'll probably have dinner delivered or walk somewhere close if possible.

I wanted the shuttle included for ease, but we can always schedule one if it is a good deal. $25-30 for a taxi seems like a lot when I can get the La Quinta with the shuttle included for well under $100/night when I looked. I know this is subject to change.

I've already spent a few hours researching, and was hoping for some information specific to our situation. :)

Yes, full breakfast is a must for my diabetic fiance. He can't wait until the ship for lunch, and snacks we bring won't tide him over for 6 hours. He can't have the toast or cereal or sweets at the hotel. If the hotel doesn't have a big breakfast than we want to be close to a restaurant.

Maybe I should have asked specifically what is near the La Quinta Miami Airport East? I am having a hard time seeing on Google whether it is near shopping or not. It looks like there are things within a mile (we're fine with a walk in the morning but probably not at night when we want to do beverage shopping).

We don't mind the wait for the shuttle (especially if it was included in a low cost hotel like the La Quinta where we'd be more flexible than if we were paying a lot) and plan to get an early start and hang out at the pier and people watch and look at ships. We never travel with more than we can easily handle ourselves. We'd probably beat the hotel cruise traffic and take the first shuttle out they offer. We could wait while we have our coffee. I'd prefer a shuttle over a cab because I think cabs are kinda creepy, we don't know where we are going (safety-wise) and it would be fun to talk to other cruise ship passengers and maybe even meet someone going on our boat.

I do not like any Holiday Inn non-express I've stayed in or seen, and the one in question does seem to have bad reviews. I will look at the Hampton Inn more; I think that is on my list along with the La Quinta and Holiday Inn Express. Thanks for the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon rec! Had not seen that one. Looks like it's a little over $100; not bad (but then we'd need the shuttle/taxi too). Pretty too.

This is just a quick overnight stay so we don't want anything special. Maybe I should have included our price of under $130 (under $100 if possible but we don't want a complete dump), but I thought that we were willing to stay at a La Quinta would throw that out there. I was hoping to hear if anything would beat the La Quinta deal. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

We have AAA if there are any deals worth snagging with that.

When I said near the airport and port I should have said between. No use traveling across town for a nice hotel when we aren't planning any Miami activities. Oops! We're also fine with right next to the airport as we love watching planes and sleep heavily. If we can save money and it's safe I'm all for it.

Thanks again! Sorry if I didn't explain enough--that's a first for me as I'm usually way too long winded on message boards. I'm also new to the board although I have read the old and new posts extensively.

We stayed at La Quinta in late April and found it great! Although they had no scrambled or fried eggs on the breakfast buffet or meats, there WERE make them yourself waffles, hard boiled eggs, breads, bagels, muffins, cereals, oatmeal, bananas, juices and coffee, tea, juice and milk. I may have forgotten one or two items as the buffet was quite extensive and was replenished regularly. There is also a coffee maker with supplies in your room for starting the morning off right! To me it was certainly a full breakfast, that is for sure and you can not beat the value with the included airport and port shuttles. (We also got free parking included for the 14 days we were on our transatlantic cruise so the value could not be beat!!)

Thanks lambs2, that's what we wanted to hear! I really appreciate the response.

I think we could manage with the hard boiled eggs (he can't eat white carbs so that's the issue).

Could you tell me if there was anywhere good to eat (Mexican food would probably be good) and buy groceries/soda/water within a mile? Or, are they nice enough to at least drive you there so you only take a cab back? I saw a few places on Google Maps but it's tough to get an idea.

The price and that all the transportation is included sounds great. Probably save at least $40 between the two, easy. We're already planning to take a cab or shuttle or whatever we find easy after the cruise, so it would be nice to have everything taken care of pre-cruise so we don't even have to make a phone call.

If you are looking for a hotel near the airport with a cooked to order breakfast, there is an Embassy Suites. You can get cooked to order eggs/omletes, bacon, hashbrowns, waffles, etc. Their website says they do have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We booked this for our cruise in November as we just want a place to stay as we do not get in till later. We are going out of Port Everglades so we booked SAS transportation to get us there.

I do agree with some others that the shuttles from the hotels to the piers can be problematic as there can be so many folks going to various ships. In general, I do not think the shuttle service is set up to transport volumes of people and their luggage.

Thanks lambs2, that's what we wanted to hear! I really appreciate the response.

I think we could manage with the hard boiled eggs (he can't eat white carbs so that's the issue).

Could you tell me if there was anywhere good to eat (Mexican food would probably be good) and buy groceries/soda/water within a mile? Or, are they nice enough to at least drive you there so you only take a cab back? I saw a few places on Google Maps but it's tough to get an idea.

The price and that all the transportation is included sounds great. Probably save at least $40 between the two, easy. We're already planning to take a cab or shuttle or whatever we find easy after the cruise, so it would be nice to have everything taken care of pre-cruise so we don't even have to make a phone call.

Embassy Suites is the hotel next door. They have a couple places to eat there. Other then that there is really nothing except a Bennigan's but the desk staff does NOT recommend eating there!:eek:

4. within walking distance to a liquor store and grocery store or has a free shuttle so we can stock up on supplies ;)

Maybe you ought to go to miamihotelswithfreeshuttleservicetoliquorstores.com

I am sorry but #4 just cracked me up.

If you are looking for a hotel near the airport with a cooked to order breakfast, there is an Embassy Suites. You can get cooked to order eggs/omletes, bacon, hashbrowns, waffles, etc. Their website says they do have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We booked this for our cruise in November as we just want a place to stay as we do not get in till later. We are going out of Port Everglades so we booked SAS transportation to get us there.

I do agree with some others that the shuttles from the hotels to the piers can be problematic as there can be so many folks going to various ships. In general, I do not think the shuttle service is set up to transport volumes of people and their luggage.

We had no problem getting to our ship on time and in an orderly manner. Actually we signed up for the very first shuttle in the morning and got to the pier a few minutes before they started boarding passengerson our ship. At La Quinta we simply signed up for the shuttle the night before at the front desk. Then about five minutes before the designated time we took our luggage down and sat outside with it. They called us BY SHIP when they were loading for a particular one. Everything was handled very professionslly and efficiently. We did make sure and tip them, and when we returned from our transatlantic cruise it just so happened the La Quinta shuttle was sitting out there waiting and it was the sam driver who had taken us to the port 15 days before (so we were extra glad we had tipped that first time!)

OP, Make sure you are looking at the LaQuinta EAST. There are several.

You will find cabs plentiful after the cruise. DON'T prebook anything. You and your fiance can share a regular cab to the airport with another couple if you don't have a ton of luggage. Or there are cab vans available to share.

Shuttles are per person fare and you won't save much of anything...especially not time and patience. Don't take a shuttle service.

My Partner and I had the same trouble finding a hotel! we were looking for one with a shuttle service to and from airport and to and from port! We are flying in from portland, OR and the earliest we arive is 10p.m. none of the shuttles still run at the time! After hearing horror storys about port shuttles we have decided to just take a cab! SOOooo we went for a cheap room... I mean really cheap... It's the Candlewood Inn... I must admit Im a bit scared of a Hotel in Miami that only charges $49 a night!!!

We arrive in Miami 10/31/09. Then were back on 11/8/09, same Hotel both nights. Has anyone else stayed here! the online reviews are all good and the photos make it look nice, but im afraid you get what you pay for! :eek:

My Partner and I had the same trouble finding a hotel! we were looking for one with a shuttle service to and from airport and to and from port! We are flying in from portland, OR and the earliest we arive is 10p.m. none of the shuttles still run at the time! After hearing horror storys about port shuttles we have decided to just take a cab! SOOooo we went for a cheap room... I mean really cheap... It's the Candlewood Inn... I must admit Im a bit scared of a Hotel in Miami that only charges $49 a night!!!

We arrive in Miami 10/31/09. Then were back on 11/8/09, same Hotel both nights. Has anyone else stayed here! the online reviews are all good and the photos make it look nice, but im afraid you get what you pay for! :eek:

You mean the Candlewood Suites at the airport? 2 star property. if you're using it just to slepp the firts night okay..then take a cab to the port in the a.m. I'd find another spot for the post cruise tho. Why be stuck out there when all of Miami Beach is waiting for you? Unless you plan on just sitting at your hotel all day, I'd go for a better place and location so you can enjoy your last day in Florida.

Rates will be lower when you are there everywhere. Look around.

Thanks for the Embassy Suites recommendation. I will look at that. I think we'd be content with ordering in for dinner, and then taking a cab to pick up beverages either that night or morning. That said I don't know if that is the best option.

My other idea is to do Holiday Inn Express as that is our favorite chain. Full breakfast, airport shuttle, local shuttle within a mile radius, we are adding up points there, local restaurants and shopping within a mile (so we have the option to walk too), and then we'd just take a cab to the port in the am as suggested. I looked again and it's $95 with AAA so that's good. I like predictable and they are very predictable. The extra $50 between the La Quinta (including port transportation) could be worth it for a little nicer stay and things nearby for shopping/dinner so we'd have the option. It is our Honeymoon after all!

Why is #4 funny? I thought that was typical! I'm actually thinking now we can just bring the liquor because I don't drink so we'd only have hard alcohol for 1 person (2 smallish bottles). Bring the rum runners, and transfer it to the rum runners from bottles in Miami. That is if we have luggage weight (I think we're doing 2 checked big bags, 1 carry on roller bag, and 2 backpacks carry on). The 50 lb rule is tough unless it's all clothes for a big bag.

All the airlines we've looked at seem to do the 1st checked bag fee. I think that is so dumb. I have the greatest idea ever: charge everyone $15 more, and give a refund for those who don't check a bag! So, we're trying to only check 1 bag each, each way.

Yes I was looking at La Quinta Miami Airport East. Sorry again. Glad to hear they have an efficient shuttle though! We have some time to decide. I am really overdoing the early research but I want to ensure we have the best trip possible as this is our first real vacation (4 years dating). Hearing everyone's specific opinions helps a lot.

Wow that's amazing that the driver from there was waiting for you! Never heard of that before; I thought you had to call. Did you leave your car there so they were expecting you, or did you just tip that big?

I guess we have nixed a shuttle unless it is free with the hotel. Hopefully we can fly in before too late in the day, but I like to avoid first thing in the morning flights because I always seem so groggy all day, and we're coming in from Seattle WA, so we may have to choose between one or the other. I'd probably choose an am flight over getting in at 10pm.

To the poster about the Candlewood: Make sure you see recent photos of the inside of the rooms. I will never again book without this! Had a horrible Days Inn experience once in Vegas... I agree to book a better place if you are staying longer, but if you just need somewhere to sleep, cheap is good.

Anyone have any money saving sites besides going to either the hotel sites or Expedia/Travelocity/etc? I will be using AAA if possible.

Kinda leaning towards Holiday Inn Express now as I think it met all our criteria except the port shuttle which now sounds like we don't want it anyways!

You all have been so helpful. Keep the comments coming if you choose. :) Best wishes.

In case anyone is wondering here are the rates I looked up (for a random Friday night as that is usually the most expensive). I think Holiday Inn Express is the only AAA rate as most had you put in the # to get the quote.

Holiday Inn Express $95

La Quinta $77

Mapton Inn $100

Homewood Suites $110

Embasy Suites $120

Hyatt Regency downtown Miami is an excellent hotel. From airport cab should cost you $25 (I'd forget about hotel shuttle) to the hotel. Cab from the hotel to the POM will be approx $15. On priceline look to pay $80 per room for this beautiful hotel. There are very nice cafes within 3-4 blocks of the hotel for a relaxing made to order eggs, juice, coffee, toast etc for reasonable price. The hotel does have a very elaborate full buffet breakfast but at $25 it was pricey for us and we went out for breakfast.

Wow that's amazing that the driver from there was waiting for you! Never heard of that before; I thought you had to call. Did you leave your car there so they were expecting you, or did you just tip that big?

Just need to clarify that we were going on a transatlantic cruise. SO it was from the AIRPORT back to the hotel that we saw the same shuttle driver for La Quinta East again. (Our car was parked there so we caught the free shuttle back to the hotel from the airport to pick up our vehicle.) NO shuttle service is available from LaQuinta East back from the port. Our tip to the driver was just a few bucks, but he still remembered us and was great. It was just a coincidence that the LaQuinta East van was there when we exited the airport with our luggage although we could easily have called for it, and had planned to do so. We did see lots of folks just stiffing the driver and thought that was unacceptable and just plain CHEAP being that the shuttle was a free service...

Why is #4 funny? I thought that was typical! I'm actually thinking now we can just bring the liquor because I don't drink so we'd only have hard alcohol for 1 person (2 smallish bottles). Bring the rum runners, and transfer it to the rum runners from bottles in Miami. That is if we have luggage weight (I think we're doing 2 checked big bags, 1 carry on roller bag, and 2 backpacks carry on). The 50 lb rule is tough unless it's all clothes for a big bag.

It wasn't the going to the liquor store, it was the wondering if there was a hotel that provided a shuttle to liquor stores. It just struck me a funny. Please don't take it personally--not trying to make fun.

ohhh...I meant more that they had a local shuttle for shopping areas, which may include a liquor store. I think I read hard alcohol is only sold in liquor stores? I've lived places it's only sold in state-run stores, and places they sell anything anywhere, including drive through and at grocery stores.

In case anyone is wondering here are the rates I looked up (for a random Friday night as that is usually the most expensive). I think Holiday Inn Express is the only AAA rate as most had you put in the # to get the quote.

Holiday Inn Express $95

La Quinta $77

Mapton Inn $100

Homewood Suites $110

Embasy Suites $120

You asked about sites for lower rates. Have you looked at Travelzoo, hotwire,easyclicktravel,priceline ? Those will beat your AAA rates. Also don't use the hotel web site exclusively....if you don

't see a special low web rate, call the hotel direct and ask what they can give you. Individual hotels have the option of adjusting costs and/or adding perks to your stay. Don't be afraid to play one hotel against another either.

BTW....Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon is nice as is Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon. If you are in the Blue Lagoon area, you will be in walking distance to shops and restaurants. Better than being stuck somewhere in the middle of no where, and having to cab it for a meal or shopping. You'll get what you pay for.

Don't get prices for "Random" dates. Waste of time! Things vary so much in the MIA area from day to day. Friday nights are not necessarily the most "popular" nights ??!

Archived