Optional formal night poll

Bridge Maven

How do you dress for the optional formal night?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. How do you dress for the optional formal night?

• Male - a tux
    • Male - a suit
    • Male - a tie and jacket
    • Male - a colored shirt
    • Male - the same way I dress on any other night
    • Male - other (explain below)
    • Female - a long gown
    • Female - a cocktail dress
    • Female - a nice dres
    • Female - a long skirt
    • Female - a short skirt
    • Female - dressy pants and top
    • Female - the same way I dress on any other night
    • Female - other (explain below)

The whole reason we sail NCL is because of the way we can dress for dinner the way we feel comfortable. I carry two pair of slacks / dockers pants with several different polo shirts for all our cruises (we've only sailed twice). It works for us.:D:D:D

The whole reason we sail NCL is because of the way we can dress for dinner the way we feel comfortable. I carry two pair of slacks / dockers pants with several different polo shirts for all our cruises (we've only sailed twice). It works for us.:D:D:D

If it works for you-that's G-R-E-A-T!!

(btw-I pack much like you do)

I sail NCL because there is no compulsory formal night plus the benefit of choosing my own schedule. We always dress in clean, tidy clothes but really do prefer to dress how we want to and not feel either uncomfortable or out of place as we do not own loads of finery. As a woman I never wear dresses or skirts only trousers and tops but that is not to say I look scruffy. Wearing heels puts too much stress onto my knee joints so flat shoes all the time for me.

to honor the many Filipino workers onboard, i wear my traditional filipino equivalent of formal wear the "barong"...weaved from pineapple fiber with handmade embroidery every night.

but you need to buy a new one this has too many holes.

I am just happy no one tells me I have to wear the penguin outfit. If you want to wear one I don't object but I prefer that NCL or any cruise line doesn't tell me what to wear....as long as its neat and clean. That is more important than wearing a worn out tux that doesn't fit...

but you need to buy a new one this has too many holes.

they are quite delicate that's for sure! no worry...i have about 8 custom made ones in that fiber. the others are made of polyester blends for the more "casual" occassions.

I had to pick other. I have worn cocktail dresses and dressy slacks and blouses but this cruise I am wearing a long dress. My husband has done a dark suit, shirt and tie but this time is wearing a tux. We are cruising with friends and think it fun to dress up! Also, we have both lost weight so buying a new gown and hubby getting his tux altered is exciting!

I think I just found a brother I didn't know I had :D Only sailed once and for the same reason (actually....the wife picked NCL for that reason). 2nd cruise already booked.

We have no interest in looking elswhere unless it's Free.

I chose cocktail dress because that’s what I wore every time on my previous sailings and what I will probably wear on the next one. On Cunard, I wore long gowns on formal nights and cocktail dress for semi-formal nights.

Personnally, I feel a little out of place (maybe because I often cruise solo, not as part of a group), to wear a long gown when other women might be in capris but I don’t mind a cocktail dress in those situations.

It will be DBF first cruise and he is a very casual guy (doesn’t own a single suit or sport jacket). When we booked, I told him no jeans for dinner but now that they are allowed, he is very happy that he will be able to wear them a few times paired with a button-down shirt, and he will have cargo pants for other nights. For optional formal nights - or “Dress up (or not) Nights – we agreed that he will wear his best slacks and button-down shirts because I prefer when he does an effort to dress nice when I am doing this effort.

I dress appropriately either a cocktail dress, nice slacks and a nice top. I don't understand why others dress like total slobs, but I guess that's why it's Freestyle :confused:

Because one person's total slob is another person's relaxing casual wear.

My take (as an Englishman) is that dressing up a bit does:-

a) make you feel good

b) attract the attention of the staff

On NCL the full-blown evening dress up is probably OTT but a smart jacket/decent shirt and trousers does help to 'smooth the wheels' despite the Freestyle concept (of which I am a great fan).

Our experience is limited to two cruises so far (third one coming up next year :D) - on the Baltic Capitals on the Jewel last summer a few dressed up but many were casual to the point of scruffy. On the 5-day Ireland Jade trip recently there was a lot more dressing up and the whole atmosphere was different and better.

DJ/Tux & ties are not necessary - just pack a decent jacket, shirts and slacks and you will be fine.

If you were staying in a half-way decent hotel you would not go to dinner in shorts and flip-flops so why should it be different on a cruise ship?

I usually dress the way I do any other night, which is usually nice slacks and a nice top.

We just got back from Alaska on the Star and formal night just happened to be the same evening as the Captain's VIP party, so this time I wore a cocktail dress to the party and then just kept it on the rest of the evening.

I usually dress the way I do any other night, which is usually nice slacks and a nice top.

We just got back from Alaska on the Star and formal night just happened to be the same evening as the Captain's VIP party, so this time I wore a cocktail dress to the party and then just kept it on the rest of the evening.

If you don't mind me asking, how were others dressed on the Dress up or not (or whatever it's called) night? Our cruise to Alaska later this month will be my 1st NCL cruise. One of my sisters wants me to wear a long skirt & beaded top. She likes the outfit on me. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, the shoes that go with that outfit kill my feet. If most people don't dress up that much, I'll have an excuse to get out of it. :p OTOH, if we get there & others are dressed more formally, I'll never hear the end of it. I'm still bringing a dress, just a more casual one.

Since there are usually two 'dress up or not' nights on a week long cruise, I generally wear a formal (long) gown to the first one (so that's what I voted) and a cocktail dress to the second. My husband and daughter follow suit for the first one, and for the rest of the cruise they're dressed 'nicely', but not as dressy as I am. We have formal pictures taken on the first night, and it saves us the trouble of having a yearly family photo taken. :)

I usually pack a black skirt. I have one that is a broomstick skirt, dressy fabric with some sequins. I take a few dressy tops so I can get different looks with the skirt.

I bought a pair of black sandals - dressy high heels - on sale a few years ago. They don't take up much room in the suitcase and they do not hurt my feet. They are reserved for travel. In fact, they stay in the suitcase. Packing any shoes for a cruise that hurts your feet is a big mistake.

I usally bring a cocktail dress or a long gown, actually depends on the cruise. DH will bring a dress shirt & tie w/ a vest. Seems like the Captains parties are a little dressier than resort casual (at least it's not formal anymore) so like to be prepared;).

After 160 total responses, I have noticed around 20 percent of the men wish to wear a tie, whereas around 40 percent of the women wish to wear a very nice dress.

At the other end over 40 percent of the men wish to dine with the same clothes they wore all day, whereas less than 40 percent of the women wish to dine with the same clothes they wore all day. But around 40 percent for both....

No wonder why NCL has embraced resort casual attire......

I usally bring a cocktail dress or a long gown, actually depends on the cruise. DH will bring a dress shirt & tie w/ a vest. Seems like the Captains parties are a little dressier than resort casual (at least it's not formal anymore) so like to be prepared;).

Really? We wore shorts, sandals & t-shirt to the last one....and were JUST in the process of explaining to the Captain that we thought we'd underdressed, when he interrupted and said "that's what Freestyle is all about... you can dress to feel comfortable".

At the other end over 40 percent of the men wish to dine with the same clothes they wore all day, whereas less than 40 percent of the women wish to dine with the same clothes they wore all day. But around 40 percent for both....

Gee I hope they didn't really mean "the same clothes they wore all day.":D

Archived