What food on a cruise did you miss??

Buddy L

Recently on EOS, and at breakfast time in the windjammer, you have all that choice but...NO BAKED BEANS. Disgraceful. :eek:

It all gets a bit dry without a good portion of baked beans.

Loved the english muffins...hash browns were dreadful...corned beef hash, so, so...sausage ok, but a week without beans, a travesty.

Am I one sandwich short of a picnic?

Just thought...no black pudding either!!!

Is there a food you expected to be there but wasn't?

I mean, all that choice and no beans, scandalous!!

I missed beans sooooooo much!!! We even had a conversation in the WIg and Gravel pub which the whole pub joined in!! I *love* beans with a breakfast!!!

I also love chips cheese and beans and missed that on the cruise!

Other than that I loved the food, I actually miss teh food off teh ship (ecspecially the roast garlic soup and the tomato soup!!)

Gem

If you look at the upper right hand corners of the posts, you will find that the posters who missed beans are from the UK, and I think England specifically.

It looks like Royal Caribbean caters to US tastes, especially on Caribbean cruises. Uptheboro, you will have to find out what the US equivalent of HP and Daddies are, and then we can tell you if you will need to bring some.

They have steak sauce and dijon mustard, but I do not remember Worcestershire sauce. There was no brown mustard, yellow mustard or Colman's. We didn't find tartar sauce either. But frankly, we somehow coped.

Baked beans with egg and chips! Yum! Somehow, Americans miss out on that breakfast dish.

They will have "steak sauce" but it's sweetish and not as spicy as HP sauce. That said, they usually have a lovely gourmet sauce on the steak so you shouldn't need steak sauce!

To the American readers: the English people I know (my whole family) are quite conservative about food. I do not see it out of character for an English person to bring the condiment they are used to on a cruise. Americans tend to be MUCH more adventurous, so the notion of bringing your own condiments probably seems silly.

It's all about cultural differences.

:)

Recently on EOS, and at breakfast time in the windjammer, you have all that choice but...NO BAKED BEANS. Disgraceful. :eek:

QUOTE]

Disgraceful?? Hummmm With thousands of people around I am glad there are no baked beans to be had. Haven't noticed any corned beef and cabbage---could there be a reason behind this madness?? :eek: :eek: ;) :p

what makes black pudding black? To answer your question' date=' another name for black pudding is "blood pudding". You may thank me later.

Allen[/quote']

Please tell me you are kidding.....EWWWWW Note to self......when in doubt in the buffet line----skip it........

I am not sure that this is on any of the ships in the RCCL fleet and I know

that it wasn't on Majesty. I would have loved to have boiled ribs (beef

or pork) with sourkraut. That would have been so good with my mashed

potatoes.

Also, corned beef and cabbage would have been nice........

"British Cuisine" - the ultimate oxymoron.

Carol (ducking)

How can you say that, we have McDonalds!!!!!!!

Black pudding is made from blood mixed with herbs and spices. It is actually becoming very fashionable in England and is finding its way onto the menus of "posh" food places. It is traditionally fried and served as a breakfast dish, looking like a black version of the American sausage pattie.

You might be surprised to learn how many cultures in the world actually do include beans and various other legumes as part of breakfast. I've had them with eggs, cheese, sausage/bacon, and onions wrapped in tortillas--yum! I've had them over potatoes with eggs and veggies--also yum. Many cultures use last night's leftovers to create this morning's breakfast. It's no weirder than cold pizza for breakfast, which I don't like at all. And if you think about, how much difference does it really make what time of day we eat something; if we like it, we like it and if we don't, we don't.

Just food for thought, so to speak.

beachchick

I too have never heard of beans for breakfast...

We were in Costa Rica for a couple of weeks, and a combination of beans mixed with rice was always on the Breakfast menu or as part of the buffet offerings. It seemed so weird to me at first but it was actually not too bad, a little bland though for my taste.

My parents are both from Scotland and whenever they would visit relatives in Scotland, (or in Michigan...apparently there was a great store in the Detroit area that sold Scottish food products) they would always bring home black pudding. I'll always remember how it would smell when it was being cooked. Ugh! Did not like it at all.

Just 2 weeks ago I was in England visiting friends and on the breakfast buffet at our hotel was black pudding. I thought, "I'm an adult now, I will keep my mind open and give it a try." UGH again! Still tasted awful to me....LOL I do believe it is an aquired taste. smile.gif And there was beans on the buffet too.

Regarding the HP sauce...whenever I go visit my friends in England I MUST to bring home a couple of bottles of HP sauce for my older brother. It is sold here in the States, but somehow it just doesn't taste the same. Like its made just a wee bit different. Also, in England, I can get a bottle twice the size, for half the price than here in California.

"British Cuisine" - the ultimate oxymoron.

Carol (ducking)

Not sure what that means, but, is `American Intelligence` an oxymoron? :D

I mean it in the military sense, not a general sense (Ducking) :D

Also, is this from the country that brought the world...hamburgers(that aren't made from ham!!!), hot dogs(and I'll bet they're not made from dogs!!!), McDonalds, KFC, Denny's, Wendy's, Sizzler...a veritable oasis of haute cuisine.

(Now I'm ducking, I'm also doing a bit of bobbing and weaving...c'mon you guys, its all tongue in cheek you know!!!) :D :D :D

1st, An Australian view on the bean issue is that beans for breakfast are an absolute must. Natures way of being regular

2nd Black pudding an absolute no way

3rd Buddy L notes "a veritable oasis of haute cuisine"

Last week an article titled "Haute Cuisine for the Masses" 12/6/2004

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2004/nf2004126_2132_db016.htm

(Celebrity chefs are signing on with fast-food chains, airlines, and cookware manufacturers, and their influence is spreading rapidly)

Of course our scooter riding Mr Oliver or Nigella would never do that (Duck)

Archived