Poll: What do men actually wear on Princess Formal Nights?

Times Prince

On Formal Nights, PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY, what do I actually wear?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. On Formal Nights, PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY, what do I actually wear?

• I (or my spouse) wear a tuxedo to the main dining room (MDR).
    • I wear a suit and tie to the main dining room
    • I have worn either a tuxedo or a suit/tie to the MDR
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with a tie to the MDR
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with open collar or turtleneck to the MDR
    • I do not wear a coat/tie and have NEVER been queried about dress code by the Maitre'D
    • I do not wear a coat/tie and HAVE been queried about dress code or been turned away by the Maitre'D
    • I choose to dress casual and do not eat in the main dining room on formal nights

(Princess only) Men's Formal Poll

We have often seen opinions about what is worn or could be worn to the Main Dining Room. The Princess Cruises dress code for formal nights is fairly clear.

Many posts are from a small set of persons with fairly strong viewpoints about what they would LIKE to see, and may not reflect what is actually done.

For instance I have read posters who adamantly support casual dress but admit they always dress per the formal dress suggestions.

Several, including myself, have posted approximate statistics on type of men's dress observed (e.g. 40% tuxedo, 45% suit, 10% sport coat/tie, 5% other), which being based on observation may be conflicting data to the Cruise Critic reader.

The intent of this poll is to see what the real statistics may be for a sample of Cruise Critic members who have sailed on Princess Cruises.

This poll should:

• only show what the man actually wears. This is not a "what should be allowed" poll.
  • Be for Princess Cruises only (not other cruise lines)
  • show one person = one vote (not who can post more comments supporting a position)
  • enable all Cruise Critic members to stand up and be counted (poll is anonymous).

The objective is to have the numbers speak for themselves for those cruisers who wonder what is the "norm" for men's wear on formal nights.

Long-sleeved dark colored dress shirt, no tie (usually), dress slacks and dress shoes for me. Never once been questioned by a maitre d' on now 6 Princess cruises totaling 14 formal nights.

I was going to wear a tux. but after trying to rent one from the Princess sub-contractor, they called me 5 days later saying they don't have tux. pants long enough for me............so I guess I have to pack 2 suits....:(

My husband wears a tux, and I think he's at his most handsome in it. He has my late father's cufflinks and studs, which are beautiful as well as sentimental. I love getting ready for formal night together--the little extra things we have to do to be dressed formally somehow make it even more special.

My dh always wears a tux or suit on formal nights in the DR and I wish that Princess would enforce this on all their ships! By allowing more casual dress in DR only causes more confusion and bickering.

I was going to wear a tux. but after trying to rent one from the Princess sub-contractor, they called me 5 days later saying they don't have tux. pants long enough for me............so I guess I have to pack 2 suits....:(

Do like my DH does, he brings one dark suit and two completely different dress shirts.

I wear a tux and I rent one for my son. I figure by the time I buy him a suit he will outgrow in 6 months, he might as well have one also. I don't think it matters if the man wears a tux or a dark suit.

I consider the formal nights to be an important part of the ambience of cruising. I wouldn't dream of not wearing a tux.

When my oldest son got married, there was no specific "uniform" for the father of the groom. Therefore, I decided I would buy a nice classically styled tux which wouldn't go out of style. It has stood me in good stead for nearly twenty years. I've saved many times more than the cost by not having to rent tuxes for formal occasions.

Same here, but I take a selection of bow ties,

if there is more than one formal night,

You cant wear the same outfit twice :eek::D

You bet. He has black, red, green and a silver/black combo. We sort of try to coordinate with my outfits. Not to difficult; I usually wear black. :D

The poll did leave out one question that would be interesting to know.

If on formal nights people were given the choice to dress formally or not I really wonder how many would choose the more formal attire. I'm sure there are many that do so only because the cruise line indicates it in their suggested rules. :confused:

If on formal nights people were given the choice to dress formally or not I really wonder how many would choose the more formal attire. I'm sure there are many that do so only because the cruise line indicates it in their suggested rules. :confused:

We would if given the choice. If NO formal night such as NCL then I would, DH would dress nicely, smart casual.

There are many men who do so because they don't wish to up with the wrath of the lovely wife. She looks better when he looks good.

That's the only looks she cares about along with the one one in the mirror:D

She looks better when he looks good.

That's the only looks she cares about along with the one one in the mirror:D

Also, it has been said that a man in a tux at dinner has way more fun after dinner.. ;);)

Good point - what people do versus what they believe they are supposed to do.

Still it is interesting that there is a significant minority that does not fit in or does not want to fit in (eat in the buffet, no tie, or no jacket and tie). These seem like people ready for NCL, or Azmarama if they have more money. These casual cruisers harm no one, there are likely plenty who would like to join them, and there are other alternatives. I know the formal crowd feels like they have won, but if I were Princess's CFO I would not want to balance the budget thinking I could lose these passengers if I started enforcing a strict dress code. These numbers will just get better as the years go by (worse if you are a member of the fashion police).

The suit is in the lost luggage will just eat away at these numbers as time goes by. :D:D:D

Archived