RECENT Cruisers - Shorts in Dining Room

carla1183

I totally agree with 24butterfly...Is it really SUCH a HUGE effort to slide into a pair of pants and wear a decent shirt to dinner? If it is, then that's what the Lido deck cafeteria/pizza bar/pool bar/room service is for !!!!

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy your evening meal while spotting a crude tattoo on some guy's leg 'cause he's wearing pool shorts in the D.R !!!!

ewww

lol

Would I spoil your dinner if you saw my tattoo on my shoulder in my cocktail dress:confused:

They probably keep their opinions to themselves. Can't believe you wouldn't have enough respect for yourself and for others to adhere to a simple and not inconvenient dresscode.

Good grief, how is wearing shorts disrespectful? Read the dress code on Carnival's site. Long shorts are acceptable on casual nights.

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy your evening meal while spotting a crude tattoo on some guy's leg 'cause he's wearing pool shorts in the D.R !!!!

POOL SHORTS are not allowed in the dining room.... DRESS shorts are.... and although I have no "tats" on my leg I have seen MANY leg tats on women who wear dresses... what should they to to save your eyesite?

You know what? I don't understand why the way someone is dressed has an affect on someone else. Why the heck do you CARE what the other guys are wearing?

I dress up in the dining room because I LIKE to, but the guy next to me in shorts is not going to detract from my enjoyment of my dinner if he's wearing shorts.

Why be so judgmental of others? Poor self esteem? Control issues?

People follow the dress code and ignore those judgmental folks that think they need to control others. We could psychoanalyze that but really why bother? :D

I totally agree with 24butterfly...Is it really SUCH a HUGE effort to slide into a pair of pants and wear a decent shirt to dinner? If it is, then that's what the Lido deck cafeteria/pizza bar/pool bar/room service is for !!!!

ewww

lol

and your appetite is somehow different in the afternoon than in the evening?

ewww

lol

Pool shorts are not allowed!

AND have you been in public lately..........Tattoos are in, you will see more people with tattoos than not.

I guess I'm one of the old fogies, but we always dress nicely for dinner. I wear a dress and DH wears khakis and a polo or Hawaiin shirt. I look at it this way, I am at a sit down dining establishment, with tablecloths, cloth napkins, nice china, silverware and glassware. I want to dress to fit with the atmosphere. If we are too tired or rushed to dress up, we eat on the Lido deck. jmho

Sewut

It's allowed, but never OK. This is just to accommodate the hill people that are now cruising with the low fares, and they need to eat too.

Thank you, Mr. Pete. You said it best, and with more tact than I would.

I have only worn shorts in the dining room on sail night (no luggage), but have nothing against anyone who does. I resent the comment about hill people. But I guess the reason DW and I have obtained Platinum is because we are "hill people cruising due to low fares."

I guess I'm one of the old fogies, but we always dress nicely for dinner. I wear a dress and DH wears khakis and a polo or Hawaiin shirt. I look at it this way, I am at a sit down dining establishment, with tablecloths, cloth napkins, nice china, silverware and glassware. I want to dress to fit with the atmosphere. If we are too tired or rushed to dress up, we eat on the Lido deck. jmho

Sewut

Very good for you...

I'm well over the 40 something and as stated before live at the beach and wear shorts to work/church/dining out/etc.... IN FACT if I was to wear LONG pants I would stand out... to each to his own but don't tell me its vulgar or bad for ME to wear them.

I have only worn shorts in the dining room on sail night (no luggage), but have nothing against anyone who does. I resent the comment about hill people. But I guess the reason DW and I have obtained Platinum is because we are "hill people cruising due to low fares."

well said!!!

Oh the tattoo comment was really uncalled for - same goes for us women so if we have a tattoo on our leg, back etc, that can be seen when we wear a dress we are now to wear something different too.

If you don't like that shorts can be worn then perhaps you need to choose another cruise line other than Carnival is all I can say. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a pair of khaki type shorts etc and we have changed into those for dinner from what we may have had on earlier in the day.

Sometimes I think people are just way to snobbish to have to concern themselves with what someone else is wearing. It definately shouldn't bother them, if it does then I say they have some personal issues of their own they need to resolve.

---Quote (Originally by 24butterfly)---

Geez--I think I'd rather be dining with the Beverly Hillbillies. At least THEY wore pants and shirts to the dinner table!

---End Quote---

:eek: have she never noticed what Elli Mae wears to the dinner table??

I think that rope belt is especially classy:rolleyes:

Very good for you...

I'm well over the 40 something and as stated before live at the beach and wear shorts to work/church/dining out/etc.... IN FACT if I was to wear LONG pants I would stand out... to each to his own but don't tell me its vulgar or bad for ME to wear them.

Same here, its 110 degrees outside, i would not make someone put pants on to go eat, Oh and i work at an upscale restaurant, yes dress shorts are fine, It's summer in California, i wouldn't expect to see anything else.

Even though a lot of people wear khaki/navy shorts doesn't make it OK. Technically only pants (for men) should be worn in the dining room. I am 20 and will be cruising with mother, father, 2 brothers, cousin and boyfriend. All the men in our group will be wearing pants. Besides, dinner is only 2 hours and right after it ends we all go back to the room and change. Suck it up!

:eek: have she never noticed what Elli Mae wears to the dinner table??

Your English says it all.....

I am absolutely ROTHFLMAO---.

That poster was right!

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

They kind of frown on it. (the Maitre D'). Is it so terrible to ask the men to wear pants at night and reserve shorts for daytime? It's just for a couple of hours. I believe they are trying to keep a sense of decorum in the dining room. My husband hates to get dressed, but for a couple of nights, he bites the bullet, is a gentleman, and wears pants.

Who frowns on it? Certainly the Maitre 'd doesn't. If a gentleman wants to wear clothing that is within the guidelines it is perfectly acceptable. The only people who frown upon it are ones that want you to dress like every night requires a suit.

To the OP tell your husband to wear his shorts and enjoy himself.

It's allowed, but never OK. This is just to accommodate the hill people that are now cruising with the low fares, and they need to eat too.

It is always OK on cruise casual nights. Some people may not like it but for them there are lines like Seabourne.

They probably keep their opinions to themselves. Can't believe you wouldn't have enough respect for yourself and for others to adhere to a simple and not inconvenient dresscode.

Why is it that some people want to IGNORE the part of the dress code that specifically says that long shorts are acceptable. It is a throw back to the days of old, and for those folks there are some of the uppity luxury lines.

Here's part of post #5:

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

I like the way you edited the original post by changing Cruise Elegant to read Crusie Casual. NOT

Why not just admit that you don't understand the rules and are wrong.

You're darn tootin' (I don't think I've even TYPED that :eek:).

Wish the 60= ish guy who thought he looked like Adonis on my last RCCL cruise knew that.

OMG you must have been on the Radiance in Hawaii last May!

(But on the topic of what to wear, I never saw such a bunch of silliness in my life!) Taking into account all the various rules and regulations, I'll make everyone a deal: YOU decide what you are going to wear, within what YOU believe to be the regulations, and I will do the same....

(Seriously, were you on the Radiance last May?)

Archived