RECENT Cruisers - Shorts in Dining Room

carla1183

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Someone is tightly wound!

Even though a lot of people wear khaki/navy shorts doesn't make it OK. Technically only pants (for men) should be worn in the dining room. I am 20 and will be cruising with mother, father, 2 brothers, cousin and boyfriend. All the men in our group will be wearing pants. Besides, dinner is only 2 hours and right after it ends we all go back to the room and change. Suck it up!

Does being 20 have anything to do with you NOT understanding the dress code. Go back to the beginning of this thread and READ the dress code. Dress Shorts ARE allowed in the dining room on Casual nights.

It is obvious that some in this thread probably had low scores in the reading comprehension section of their SAT's.:p

Carnival clearly states what they consider appropriate attire for both casual and elegant evenings in their dining room.

Personal opinions about what constitutes "appropriate" attire in a dining establishment are irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I was raised to dress appropriately. In the dining room on Carnival, it is fancy and people should dress with respect and class. If you so chose to not follow those rules, fine. It doesn't affect my meal whatsoever, I just think it's a little ..um.. distasteful. On the last cruise, my family and I sat with a group who did not make any attempt to dress nicely. We obviously didn't like this but regardless they were nice people and we enjoyed eating with them.

With that said, on the same token, Carnival obviously does not enfore the dress code so does it really matter? I'm sure if Carnival was strict about the dress code then people would be more inclined to dress accordingly. If Carnival does not want to hold a high standard for their dinning room attire, so be it. I still love Carnival.

Stop fighting everyone :)

I just got back from a week on the Pride. I'm an older and I feel rather conservative person. We had the "anytime dining". I can't tell you how many times while sitting waiting to be called to a table I saw men of all ages walk out of the dining room wearing nice dress shorts and golf style shirts. In some cases the wives were wearing capris and in other cases they were wearing sundresses. I remember thinking how nice they all looked. I feel dress shorts on men are well within the dining dress code, but to each his own.

I think its a shame that the cruise line has relaxed the dress code to even let it get this far.

I've felt the same way but I refuse to let it effect my cruise.

I sent John Heald an email about this subject and he requested that I add it to the blog so he can address it publicly. This is what I asked him:

Sometimes, regardless of what's written, people follow their own path.

There's yet another discussion going on about the dress code for the dining rooms. Everyone knows what it says at Carnival.com but the real world experience is VASTLY different. Many people are reporting that the dress in the dining room is no better than what we see at the Lido Deck buffet and I don't doubt what they're saying.

I recall last year when the dress code was 'relaxed'. There was a great deal of objection to the more lax standards and forecasts of exactly what people are reporting now. Are the Maitre d's no longer enforcing the dress code at all?? If that's the case, it's a sad state of affairs, indeed.

Can you offer any wisdom??

Thanks a bunch, my friend!!!

Look for his response on tomorrow's blog.

:)

The thread is 3 hours old and over 80 replies from the fashion police!

Here's my 2 cents-

I live in Manhattan...NYC. So I don't think I qualify as a hillbilly.

I get to be dressed up as much as I want. I mean , really dressed, with real diamonds etc.

When I'm on vacation I like to relax......

I just don't see the point of taking extra clothes, extra shoes etc...wear them for 2 hours and then go back to the cabin to put on the casual clothing.

It reminds me of how I played "dress up" when I was a little kid. :D

Relax and enjoy your cruise...the food tastes the same no matter what you wear. (Wait...it tastes better if your casual...because those clothes expand more!)

I think some of the those making replies here are confusing "casual" night and "elegant" night in the dining rooms. If you follow Carnival's recommended dress codes for each it would appear to be fairly straightforward to me. (Although I guess that's not really the case or we wouldn't be on the 5th page of posts on this topic.)

On our past cruises we haven't used the dining room on casual nights that often because of our scheduled shore excursions, and sometimes we were just too tired and chose the Lido Deck buffet instead. During the formal nights (now called elegant nights) I have always dressed in a suit and tie. During our cruise to the southern carribean this October we intend to use the dining room for both casual and elegant nights. On casual nights I plan on wearing nice dress type of shorts and either a resort casual or golf-style polo shirt with either nice sandals or decent pair of leather boat shoes. On elegant nights I again intend to dress in a suit and tie.

If you've read my post to this point, you should be asking yourself "who cares"? .... and that is EXACTLY my point. Wear whatever YOU feel comfortable in as long as it remains within the stated dress code as set out by the ship you are cruising on. If you meet these conditions, then forget about what the cruiser beside you is thinking.

Life (and cruises) are way too short to worry about insignificant subjects like this.

I was raised to dress appropriately. In the dining room on Carnival, it is fancy and people should dress with respect and class. If you so chose to not follow those rules, fine. It doesn't affect my meal whatsoever, I just think it's a little ..um.. distasteful.

You were "raised" to dress "appropriately".... in what culture? You do know that different cultures have different styles...

AND unless you have just skimmed this thread Carnival does allow dress shorts in the dining room most nights... so no one is "not following the rules" when wearing them... You seem to have a "special" feeling about yourself and that's fine but don't tell me I am not following the rules... it's a little um.. distasteful!!!! LMAO

I think dress shorts and polo shirts look great and very appropriate. Anything else shouldn't be allowed in IMO but it doesnt bother me if it is.

We were on the Valor a couple of weeks ago and the couple at the table beside of us were way under dressed each night. In fact, one night the guy wore swimming trunks with a caribbean style shirt! Tacky!! And his wife tucked her napkin in her shirt around her neck like a bib. :eek: So dress shorts/polo shirts would have looked like a huge step up for him. :p

:eek: have she never noticed what Elli Mae wears to the dinner table??

Your English says it all.....

I am absolutely ROTHFLMAO---.

That poster was right!

Oh Yes, that small typing error makes you so much better than everyone else, Let me try it in Spanish, maybe it will be proper enough for you!

Yes. It appears they had no choice.

WHY exactly do you cruise on Carnival? I bet the smoke/chair hogs/"hovercraft"/teens/no midnight buffet/LOUD people/shorts wearing/etc. all drive you crazy... why would you put yourself through all this just to cruise on a ship you hate? Really I would like to know....

I'm from Arizona and what constitutes "dress" and "casual" here are vastly different than what you'll find elsewhere - particularly in the east and northeast part of the country. Those of you who think folks need to dress up more probably would want me to wear pantihose which I haven't done in years because I DON'T WANT OR NEED TO!! I try to look nice, whereever I go but I don't give a hang what you choose to wear and it isn't going to affect my having a good time ever!

Oh, and the comment about "wearing a napkin like a bib" (or something like that) really struck home.:eek: I am blessed/cursed with a rather large bosom and I have been known to do the same - not because I'm stupid or not raised properly - but because I KNOW that I will spill on my front, no matter how careful I am, so the "bib" helps protect my clothes. I actually have a gold lame' bib given to me by a friend with the same problem.

Let's stop judging everyone for their perceived inadequacies - just lighten up and have a great time! :)

I myself was quite embarrassed while going to dinner ,while not the formal night.

At the advice of my wife " she read somewhere that shorts were OK ".

I was wearing a white collared shirt and dress shorts, black in color.

And the fellow at the door stated he could not allow me to enter wearing shorts. There were several men that were turned away that night, this was in Feb 08 . Of course I went to change while they seated my wife.

You know what? I don't understand why the way someone is dressed has an affect on someone else. Why the heck do you CARE what the other guys are wearing?

I dress up in the dining room because I LIKE to, but the guy next to me in shorts is not going to detract from my enjoyment of my dinner if he's wearing shorts.

Why be so judgmental of others? Poor self esteem? Control issues?

People follow the dress code and ignore those judgmental folks that think they need to control others. We could psychoanalyze that but really why bother? :D

Very well said!

And may I add one more thing...why does it matter since everyone is sitting down at a table with a table cloth. All we can see is what a person wears from the mid-chest up. And even then, we are so engrossed in conversations with table mates and our food that we don't care if anyone is wearing pants or shorts, sneakers or dress shoes.

Oh goodness! :eek:

I certainly wasn't expecting to warrant this much response or passion!

I can certainly understand wanting to dress nicer in the dining room, I think that's why they'll never do away with elegant night. But on casual nights, we're going to follow Carnival rules and I'm going to allow my husband to wear shorts. (Ha! As if I "allow" him to do anything. Pretty sure unless I said everyone was going to be in tuxes he would do what he wanted anyway!)

As I said in the OP, it's not so much about not wanting to wear long pants, it's about not wanting to wear uncomfortable shoes. The man's on vacation, and he's going to wear his nice shorts and sandals. There are 6 of us anyway, so I'm guessing none of you who have a huge problem with it will have to sit with us. :p

As I said in the OP, it's not so much about not wanting to wear long pants, it's about not wanting to wear uncomfortable shoes. The man's on vacation, and he's going to wear his nice shorts and sandals.

Bravo! This is the correct answer folks...

Carla is ok with it. It's her husband. And her opinion is the only one that should matter to him.

And it does not conflict with the dress code as written.

Very well said!

And may I add one more thing...why does it matter since everyone is sitting down at a table with a table cloth. All we can see is what a person wears from the mid-chest up. And even then, we are so engrossed in conversations with table mates and our food that we don't care if anyone is wearing pants or shorts, sneakers or dress shoes.

Excellent point, so we should be much more concerned on what they are wearing upstairs than in the basement :D

This thread kinda reminds me of my bff and I when we were bored at a bar (a kazillion years ago when I was young and clueless)

We'd sit there with our little number cards and rate guys as they walk in the door.

Maybe it can be a new red, white and blue game (do they still have those teams?)

People rated highest in the catagory for dress that night gets to give his team their ratings!!!!

Woo Hoo another classless games fer us hillbillies to play!!!!:p;)

Archived