RECENT Cruisers - Shorts in Dining Room

carla1183

The problem is - or was on my last cruise - that they turn NO ONE away - not even people in SHORT shorts, flip-flops, and baseball caps on Elegant Night. Does that make it appropriate dress just because they weren't turned away? Again, give people an inch, and they'll take a mile - not everyone, but enough.

And this harmed you in what way? It only affects you if you allow it to.

Well, seeing men with basketball shirts with their hair hanging out from their armpits at a dinner table on an Elegant Night is not exactly appetizing. I'm just a "rule follower." If we didn't have rules in our society, chaos would ensue. If everyone follows the "I can do what I want, don't have to follow any rules, and don't care about anyone else," where would that leave us? It's their choice, not mine. I just don't enjoy seeing armpit hair at a dinner table.

I never, never answer these threads, but I had a martini and I just feel like "what the hell". First...seriously, do people stand at the entrance and watch 1000 people come into the dining room to see what everyone is wearing....I may have a bit of fashion police in me, but a well groomed man in nice shorts gets the thumbs up from me...yes, some people SHOULD NOT wear shorts. And if you aren't standing at the entrance, how the heck do you know who's wearing shorts? Are you crawling under every table making a diary note? And really, I think it might be frowned on to crawl under the table unless you are 3 or in love. I could give a flying F who wears what. I am there to enjoy MY cruise and it's all about me when I'm cruising. Yeah, some people stretch the rules, but I don't know them, don't want to know them, and it sure as hell isn't going to ruin my cruise....Can I get an AMEN???

I never, never answer these threads, but I had a martini and I just feel like "what the hell". First...seriously, do people stand at the entrance and watch 1000 people come into the dining room to see what everyone is wearing....I may have a bit of fashion police in me, but a well groomed man in nice shorts gets the thumbs up from me...yes, some people SHOULD NOT wear shorts. And if you aren't standing at the entrance, how the heck do you know who's wearing shorts? Are you crawling under every table making a diary note? And really, I think it might be frowned on to crawl under the table unless you are 3 or in love. I could give a flying F who wears what. I am there to enjoy MY cruise and it's all about me when I'm cruising. Yeah, some people stretch the rules, but I don't know them, don't want to know them, and it sure as hell isn't going to ruin my cruise....Can I get an AMEN???

AMEN you are truely filled with the Carnival Spirit :D

I'm from Arizona and what constitutes "dress" and "casual" here are vastly different than what you'll find elsewhere - particularly in the east and northeast part of the country.

Good point. I'd say the same about tropical environments- the norms are going to be different, and most of the time that is the environment we are in when cruising.

I am so glad that I've been on two cruises because if I was new to cruising, I might be really anxious about people's attitudes and snobbery.

My mom taught me to mind my own business. I respect the norms established by the host- Carnival Cruise Lines, beyond that- live and let live!

i never, never answer these threads, but i had a martini and i just feel like "what the hell". First...seriously, do people stand at the entrance and watch 1000 people come into the dining room to see what everyone is wearing....i may have a bit of fashion police in me, but a well groomed man in nice shorts gets the thumbs up from me...yes, some people should not wear shorts. And if you aren't standing at the entrance, how the heck do you know who's wearing shorts? Are you crawling under every table making a diary note? And really, i think it might be frowned on to crawl under the table unless you are 3 or in love. I could give a flying f who wears what. I am there to enjoy my cruise and it's all about me when i'm cruising. Yeah, some people stretch the rules, but i don't know them, don't want to know them, and it sure as hell isn't going to ruin my cruise....can i get an amen???

amen

I have to agree with the statement of why does it matter? My first cruise isn't until August but honestly.... I could care less about what someone wears to the dinner table. It doesn't harm me in anyway.

Okay, I totally agree with most on this thread....I could care less what any one is wearing................................except..................the one poster who mentioned the armpit hair..................ewwwww........that might gross me out.................especially if its sweaty............and dripping...................................:eek:

I just read this whole thread......sigh......that's a good fifteen minutes of my life I'll never get back. But it was so worth it!! Great entertainment.

Put me on the side of those not being able to understand how people let how others dress affect them. Me personally, I like to dress up every night - don't really get the chance to do it at home. What the guy at the table next to me is wearing is of no concern to me. Hey, if he looks ridiculous enough our table could probably get a few laughs out of it (discreetly of course - don't really want to offend the guy!!).....no way in the world is it going to bother me or in any way ruin my dining experience.

And come on - I really don't even understand how anyone can argue about what is allowed or not allowed in the dining room. IT'S SPELLED OUT VERY CLEARLY! No one is breaking any rules by wearing shorts.

DH and I are getting ready for our first Carnival cruise in September. (2 Celebrity, 1 Princess). We are not snobs, but we like to dress up for dinner on the cruises. It just makes it feel special. No, it certainly doesn't hurt us if someone else is in shorts, but it does change our experience. If you had planned a beautiful, elegant wedding, and half of the guests showd up in jeans, it would not "hurt" anyone, but it would change the experience. When we watch the Acadamy Awards and everyone looks so amazing in their tuxedos and ball gowns, there is a certain "feel" there. If half the people were in jeans and tee shirts it would be different. When someone graduates everyone in the ceremony wears a cap and gown. If half the people chose not too, it would have a different "feel". DH and I will probably not make Carnival our number one choice of cruise line for this very reason. Not that we are snobs, but it is just really nice to be dressed up, and in a room full of others looking the same. Like we are all celebrating.

How about if everyone just lets this go and plays nice. Those who want everyone to dress up want it because it adds to their experience. It would be great if Carnival would have 2 dining rooms and designate a more formal dress code for one, and more casual for the other. Carnival... do you hear this?

I think its a shame that the cruise line has relaxed the dress code to even let it get this far.

I think there was two reasons for this. #1-Once the airlines started charging for checked bags, It got pretty expensive for people to have to pack suits, pants, etc. Suit coats take up a lot of room in a suitcase. Most people who are flying are trying to limit it to one suitcase. #2-the average carnival passenger is looking for a laid back relaxed vacation and for some people, dressing up every night is not relaxing. I don't think you can say that the clothes you wear determines how much class you have-the words that come out of your mouth will tell that story!

Pat

i never, never answer these threads, but i had a martini and i just feel like "what the hell". First...seriously, do people stand at the entrance and watch 1000 people come into the dining room to see what everyone is wearing....i may have a bit of fashion police in me, but a well groomed man in nice shorts gets the thumbs up from me...yes, some people should not wear shorts. And if you aren't standing at the entrance, how the heck do you know who's wearing shorts? Are you crawling under every table making a diary note? And really, i think it might be frowned on to crawl under the table unless you are 3 or in love. I could give a flying f who wears what. I am there to enjoy my cruise and it's all about me when i'm cruising. Yeah, some people stretch the rules, but i don't know them, don't want to know them, and it sure as hell isn't going to ruin my cruise....can i get an amen???

amen! Well said!

DH and I are getting ready for our first Carnival cruise in September. (2 Celebrity, 1 Princess). We are not snobs, but we like to dress up for dinner on the cruises.

Have fun dressing up... Great for you... not sure you will be back after this cruise though.... Carnival is NOT Celebrity or Princess and does not try to be.

It's allowed, but never OK. This is just to accommodate the hill people that are now cruising with the low fares, and they need to eat too.

MrPete, I like your answer. As they say "you can take people off the hill but you can't take the hill out of the people".:D

AMEN!

I think some are once again getting casual and elegant nite mixed up........All the people in my elegant nite photos look elegant........and that is all I care about;)

MrPete, I like your answer. As they say "you can take people off the hill but you can't take the hill out of the people".:D

Yeah we get it......people that wear shorts on casual nights are from the hills.....people that sign their kids up for camp carnival are using it JUST for babysitting, and if you say you are not cheap, you are cheap.......:rolleyes:

ROFLMAO!!!

You know what? I don't understand why the way someone is dressed has an affect on someone else. Why the heck do you CARE what the other guys are wearing?

I dress up in the dining room because I LIKE to, but the guy next to me in shorts is not going to detract from my enjoyment of my dinner if he's wearing shorts.

Why be so judgmental of others? Poor self esteem? Control issues?

People follow the dress code and ignore those judgmental folks that think they need to control others. We could psychoanalyze that but really why bother? :D

I couldn't have said it better myself!! Thanks..... just sitting here reading this crazy post and I'm actually laughing out loud at some of the "opinions" posted..... let's get real people.

Use common sense when dressing, treat everyone you meet respectfully, use those table manners your mother taught you and most of all ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!

DH has worn nice shorts on casual nights on our last 3 cruises, the change has been in place more than a year. Here's the official word from Carnival's website :

What to Wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

I really don't care what others wear but I'm confused I would like to make an informed decision when I pack.

Shorts for men are mentioned in both the Casual Dress Code and the Not permitted list. Which is it? Are shorts allowed or not. Or are only certain types of shorts allowed. Please help me understand this craziness. :confused:

I really don't care what others wear but I'm confused I would like to make an informed decision when I pack.

Shorts for men are mentioned in both the Casual Dress Code and the Not permitted list. Which is it? Are shorts allowed or not. Or are only certain types of shorts allowed. Please help me understand this craziness. :confused:

Gym & board type shorts are not....Dress shorts are.

Basketball shorts and gym shorts are not permitted.........dress shorts are.......

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Anyone can wear anything they want - dress code or not - and no one cares. Don't bother trying to figure out the "dress code." It isn't enforced as stated, so...just wear what you want. That's what many people do. Others, such as my DH and I, "dress up" because we enjoy it. Since we're from Florida and everyone is so casual here, we like the opportunity to wear some "fancy clothes" once in a while.

Archived