116 members have voted

1. 1. Which size ship do you prefer?

• Small (10,000 GRT to 35,000)
    • Mid-size (35,000 GRT to 70,000)
    • Big (70,000 GRT to 80,000)
    • Bigger (80,000 GRT to 100,000)
    • MEGA (100,000 GRT to 130,000)
    • SUPER SUPER MEGA (130,000 to ......)
    • I don't care, just get me on a ship with a view of the ocean!!!

:o Could someone enlighten me as to how many passengers per ton? And is that their weight before or after lobster night?:D
I don't think there's a standard ratio. Some ships have a higher passenger to GRT ratio than others. I don't have the numbers but I'd guess that the Caribbean Princess has a higher passenger ratio than the Grand and the Coral/Island has a lower passenger ratio than the Grand. To me, it's this passenger ratio that gives you the feeling of crowdedness or not.

I don't think there's a standard ratio. Some ships have a higher passenger to GRT ratio than others. I don't have the numbers but I'd guess that the Caribbean Princess has a higher passenger ratio than the Grand and the Coral/Island has a lower passenger ratio than the Grand. To me, it's this passenger ratio that gives you the feeling of crowdedness or not.
I agree there’s not standard of passengers per ton. That’s why ships with the same GRT will have a different passenger space ratio. Carnival’s 70000 GRT ships carry about 2300 people and so would have a passenger space ratio of about 31, whereas Regal Princess carries 1600 passengers for a space ratio of about 44.

A ship can seem crowded even with a high ratio – if the ship design is poor and passengers concentrate in only a few areas, it will seem much more crowded than if they are disbursed across the ship.

The poll was about how many people like a larger ship, to a smaller ship. (I mean the actual ship itself.) Passenger size is a very closely related subject. So if you want to vote on passenger size just post it below!;)
The give me the largest ship in the fleet but do not put more than 2000 passengers on it and not less than 1000 staff..

I personally don't put a lot of faith in the PSR (passenger space ratio). Some ships with a seemingly generous PSR have poor traffic flow, with various choke points.

PSRs usually only take into consideration dual occupancy passenger cabins.

Change that to full passenger load (including pullman berths and sofa beds) plus crew, and the PSR is greatly reduced.

That said, I still prefer ships in the 50,000/70,000 GRT range with 1500 or so PAX, although I do agree with BDJam that the Pacific Princess (new) with 684 PAX is a classy act.

We have only been on two cruises. The Coral Princess (about 1900 passengers) and the Navigator of the Seas (about 3000 passengers). While we enjoyed both, the Coral was our favorite. There were more seating areas just to sit and talk. We never really felt like there were so many people so crowds were not really an issue for us. In October we will be doing the NB New England on the Sea Princess.

Ron

I am not a fan of huge ships.. Mariner of the Seas was okay but a little too huge...

but the space ratio is important and for my money, I think my fav still remains Crown/Regal Princess of the 90's... at least to me they seemed so very spacious and hard to believe there were 1590 pax aboard!!!

Archived