Recommended Camera Equipment

gazoo_

I was curious as to what people would recommend to take with them. I own the following:

1) Canon SD 700 IS (small digital still camera, nice shots, very portable)

2) Canon Rebel XT DSLR (interchangeable lens, etc.)

3) Aiptek 1080P SD card VIDEO camera

I wanted to take them all, but I don't seriously think I'll get to use them all. I definitely don't want to carry everything and my family just won't help.

My initial thought was just to bring the Canon SD and the hell with it all but I was curious to see what others have done.

Any input would help...

Thank you..

I own the following:

Carry 1 and 2.

1 is handy at meal-times, as a 'table-camera' which you can whip out for shots in the dining room.

I miss my little Nikon P50 and may buy another.

2 you'll use around the ship and when you go ashore in decent weather

(for inclement weather, leave 2 in the cabin safe and walk with 1)

You'll need wiiide-angle lens to make best use of 2 for interior and deck shots.

Consider the Sigma 10-20 mm. zoom I have.

208230076_Sigma--10-20mm_lens.jpg.3dfa7c342896280812e88df7721a6bf7.jpg

I would take them all.

The SD is small and can take pictures and videos. A good camera to always keep in your pocket even when you think you won't need a camera. However I would NOT take it to the dinning room. Using flash photography in the main dinning room to take a picture of your plate is rude and ranks up there with wearing jeans on formal nights.

The XT will give you the best pictures in almost every situation and you can open up the f stop and crank up the ISO to get a great picture of your dinner plate without the flash exposing yourself as a rube.

The Aiptek is quite small and the HD video will blow away the movies from your SD. It will be good to show your friends the waves if you catch a storm or of some activity during a shore excursion.

If you still want to leave a camera at home:

It depends on what you want to do. Do you consider yourself a photographer or do you just take some snapshots when the mood hits you?

If you are a photographer and enjoy taking pictures than the Xt goes on the cruise without question and you can leave the others at home. I'd still sneak in the SD just because it is so small.

If you snap a quick picture now and then but are not into the photography hobby I would take the SD and Aiptek. The Xt and it's lenses and charger are bigger and heavier than the other two cameras combined.

--

I enjoy photography and I post, review and use my photographs over the years so I lug the big camera and lenses. Videos get shown to friends once when we get home and are never seen again so I have never felt the need to take a video camera on a cruise. My little SD does well enough for video and I carry it as a back-up.

I was curious as to what people would recommend to take with them. I own the following:

I wanted to take them all, but I don't seriously think I'll get to use them all. I definitely don't want to carry everything and my family just won't help.

My initial thought was just to bring the Canon SD and the hell with it all but I was curious to see what others have done.

Any input would help...

Thank you..

I have to agree with Aplmac, 1 & 2 make a good combo.

I travel with a Canon SD800 compact and a Sony DSLR with two or three lenses. I use the Canon as a 24x7 camera and use the DSLR for touring the ship and on shore excursions. I also use the SD800 for what little video I may shoot (personal choice...not a big video fan).

Have fun, take your pictures and if the family won't help, don't let them see the photos! :D

Dave

Thanks for all the great posts. I'm still undecided but I am leaning towards taking both still cameras at least. The problem is, I am going to be in the action with the whole family so it will be hard to do anything with the larger camera. If I was traveling with a big group of people, the answer would easily be all three cameras because some others could help out. Also, there may be some water related stuff and the DSLR won't fare so well.

I'll post again when I decide..it could help someone else.

However I would NOT take it to the dinning room. Using flash photography in the main dinning room to take a picture of your plate is rude and ranks up there with wearing jeans on formal nights.

I wouldn't worry about it. There are usually ships photog's taking hundreds of pictures.

What's a couple more flashes? Just don't get carried away.

(And I always dress appropriately for formal nights.)

Bodger

Having carted all sorts of camera's around.. I'm currently planning to go on an Antarctic cruise with a small hd vid camera.. and a pocker p&s.

Our Ixus 870 has seen a lot of use when travelling but the DSLR and all it's Paraphenalia is not worth the reward for effort.

I mean how many of you actually print up those raw pics and hang 'em on the wall..;)

Archived