Just back from my 4th solo cruise

BluesCruise

I'm convinced...this is the best way for me to travel. I had a blast in Alaska, met a lot of interesting people, had "me" time when I wanted it, and did everything that I wanted to do. I spent a total of 45 minutes shopping for souvenirs, because I hate shopping, but I couldn't come back empty-handed. I was brave and adventurous on my excursions, and didn't have to compromise. I had wonderful tablemates, made friends playing trivia and boardgames, and I was always able to find a seat or space "for 1" with no problem.

The only negative was that I missed my dog, but I went dogsledding and those working dogs like to have their ears scratched, too!

If you haven't cruised solo yet, just do it!

I'm convinced...this is the best way for me to travel. I had a blast in Alaska, met a lot of interesting people, had "me" time when I wanted it, and did everything that I wanted to do. I spent a total of 45 minutes shopping for souvenirs, because I hate shopping, but I couldn't come back empty-handed. I was brave and adventurous on my excursions, and didn't have to compromise. I had wonderful tablemates, made friends playing trivia and boardgames, and I was always able to find a seat or space "for 1" with no problem.

The only negative was that I missed my dog, but I went dogsledding and those working dogs like to have their ears scratched, too!

If you haven't cruised solo yet, just do it!

Hi Tami:) Glad you had such a wonderful time. I see you

went on Mercury:DI am sailing her for the 7th time in September!

I never bring back souveniers;)..its not my thing.

I should say I try to bring back 1 thing... I have a co-worker

who has been a friend as well (we have worked in the same

office for almost 20 years) and she collects shot glasses. That

is the one small item I try to get...and maybe a new t-shirt

for moi:D

But I am not a shopper. So its not something I do on a cruise.

Couple of questions, who was your waiter? I know so many

of the wait and bar staff on Mercury. She is my favorite ship!:)

She is the perfect size ship (for me anyway), I am guessing you agree?:)

Hi Lois, I agree about the size of the ship. I haven't sailed on one of the megaships yet, and I'd rather stick to the small ones, where I can run into the same people again and again. I had sailed on Mercury's sister ship, Galaxy, several years ago, and it took me no time at all to get familiar with the layout this time. I used to have a recurring nightmare of being lost on a cruise ship, unable to find my way back to my cabin. That never happened on Mercury!

I hate shopping, but there are a few friends and family who get shot glasses, golf balls, spoon rests, etc., and my coworkers got some Alaskan Wild Huckleberry Taffy. I had told one special coworker, jokingly, that I would bring him back some bear scat, and when I saw a bag of "Bear Poop", which was actually chocolate covered nuts, I had to get it for him, LOL.

Our waiter was Poltak, and his assistant was Ryan. Our assistant Maitre D' was Nengah. I also spent some time with Elman and Charlotte on the activities staff. Charlotte and I played Scrabble a few times when she had a break here and there during the cruise. The staff was really great.

Archived