New England/Canada shore activities

Yochell

Hi. I'm new to this board, so I apologize if this has already been answered. But I'm having trouble finding answers, so I thought I'd start this way.

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time to New England and Canada in August. I would like to know if it is possible to arrange our own 'shore excursions' once we get to each port. We are not ones to join large guided groups on tours. The ports we will be visiting are:

Newport, RI

Boston, MA

Bar Harbor, ME

Saint Johns

Halifax

Will we be able to arrange activities ourselves once we get into each of these towns? If so, how do we go about doing that, and are the docks close enough to walk to the activities, or will we need to take a bus/taxi?

I know I'm asking for alot, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I'm hoping one of you kind cruise critics will be willing to help!

Thanks in advance!

This almost seems as if you are asking someone here to be your TA. You can figure all this out on your own. You certainly can plan your own excursions and you should do so in advance.

Start doing some research on your ports. There is a Ports of Call section here on this webpage. You can search also on tripadvisor which is full of information. Purchasing a guidebook or two is helpful, or check them out of the library. Frommers, Foders, etc. are online. Find out what's available and what you are interested in and then go from there.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was looking for someone to plan my trip. I am not trying to find a TA. I am just feeling overwhelmed trying to plan and just wanted to know where to start, and if it was even possible to do on my own without booking group shore excursions through the cruise line. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into the other forum pages and guidebooks. Thanks again.

There is no reason you cannot plan your own shore trips

check out the Ports & Ports of Call forum

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=7

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Also join the Roll call for you sailing you may find other to share a private tour and keep the costs down

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Just find the ship & then the date you are sailing

Just got back from St. Johns last week. Did a wonderful private tour with shoretrips. Our guide got us to the sea caves because they knew the tide schedule and did the tour in reverse to get us there. Our 2 vans were the only ones to get in the caves that day because the tide came in a few minutes after we got there and got in. the tide was up by the time the ship's excursion busses got there.

Yochell - to answer your question - you can book your own shore excursions at all of the ports you mentioned. And, it can be overwhelming! We used to be very hesitant about going off on our own but on our last few cruises we have booked independently and have had great excursions.We do join the roll call for the ship we are sailing on and often go on independent excursions with them. There are usually plenty of vendors selling independent tours at every port you stop at.

As some of the others have said, check out the Ports of Call forum.

You might want to post your questions over on the Port of Call forum. Have a great time planning.

Jeal, thanks for understanding how I'm feeling. I will check the other forums. I just want to be sure that if we wait until we get into each port, there will still be tours available. I don't want to get there and find we are too late to sightsee. Like I mentioned in my first post, this website is new to me. I have to make the time to check it out better. Who knows - all my answers might just be a click away in another post. Thanks again.

Hi. I'm new to this board, so I apologize if this has already been answered. But I'm having trouble finding answers, so I thought I'd start this way.

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time to New England and Canada in August. I would like to know if it is possible to arrange our own 'shore excursions' once we get to each port. We are not ones to join large guided groups on tours. The ports we will be visiting are:

Newport, RI

Boston, MA

Bar Harbor, ME

Saint Johns

Halifax

Will we be able to arrange activities ourselves once we get into each of these towns? If so, how do we go about doing that, and are the docks close enough to walk to the activities, or will we need to take a bus/taxi?

I know I'm asking for alot, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I'm hoping one of you kind cruise critics will be willing to help!

Thanks in advance!

Hello Yochell,

Even if you are not interested in the excursions the ship offers at least take a look at them to get an idea of things that may appeal to you at each port. Once you've established the specific excursions that are of interest you can refine your search through the internet or the various Port of Call boards at Cruise Critic.

A simple Google search of each of your locations will bring up dozens of tourist sites with loads of information. As the above posters have recommended by scrolling the Ports section at Cruise Critic you will learn tons of information.

We cruised to Canada/New England a few years ago here are some tips.

Bar Harbor: Explore Acadia National Park and get to the top of Cadillac Mountain for a stunning view of Maine. Bar Harbor is a fun town to stroll around with dozens of shops, restaurants and places to browse and if you are a fan of lobster flavored ice cream they sell it here.

Halifax: is a beautiful city, from the cruise dock you can easily walk to the Maritime Atlantic Museum to see the famous Titanic Exhibit. I believe the museum might be closed during your visit.

Also in Halifax the massive Citadel Fort is an impressive and interesting place to explore. If you enjoy walking around cities there is a wonderful, European atmosphere in Halifax, it reminds me of London. Some people make a point of visiting Peggy's Cove a small sea side village about an hour or less away.

Boston: is a great town take a cab from the port and walk the Freedom Trail. Walk through the park and take a ride on a swan boat, or see if there is a hop on hop off bus tour. Beacon Hill, Boylston Street, there are many stores and great restaurants and beautiful old buildings. Pick up a guide book and peruse the interesting sights.

There's nothing more fun than planning a trip, it makes seeing these places so much more special when you've read and studied about them first.

Jonathan

Newport, RI

Boston, MA

Bar Harbor, ME

Saint Johns

Halifax

Thanks in advance!

You can definitely do things on your own. For Boston you might want to catch a cab and head for Boston Common. There, you can go to the information booth and sign up for a paid Freedom Trail Excursion with a costumed guide. I've done the tour 3x over a 3 year period with friends and family members and it's a wonderful way to learn a bit of American history and a great introduction to Boston. Be prepared for lots of walking on cobblestone streets and up and down hills. Boston is a very walkable city. After you've finished exploring simply grab another cab and head back to the port. The port is NOT within walking distance of the Common.

For Newport you have a couple of options. You can simply spend your time by the waterside strolling the streets and shopping in dozens of stores. Bowen's Wharf has lots of unique shops like Scrimshanders which has both real and imitation scrimshaw for sale. It's a must see for me every time I visit (and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, shape or form). There's lots of great restaurants to eat at as well, such as the Cheeky Monkey (I love the name, but have never eaten there), Christie's (a bit expensive, but you've got to try the "Stuffies" which are stuffed "quahogs" (pronounced "ko-hogs") and are a type of clam) or the Red Parrot (reasonably priced; I've eaten there many times and the food has always been wonderful, especially the lobster bisque).

Another option is to catch a cab and go to one (or more!) of the Newport Mansions. Each one also has a gift shop attached where you can find books, Christmas ornaments and other great souvenirs for your trip. There's also a Newport Mansion store at the wharves (might be Bowen's, but I forget at the moment).

Lastly, if you want to get a bit more exercise you could do the Cliffwalk, but you will need to make sure you have the telephone number for a cab service because the outlets are in residential areas and you won't find cabs just sitting there. That said, if the weather is nice it is a wonderful excursion that takes you along the back of the Newport mansions (you cannot access the mansions from Cliffwalk nor can you access Cliffwalk from the mansions) along the edge of the ocean. Parts of it are rough, parts are nicely paved. But if you're looking for something a bit different (and FREE!), then this could also be an option for you.

When I first moved to New England three years ago I couldn't get enough of Newport. It's probably my favorite city here (and I work in Boston).

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you wear comfortable shoes and wear sunblock. If it's hot and humid outside (which it usually is in August) you'll also need a hat. But come with your camera and a sense of adventure and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time!

Theresa

Hello Yochell,

Even if you are not interested in the excursions the ship offers at least take a look at them to get an idea of things that may appeal to you at each port. Once you've established the specific excursions that are of interest you can refine your search through the internet or the various Port of Call boards at Cruise Critic.

A simple Google search of each of your locations will bring up dozens of tourist sites with loads of information. As the above posters have recommended by scrolling the Ports section at Cruise Critic you will learn tons of information.

We cruised to Canada/New England a few years ago here are some tips.

Bar Harbor: Explore Acadia National Park and get to the top of Cadillac Mountain for a stunning view of Maine. Bar Harbor is a fun town to stroll around with dozens of shops, restaurants and places to browse and if you are a fan of lobster flavored ice cream they sell it here.

Halifax: is a beautiful city, from the cruise dock you can easily walk to the Maritime Atlantic Museum to see the famous Titanic Exhibit. I believe the museum might be closed during your visit.

Also in Halifax the massive Citadel Fort is an impressive and interesting place to explore. If you enjoy walking around cities there is a wonderful, European atmosphere in Halifax, it reminds me of London. Some people make a point of visiting Peggy's Cove a small sea side village about an hour or less away.

Boston: is a great town take a cab from the port and walk the Freedom Trail. Walk through the park and take a ride on a swan boat, or see if there is a hop on hop off bus tour. Beacon Hill, Boylston Street, there are many stores and great restaurants and beautiful old buildings. Pick up a guide book and peruse the interesting sights.

There's nothing more fun than planning a trip, it makes seeing these places so much more special when you've read and studied about them first.

Jonathan

Hi cruiserking, thanks for the great tips. I can't wait to research my options! Chelle

You can definitely do things on your own. For Boston you might want to catch a cab and head for Boston Common. There, you can go to the information booth and sign up for a paid Freedom Trail Excursion with a costumed guide. I've done the tour 3x over a 3 year period with friends and family members and it's a wonderful way to learn a bit of American history and a great introduction to Boston. Be prepared for lots of walking on cobblestone streets and up and down hills. Boston is a very walkable city. After you've finished exploring simply grab another cab and head back to the port. The port is NOT within walking distance of the Common.

For Newport you have a couple of options. You can simply spend your time by the waterside strolling the streets and shopping in dozens of stores. Bowen's Wharf has lots of unique shops like Scrimshanders which has both real and imitation scrimshaw for sale. It's a must see for me every time I visit (and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, shape or form). There's lots of great restaurants to eat at as well, such as the Cheeky Monkey (I love the name, but have never eaten there), Christie's (a bit expensive, but you've got to try the "Stuffies" which are stuffed "quahogs" (pronounced "ko-hogs") and are a type of clam) or the Red Parrot (reasonably priced; I've eaten there many times and the food has always been wonderful, especially the lobster bisque).

Another option is to catch a cab and go to one (or more!) of the Newport Mansions. Each one also has a gift shop attached where you can find books, Christmas ornaments and other great souvenirs for your trip. There's also a Newport Mansion store at the wharves (might be Bowen's, but I forget at the moment).

Lastly, if you want to get a bit more exercise you could do the Cliffwalk, but you will need to make sure you have the telephone number for a cab service because the outlets are in residential areas and you won't find cabs just sitting there. That said, if the weather is nice it is a wonderful excursion that takes you along the back of the Newport mansions (you cannot access the mansions from Cliffwalk nor can you access Cliffwalk from the mansions) along the edge of the ocean. Parts of it are rough, parts are nicely paved. But if you're looking for something a bit different (and FREE!), then this could also be an option for you.

When I first moved to New England three years ago I couldn't get enough of Newport. It's probably my favorite city here (and I work in Boston).

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you wear comfortable shoes and wear sunblock. If it's hot and humid outside (which it usually is in August) you'll also need a hat. But come with your camera and a sense of adventure and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time!

Theresa

Hi Teeara, thanks for the great information. Now I know how I will be spending tomorrow - checking out my options and making my plans! Thanks again! Chelle

Halifax: we loved Peggy's Cove. You can do this on your own, but it is about an hour or so outside of Halifax. Very well worth it.

St. John: hired a local cabbie and he toured us around for 90 minutes, covering the hilights of the city & the reversing rapids. Very knowledgeable about this fantastic city. Afterwards, he dropped us off in the centre of town and we meandered our way back to the cruise ship terminal.

I totally agree with Teeara about Boston & Newport - Newport was a fantastic place, and simply wandering around was fun in itself. And the Boston Common is a great walk.

Just got back from St. Johns last week. Did a wonderful private tour with shoretrips. Our guide got us to the sea caves because they knew the tide schedule and did the tour in reverse to get us there. Our 2 vans were the only ones to get in the caves that day because the tide came in a few minutes after we got there and got in. the tide was up by the time the ship's excursion busses got there.

St. John's is in the province of Newfoundland. You were in Saint John, New Brunswick------a very common and sometimes very costly mixup.

Halifax: we loved Peggy's Cove. You can do this on your own, but it is about an hour or so outside of Halifax. Very well worth it.

St. John: hired a local cabbie and he toured us around for 90 minutes, covering the hilights of the city & the reversing rapids. Very knowledgeable about this fantastic city. Afterwards, he dropped us off in the centre of town and we meandered our way back to the cruise ship terminal.

I totally agree with Teeara about Boston & Newport - Newport was a fantastic place, and simply wandering around was fun in itself. And the Boston Common is a great walk.

And I absolutely fell in love with Vancouver last year on my Alaska cruise, Aaron. Beautiful city. We want to take a longer vacation there in the future.

St. John's is in the province of Newfoundland. You were in Saint John, New Brunswick------a very common and sometimes very costly mixup.

Before I got to your comment I was thinking the same thing. People should really make sure they are careful to not say St. Johns because that can confuse people. And you are right, could be very costly if they set up an excursion in the wrong province.

I suggest either leave off the "s" (St. John) as you are talking about New Brunswick OR to actually write it as Saint John (as it should be written)

Yochell, You will love Newport, I have lived in New Englandmy whole life, and there is no place like Newport. It is by all means my favorite place on Earth, besides St. Thomas. The Cliff Walk is a nice walk, and Easton's Beach great. The Mansions are beautiful to look at, a litte pricey for the tours. Brentons Point is along the shore drive-great area to fly kites or relax for a little while. There are 3 wheeled bicycles motorized that can be rented, it is a great way to get around. again, pricey. Restaurants all around. Nicholas pizza is great---- and Brick Alley Pub has a good salad bar, and sandwiches plus full menu and bar. It is a very popular place, and tends to get crowed. If I recall correctly, when you get the boat to the dock, there is a tourism building about a block to the left, and there is a trolley system that makes stops in Newport, pretty resonable. Whatever you do in Newport, I am sure you will love it, and I will be jealous beacuse I will be sitting at work,thinking of Newport.

Before I got to your comment I was thinking the same thing. People should really make sure they are careful to not say St. Johns because that can confuse people. And you are right, could be very costly if they set up an excursion in the wrong province.

I suggest either leave off the "s" (St. John) as you are talking about New Brunswick OR to actually write it as Saint John (as it should be written)

The name was officially changed to spell out the "saint" a number of years ago to try to reduce the confusion.

Archived