How Popular Are Alaskan Cruises?

I was always under the impression that Alaskan cruises were sought after and popular, like a TA or repositioning. I always thought it was book early while the cabins last. On my upcoming Alaskan cruise there are still several cabins available in all catagories including an OS, several GS's, several JS's, and the list goes on. It just seems like the cabins aren't moving that quickly.

Alaska is fabulous -- magical -- the BEST cruise there is in my view. And I avoided it for years before finally taking the plunge. It sounded boring compared to Caribbean, etc.

I see you are sailing on Rhapsody -- terrific ship, gorgeous, the perfect size -- and great crew. I wish my upcoming cruise was Rhapsody to Alaska instead of to the hot Caribbean on a behemoth ship in July but that's what the family wanted to do.

The problem is not Alaska -- it's the economy and ships have been sailing with fewer passengers since last fall, per RCI's corporate office. Swine flu has not helped lately, either.

You will have a wonderful time in Alaska. Trust me -- it's gorgeous.

I was always under the impression that Alaskan cruises were sought after and popular, like a TA or repositioning. I always thought it was book early while the cabins last. On my upcoming Alaskan cruise there are still several cabins available in all catagories including an OS, several GS's, several JS's, and the list goes on. It just seems like the cabins aren't moving that quickly.

Alaska is fabulous -- magical -- the BEST cruise there is in my view. And I avoided it for years before finally taking the plunge. It sounded boring compared to Caribbean, etc.

I see you are sailing on Rhapsody -- terrific ship, gorgeous, the perfect size -- and great crew. I wish my upcoming cruise was Rhapsody to Alaska instead of to the hot Caribbean on a behemoth ship in July but that's what the family wanted to do.

The problem is not Alaska -- it's the economy and ships have been sailing with fewer passengers since last fall, per RCI's corporate office. Swine flu has not helped lately, either.

You will have a wonderful time in Alaska. Trust me -- it's gorgeous.

Wow...Thanks for pick me up. The Caribbean started getting a little old so I thought it was time to branch out a little.

On others reviews they rave about the crew on Rhapsody.

Hi all!

I'd say they're pretty popular. I was never interested in going on one myself until I started reading the Boards & seeing the beautiful pictures.

My sometime travel partner wants to go there so I will. Cold places never really interested me but beautiful scenery & wildlife do.:D

I know 4 people whose first cruise was to Alaska & one person who has gone 17 times!!

~Jo~ :)

i dont think i have ever heard of anyone who went on an alaskan cruise and didnt love it and want to go back- have a great time!

We went to Alaska once. That was enough.

Extremely boring. Nice train in Skagway though.

We have gone twice already and would go again if it wasn't such a long flight from the east coast to the west.

It isn't always cold at all, it just isn't warm like the Carribbean. On our first cruise to Alaska it was cool and rainy and then cold at the glacier. On our cruise to Alaska last year, people were actually in shorts. It started off very foggy but ended up wonderful weather. So it can vary but the scenery never disappoints.

Go, enjoy and tell us all about when you return.

Last summer we went on the Serenade of the Seas to Alaska, had an OS. We booked about 6 weeks from the sail date, 'last minute' for us. We all had a wonderful time. This was our teen son's (16) first 7 day cruise...he was hooked into cruising. As others have said, the scenary is incredible. We booked a whale watching tour with Harv 'n Marv. Rented a car in Skagway and explored on our own. What a special trip, I'd love to go back one day!

We flew into Vancouver (from LAX) a week before the cruise. Stayed half the week in Vancouver and half the week in Whistler, Canada. We took the Mountaineer train from Vancouver to Whistler. Pricey, but what a train ride...pampered with breakfast, champagne with wonderful hosts who explained the history of what we were viewing. Whistler itself was gorgeous, charming, and so many, many trails for biking, walking. Played a round of golf surrounded by those beautiful green mountains.

Go for it!!!:D

. . . Extremely boring. Nice train in Skagway though.

Once again proving "different strokes for different folks" Not only were our AK vacations (cruise and land) among our favorite vactions, but about the only thing I really didn't care for was the train ride in Skagway! :D

We've never done a carribean cruise, but from what I've read it is considerably different than AK, HI, S.America, European itineraries. So be certain to go with an open mind.

I, for one, would love to be on an AK cruise right now!

Archived