Formatting Memory Cards

genki

What is the benefit of low level formatting? Does it affect the number or quality of pictures taken? Is there a general preference for standard formatting or low level formatting?

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts, suggestions and/or comments!

Lisa (^:^)

I do not understand your question. What is low level formatting? What do you mean about standard formatting?

I think what NC-17 means is ALWAYS format your memory card in the camera.

Look at your menu in your camera's LCD screen, go to format your card and do so there in the camera.

The best advice is: Read your manual!!! on how to format your particular card.

JimmyJames

Thank you for your quick responses!

I have read my camera manual, and I always format memory cards on my camera - thank you for checking!

The only thing the manual says about low level formatting is that is could be helpful for continuous shooting. It doesn't really go into it further than that, which is why I though I'd ask here.

My guess is, when in doubt, don't do it! Just go with the standard formatting.

But if anyone else has any additional comments, I'd be grateful to hear them!

I have read my camera manual, and I always format memory cards on my camera - thank you for checking!

The only thing the manual says about low level formatting is that is could be helpful for continuous shooting. It doesn't really go into it further than that, which is why I though I'd ask here.

What is your camera you are using?

JimmyJames

A regular format (quick) deletes the content of the file allocation table (FAT) which tells the requesting software where each file is located in storage. The files are still there, but it appears that the disk is empty. Any new data being written will simply write over the old files and the location of the new file will be stored in the FAT. This is why disk utilities can recover files from a formatted card if you haven't used it after formatting. This is the type of format that cameras do from the setup menu.

Low-level formatting is a term that gets used inappropriately since it refers to the process of laying down sectors on a bare disk and recording their locations for the disk controller to reference. New hard disks and flash drives have the sector data embedded in the controller and no longer need to be low-level formatted.

Nowadays, "Low-level formatting" of a disk or flash card usually refers to the "wiping" process done on a PC during a full format or on a flash card by utilities like RescuePro. This process writes and erases data to each sector on the drive and leaves no recoverable file records. After a wipe (full format), a hard drive is formatted with whatever file system you chose or the default if you didn't choose. This is why you typically don't recommend for people to format cards on a PC. If the default file system is NTFS instead of FAT16 or FAT32, it will be unreadable and you will need to reformat it in the camera anyway. After wiping a card with a utility, it has no format and is unreadable but placing a wiped card into the camera triggers an automatic formatting of the card (some cameras will prompt you) and it is ready to go. Formatting a card with a card reader on your PC won't hurt it, but it's just as easy to format it in the camera and you can be sure that the camera is using the right file system.

In general practice, you should never really need to wipe a card unless it has become corrupted and needs to be re-initialized (not always a 100% fix). Just pop the cards back into the camera after downloading and format them there. Quick and easy.

Note: Wiping a card before selling it or giving it away might be a good idea if you have taken photos that you don't want to "share". A co-worker of mine bought some used cards off of Ebay (despite my warnings about fraud and counterfeiting) and when one got corrupted, he found more than his own files with the rescue utility. Let's just say that the previous owner was very proud of his lady's successful plastic surgery!:eek:

Dave

.... Let's just say that the previous owner was very proud of his lady's successful plastic surgery!:eek:

Dave

Makes me almost want to go out and buy some too good to be true cards from Ebay :D

I am guessing that the logic for doing a low level format is that the file can be written as 1 continuous file instead of having to put pieces of it in different locations. This could save some processing time but I do not think that there should be much difference with memory cards which are solid state devices.

With real hard drives, you need to defrag them on occasion to keep them from slowing down and to make it easier to recover from drive problems. This may be origin of the statement that you are quoting.

That said, except for the fact that if you do a low level format, you will not be able to recover any files that you accidentally erased, I can see what harm doing a low level format will do. I may be wrong in this, however.

Hope this helps.

DON

I had never seen 'low level formatting' in a camera until a few days ago. I helped a neighbour purchase a Canon SD880 that she had her eyes on. It has both formatting and low level formatting as options. So I suspect the OP has a Canon.

Standard formatting would be the one to use most of the time. Low level formatting should be used to erase those private photos or if the card has shown any signs of being a little flaky.

Bodger

Wow! I have learned a lot!

Yes, I happen to be using a Canon PowerShot A630, and it allows to you select a low level formatting option - which I think I will give a miss!

Thank you all so much!

Archived