How did that gash get there?

Travelight

We debarked from Veendam on May 31 in Vancouver. As we were standing in line to go through customs, I looked out the window to my left and saw this huge gash in the starboard bow. A raft of men were approaching it with what looked like measuring devices. I wish I had taken a better picture, but the line was then moving. No one else seemed to notice it. I guess it was "no big deal," but it kind of made me think of Titanic:eek:

2946092980101542478S600x600Q85.jpg

We debarked from Veendam on May 31 in Vancouver. As we were standing in line to go through customs, I looked out the window to my left and saw this huge gash in the starboard bow. A raft of men were approaching it with what looked like measuring devices. I wish I had taken a better picture, but the line was then moving. No one else seemed to notice it. I guess it was "no big deal," but it kind of made me think of Titanic:eek:

2946092980101542478S600x600Q85.jpg

Whale with a can-opener. :D

I don't know how long it takes rust to form, but it looks like the gash could have been there for a while. Any one know about these things? Wouldn't people on board feel something if a ship hit a pier, or whatever, hard enough to cause that kind of damage?

The Veendam hit the locks in the Panama canal after their dry dock (on the "cruise from hell" lol). It was one more thing in a series of mishaps on that cruise. We have pictures of the gash, if anyone is interested.

PS It was the panama canal pilot,not our captain who was in charge at the time.

In WWII, a young officer brought his 1st command into port and hit the dock rather hard. Much of the fleet was in including an Admiral:o

Nervously he waited, and the radioman brought a message from the Adm. It said "Good".

Thinking he had been looking the other way, the young officer took a shower. When he finished, the radioman brought a 2nd message from the Adm. it said "God".:eek:

The Veendam hit the locks in the Panama canal after their dry dock (on the "cruise from hell" lol). It was one more thing in a series of mishaps on that cruise.

Perhaps poor old Veendam was feeling suicidal?

The Veendam hit the locks in the Panama canal after their dry dock (on the "cruise from hell" lol). It was one more thing in a series of mishaps on that cruise. We have pictures of the gash, if anyone is interested.

Please post your pictures.

Thank you.

I don't know how long it takes rust to form, but it looks like the gash could have been there for a while. Any one know about these things? Wouldn't people on board feel something if a ship hit a pier, or whatever, hard enough to cause that kind of damage?

In the UK the term gash would infer a hole of some kind, does it mean the same in the USA? I only ask as from the picture it looks more like a dent than a hole. If it was a hole I do not think they could have sailed for long without repairs especially if it happened in the Panama Canal.

From the image that is above it appears to me that the "gash" is along one of the welded seams where the hull plates meet up - the rust along the edge could mean that the weld was cracked for some period of time and was rusting and the impact with the side of the canal lock broke it open the rest of the way. Remember the Titanic sinking was really the result of bad welds opening up when the ship hit the iceberg.

Remember the Titanic sinking was really the result of bad welds opening up when the ship hit the iceberg.
That's still being debated. Some experts contend it was possibly brittle steel plates that cracked.

Sorry, but back in the days of Titanic, there were no such things as welded plates use in shipbuilding. The steel plates were "hot rivited" and speculation has been that some of those rivets popped when she hit the iceberg.:)

Sorry, but back in the days of Titanic, there were no such things as welded plates use in shipbuilding. The steel plates were "hot rivited" and speculation has been that some of those rivets popped when she hit the iceberg.:)

There was a special a while back, I forget which of the Nat Geo/History/etc type channels it was, but they suggested that the rivets were of a poorer quality than those intended and that it might have partially led to the ship going down.

It also followed the aftermath, including the trial of White Star Line's CEO at the time and what/if any role he played in the negligence and speed.

They usually pop up on numerous channels each April for the anniversary.

Archived