Jewel of the Seas Grand Suite #1600 - opinions please

We have a courtesy hold on Grand Suite #1600 on the Jewel of the Seas (I assume the other Radiance class ships have the same room).

Are there any obstructed views from being on the corner on the back? Since it's not near the other Grand Suites, we were curious as to it's location and if you thought there was anything "wrong" with it.

We welcome your opinions/thought!

None of Radiance class aft cabins have any obstuction....it IS a LOOOONG walk back and forth to those cabins....long hallways and no other passenger stairs, but it will be quiet back there. And, your balcony---large enough for a party!

Enjoy!

Just got back from a cruise on Jewel's sister Serenade, in GS 1600

It's an oddly shaped room - you have a little corridor leading from the door into the room itself.

One of my roommates (there were 3 of us in 1600) had cruised in a GS before and told us that we had less closet space than in other GS's. But for two people, it probably would've been less of an issue.

The bathroom was enormous compared to the bathrooms I've had in my previous inside cabins. Bathtub (very high), two sinks. Actually, I think the bathroom may have been only slightly smaller than some of my inside cabins! :D

The balcony is big enough for two chairs, two loungers, and a small square table, with still plenty of room to move around. The views (especially on glacier day) were amazing.

If you follow the link in my signature to Shutterfly, my Serenade album does contain pictures I took of the cabin.

4 of us --all women--stayed in Jewel 1600 on a trans atlantic in Sept. We had "doable" storage. The sofa bed was a trip tho--more like a futon & so we got a roll away & had plenty of room.

I have now sailed only twice ( GS & D1) on RAdiance class & here is my observation--- cabins I was in do not have the storage space that other ship classes do. Anyone else have that same observation?

Thanks, all, for your input. Sounds like there is nothing "wrong" with that cabin. It will only be 2 of us and we have never had an issue with closet space/storage.

Also - it looks like there are 3 banks of stairs, according to the deck plans. Only 2 banks of elevators, but looks like there are stairs in the back. The "back" stairs aren't that far from the back of the ship. Can anyone tell me if those stairs are open to the public? or hidden and for crew only? Obviously we've never cruise on a Radiance class ship.

I'm comparing it to the walk we took in February on Celebrity's Solstice. That was a looooonnnnnnngggggg walk. We had an aft cabin and it took forever to get to our room. The Solstice class of ships were built with only 2 banks of stairs/elevators.

We don't mind the walk. We only use stairs while on a cruise, anyway. Helps to keep any weight gain from happening! :D

Thanks again,

Nick & Barb

CB at Sea....I just realized you said in your post that there is "no passenger" stairs in the back. You answered my question.

We were more concerned about the room size, view and noise. Looks like we should be good on all of those.

Take care!

Nick & Barb

4 of us --all women--stayed in Jewel 1600 on a trans atlantic in Sept. We had "doable" storage. The sofa bed was a trip tho--more like a futon & so we got a roll away & had plenty of room.

I have now sailed only twice ( GS & D1) on RAdiance class & here is my observation--- cabins I was in do not have the storage space that other ship classes do. Anyone else have that same observation?

In GS cabins located mid-ship on Radiance class, they are a different configuration than 1600. There is a large wall of closet space and drawer space in the bar area. More than in a D1. It seems that 1600, besides being a strange lay out has drawers with false fronts.

The best cabin for storage space is a JS cabin mid-ship (not familiar with the JS cabins aft, but I would assume they are the same). You have the large walk in closet with shelving and then lots of shelving and drawer space within the cabin next to the desk.

It is a very long walk from the Centrum to the aft cabains and there are no stairs nor elevators in the aft section of the ship. All elevators and stairs are midship and forward.

We didn't encounter any drawers with false fronts.

The bar has enclosed storage space on both ends, and the middle opens up to reveal the fridge/chiller and a set of drawers.

We did end up consolidating the glasses in the bar/television armoire thingy to give us a little more storage space.

There are three drawers on each side of the desk, and two small ones in the middle.

Two mirrored doors with closet space behind; the one on the left has a fairly high shelf that held the safe (Wrona & Carol found it a bit of a challenge) and so the closet bar was lower on that side.

What appears to be a white door next to the closet doors is actually more like a blank wall - we were guessing that it might be some kind of access to pipes; the toilet was on the other side of that wall.

BTW, Carol knew from prior experience to ask the cabin attendant to put a DOUBLE eggcrate topper on the sofa bed to make it more tolerable. He stuffed it behind the sofa during the day.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: you DO occasionally hear noises (chairs scraping, people talking) from the Windjammer outdoor seating above you. We even got a little debris one day (empty sugar packets).

We were tempted to ask them to lower some coffee and some ranger cookies to us.

But only when it's warm enough to sit outside! :) Which we were surprised to find was most of our days on our Alaska cruise!

Archived