What is the least expensive way to get to Victoria Island?

We are leaving on a cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver, but are taking about 3 days prior to the cruise to enjoy the Vancouver/Victoria area before embarking. I know that there is a Ferry from Victoria Island, but are there other options for getting there? We will have a rental car, but I am not sure if it would be cost prohibitive to take the car over on the ferry.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Suzi

We are leaving on a cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver, but are taking about 3 days prior to the cruise to enjoy the Vancouver/Victoria area before embarking. I know that there is a Ferry from Victoria Island, but are there other options for getting there? We will have a rental car, but I am not sure if it would be cost prohibitive to take the car over on the ferry.

Firstly, Victoria is on Vancouver Island. (Victoria Island is in the far far far far north in the Arctic Ocean)

The cheapest option if you're flying on AS, UA or AC is to have your flights be an open jaw so you fly into Victoria instead of Vancouver to start with ( open jaw: START-VICTORIA VANCOUVER-START), but if you're booked already, or are flying an airline that's not going to work.

You can fly into YYJ/Victoria, one way fares from Vancouver (or Seattle) are a little over $100 with all the taxes.

The cheapest way is to not have a rental car at all, and just use the local buses. From downtown Vancouver, take the #601 bus to LADNER, where you transfer to the waiting #620 TSAWWASSEN bus (total cost $5). Walk on the ferry, ($13.50) and when you reach the Swartz Bay (Victoria) side, the #70 bus takes you into downtown ($2.25). Downtown Victoria is compact and an easy walk to virtually all the sights. Either rent a car once you're there, or use the excellent local bus system to get around.

With a rental car, it will cost about $45 ea way to bring the car on the ferry in addition to the passenger fare.

If you have any more questions about Victoria, Vancouver and getting between the two; let me know. I used to do it about 40 times/year

Thank you! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Sorry about mixing up the name of the Island in the original thread. I knew what I meant...it's just not what I wound up typing - LOL!

Suzi

This is a great thread and I'm sure these topics come up often...if we were to use the bus to ferry to bus system suggested above from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria, how much time would you estimate it taking?

Thank you in advance!

This is a great thread and I'm sure these topics come up often...if we were to use the bus to ferry to bus system suggested above from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria, how much time would you estimate it taking?

It's about an hour downtown to ferry; The bus schedules can be had here. Not much different really than the express coach, as if you took Pacific Coach Line's route, you'd need to get to the Vancouver bus terminal as not all the coaches route via downtown.

Vancouver: http://translink.bc.ca/

Victoria: http://bctransit.com/

If you are handy with public transportation and don't have a lot of luggage, the methods above work very well.

In 07 we got off the plane in Vancouver, collected our bags and cleared customs, had lunch, got some loonies at the ATM and headed for the bus.

It took us to Tawassen (sp?) where we were foot travelers. Plenty of room. In the summer, some of the ferries have naturalists onboard that give lectures about where you are, what you are seeing, etc.

When we got off of the ferry we called Enterprise (we'll pick you up!) where I had made a reservation for a car. We drove around a little, found our hotel, etc, etc and spent the night.

Up early the next morning we drove around the govt. buildings in downtown Victoria and had breakfast after which we headed for Butchart Gardens.

What a beautiful place! We were the second car in the lot and had to wait about 20 minutes for it to open. Being early, we were ahead of the tour buses by a couple of hours and so had a leisurely time to enjoy the beauty of that wonderful place.

Afterwards, we had lunch and then reversed the program....return car, ferry to Tawassen and then the city bus to downtown hotel where we stayed over to leave on our cruise the next morning.

It took us to Tawassen (sp?)

Tsawwassen actually, but overall I'm glad you enjoyed the trip.

If you can avoid taking a car on the ferry (especially a rental car) you'll save yourself a fair bit of grief

• 4 weeks later...
Which stop would you get off on #70 bus in Victoria? Empress Hotel????

Would depend on where you're going, what hotel are you staying at. If you are heading to the Empress, the #70 stops behind the hotel (by the attached convention centre)

If you're going for the day, getting off near the Empress hotel is a good idea.

The Empress is located on the Inner Harbour and close to a number of attractions. One of my favorites is the Royal BC Museum and Thunderbird Park with a nice display of totem poles.

Archived