Athens-what to do besides Acropolis?

Dr65

We will be on the Solstice July 6th and were looking for suggestions for Athens. We have visited the Acropolis before and was hoping someone could give us any recommendation for a local island to visit or tour to some other point of interest. Thank you, Dr65

We were in Athens last month on the Ruby. We thought the National Archaeological Museum was the highlight of the city! We only had 90 minutes there and wished we had at least half a day. The collection is phenomenal. A must see in my opinion.....

I'd 2nd the Nat. Archaeological Museum.

There's also things like watching the changing of the guard at Syntagma Square, a walk in the National Gardens, heading up to the rooftop bar at the Grande Bretagne hotel for a beverage while overlooking the Acropolis & city, exploring some of the neighbourhoods - Plaka, Glyfada, Gazi, Monastiraki; There are also organized day cruises to Hydra and other Saronic Gulf islands and excursions to the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion.

We spent 2 days in Athens and only saw a small fraction of the city. I'd love to go back and see the new Acropolis museum as well.

I'd second the nomination for Hydra!! It's a lovely island and so quaint. We did a one day 3-island tour from Piraeus. It included Aegina,Patmos and Hydra and was a day to remember! Shelly:)

I'd second the nomination for Hydra!! It's a lovely island and so quaint. We did a one day 3-island tour from Piraeus. It included Aegina,Patmos and Hydra and was a day to remember! Shelly:)

Poros I think you mean..:)

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on seeing the Acropolis, Agora, and New Acropolis Museum.

If you had to choose between seeing the National Archeological Museum or the rest of the normal circuit (Zeus Temple, Panathinaic Stadium, National Garden, Syntagma Square, Romean Forum), which would you choose?

We are planning on seeing the Acropolis, Agora, and New Acropolis Museum.

If you had to choose between seeing the National Archeological Museum or the rest of the normal circuit (Zeus Temple, Panathinaic Stadium, National Garden, Syntagma Square, Romean Forum), which would you choose?

No question, the National Archaelogical Museum. The Mycenae collection alone is breathtaking, plus the amazing Akrotiri wall paintings, not to mention the gorgeous large complete Cycladic figure. My Stokstad art history book come alive!

What is the best way to get from the Acropolis to the Archeological Museum?

An inexpensive way is to go by metro - from the Acropolis stop (next to the Acropolis museum) go to Omonia station and transfer to the green line, and go stop to Victoria station. From there, it's about a 5-10 minute walk.

What is the best way to get from the Acropolis to the Archeological Museum?

We walked down from Acropolis to the Ancient Agora (great sightseeing!) and then took Metro to the National Archaeological Museum. Metro info is as follows:

Ancient Agora: Monastiraki or Thissio

National Archaeology Museum: Omonia or Biktoria

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Is the Hydra island possible if we're in port for the day. Do you get the boat near where the cruise ship docks. We have 8 hours. Is it doable? thanks, Italy traveler

Hi, Is the Hydra island possible if we're in port for the day. Do you get the boat near where the cruise ship docks. We have 8 hours. Is it doable? thanks, Italy traveler

Hi-I hope I understand your question correctly. We booked the tour through a company that picked us up at our hotel in Athens and transported us to the port of Piraeus. If you mean that you are only in the port of Piraeus for 8 hrs.,I would say it is not doable unless you go only to Hydra and not to the other islands. I don't recall the name of the company we used,but I'm sure if you googled it, you'd be able to find some in the area.

It really is a wonderful place and I'd love to go back someday and stay in one of the hotels for a wk. or so. Good luck! Shelly:)

When you went to the Acropolis, did you also go to the Ancient Agora? We enjoyed it as much as the Acropolis.

I also agree about the National Archeological Museum, but would suggest the new Acropolis Museum.

We took a 3 island tour to Hydra, Poros and another island on Chritsmas day when everything else was closed, but I would not suggest it as you only get a short time on each island.

Ok now I am confused -there is the National Archaelogical Museum and the NEW Acropolis Museum?. People rave about one. Which one is it?.

Also do either of these museums require advance reservations for tickets like in some Europea cities? WE are going in late October so I hope there won't be crowds.

Ok now I am confused -there is the National Archaelogical Museum and the NEW Acropolis Museum?. People rave about one. Which one is it?.

Also do either of these museums require advance reservations for tickets like in some Europea cities? WE are going in late October so I hope there won't be crowds.

National museum has exhibits from all over Greece (and some from Egypt)

Acropolis museum has exhibits only from Acropolis-Thision area...

you don't need pre-reserve tickets for museum...

The New Acropolis Museum just opened June 20 and tickets only cost one Euro per person through the end of 2009. By late October, you will not need advance reservations, which I understand come in two-hour segments for when you have to enter. (You can have as much time as you wish once you enter.) Even now, you can get in, you just might have to wait in some lines, depending on the time of day. At one Euro, the reason is easy to understand!:)

You never need an advance reservation for the National Archaelogical Museum.

Enjoy your trip; late October is a great time to be in Athens.

I agree with cintipam about the time of year. We were in Athens in Nov. and the weather was perfect plus not so many tourists at any given site.

If you visit the Nat. Archaeological Musuem, check out the neat cafe downstairs next to the the gift shop. We had a leisurely Americano and a latte there while perusing our purchases and it was a wonderful way to rest our feet from all the walking we had just done. The owner was there and his English was a heck of a lot better than our Greek:D.

Just a tidbit for people who enjoy museums as much as I do! Shelly:)

If you visit the Nat. Archaeological Musuem, check out the neat cafe downstairs next to the the gift shop. We had a leisurely Americano and a latte there while perusing our purchases and it was a wonderful way to rest our feet from all the walking we had just done. The owner was there and his English was a heck of a lot better than our Greek:D.

Just a tidbit for people who enjoy museums as much as I do! Shelly:)

Hi, Shelly, we spent five hours there last September, and, therefore, ate lunch there. The spinach pie also is pretty good, and the small outside garden indeed provides a nice respite for the aching feet.

Aegina (Egina) is a lovely island and you can get there by hydrofoil (40 minutes, ca 14 euros each way). It's like a completely different world compared to busy Athens. Once there, you can visit the temple of Afea or just do what I did, take the bus to Perdika (7km) and swim off the rocks in clear, warm water and relax in one of the many sea side tavernas.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/aegina/

I was there on Wednesday July 15 with Noordam and it was very quiet. I've been told it's much busier on weekends and later in July and August during Greek summer holiday.

It will take you about 15-20 minutes to walk over to the ferries. Turn left when you leave the cruise port and walk along the port until you reach gate E. Go inside and continue along the port, through the car gate on your right hand, where you’ll find the ticket booths and the hydrofoils, and I believe the car ferries are just nearby as well.

The ferry service is quite frequent, at least one ferry per hour. I took the 8:50 ferry out and the 4 pm ferry back with ample time to the all aboard at 5:30. You might want to give yourself more time to get back to be on the safe side. Luckily, my ferry was on time.

Archived