Is Roatan safe,

dst

I was also on the June 14 Valor and Roatan was my favorite port as well. I would easily consider a land vacation there and it looks like soon there will be plenty of resorts to do so (this could be good or bad depending on how you look at it).

That's funny - we feel the same way about Cozumel, we have been there so often we feel like locals :D

We've done both F&F and Mayan Princess. Used Roatan Cab Tours for our shuttle and Marvin was wonderful, even stopping for pics on the road over. Here are some of both places. We recommend both equally, but swimming is better at West End so Mayan Princess for water. F&F is good snorkeling and food for the price and they take you right to the ship on return.

Fins&Flippers:

2vw7p91.jpgSmall upper part of pool at F&F

2i06heh.jpgEating Fundidos on the patio at F&F

wl3i28.jpgBeautiful coral at the end of the pier at F&F

2agn8ew.jpgBeautiful blue tiled pool at Mayan Princess

35b9r2d.jpgBeach in front of the Princess

Roatan is wonderful, one of our faves and we feel perfectly safe there.

Becci:

Thanks so much for the response - love the pictures. Can you tell me what place would you recommend for snorkeling and hanging out at the beach. Sounds like you would prefer Mayan?

How long of a ride is it over to Mayan and did they leave you and pick you up or did they hang out with you all day.

We are excited to go to Roatan, with all of our years of travel its one of the only Islands we have not been to so we want to make the best of it

Again thanks for the info and the great pics

I am planning on taking the city vans to West End and then hop on a water taxi to West Bay beach.

Need to exchange my dollars into lenopiras. Any help on where I can do this would be great.

Any idea how long it takes to travel this way? I know it cost less but am I better just getting a taxi to West Bay beach?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

I'm planning on doing the same in Roatan. I used the collectivos in Playa del Carmen to Akumal for $2 & was comfortable. We were the only non Mexicans. Check out this site http://www.roatanisland.net/tourist_tips.htm

I have not fully explored this website yet.

A few more pics:

30ho94y.jpgStanding on the snorkeling pier looking at the only sand beach on F&F island.

dgnjv8.jpg Beach at Mayan Princess

dr5def.jpg from the water looking at Princess beach. Not much to look at snorkeling, but you can walk down the beach toward Tabayana beach and find more reef to snorkel.

After walking several blocks to the Roatan Cab Tours van,(they have trouble parking same as everybody on ship day in Roatan) the ride is about 30 minutes over the mountains to the other side of Roatan and Marvin stayed at the Princess until we were ready to leave. It was pouring rain on the way over and miraculously cleared for us after we arrived. I really liked the location there better, but for ease of movement, F&F is better, just walking over and stepping on the boat and it took all of 10 to 15 minutes to get over to the island.

Becci:

You are wonderful to post more photos....I want to go now! I think after seeing these pictures, we are going to do Myan Princess and walk over to snorkel at Tabayana :)

Do you have any contact info for the Roataon Cab Tours?

Thanks again

Sand: I am sure you are trying to be helpful :confused: However, you could please start your own thread filled with negative comments and political views!

We will be going to Roatan in November and after reading all of your posts and beautiful pictures November can't come soon enough!!! Thanks for all the infor

Lady - do you guys have plans for Roatan yet? Please come back and let us know what you did and how you enjoyed it

Sand: I am sure you are trying to be helpful :confused: However, you could please start your own thread filled with negative comments and political views!

This thread asked about Roatan Safety, I have simply provided a link to the State departments site alerting people to possible problems. Seems this falls nicely into this category. In the article you will see "The Embassy strongly recommends that U.S. citizens avoid large gatherings, not try to pass roadblocks if they encounter them, and avoid travel in affected areas. U.S. citizens should monitor the situation via media sources, including TV and radio".

This is a safety post and not a political one and the quotes are fine because any state department warnings are public domain

Correct By the way, did you know about the IGNORE LIST on your User CP? You can put any user on that list and their posts will be removed from your screen.

OMG - I had no idea - thank you so much....one day when we are cruising and run into each other; drinks are on me :)

I know that many of you believe that a thread about safety should only include posts that tell how safe your trip was but I consider this to be really irresponsible to encourage the OP to ignore the reality of what MIGHT be about to happen there.

For those of you who do not follow the news, there is a growing unrest on the mainland that could go either way. There are no reports of growing unrest on the island but this could escalate quite quickly.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090626/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_honduras_constitution

arizdback - I do not think that is what was happening at all - a lot of the original comments were had already been removed by "cc" and it continued. Someone was simply offering a solution

I am interested to know if Roatan is safe and wanted to hear peoples personal visits to the Island. I really do not want o know the political turmoil of the Country (we have our own right here in the US) I wanted to know how people felt and how they enjoyed the Island.

I appreciate all of those who shared their experiences,

Whether or not the OP "THINKS" this is a serious issue is irrelovent. This is a very real threat. As for Roatan and my personal opinion ? today there is no problem, who knows about tomorrow. We have seen in recent history that it takes little for people on Roatan to decide to protest and have ships skip this port. Now there is a major political unrest involving the President, armed forces , judicial system, congress and of course the people. We know what can happen with a little problem with the electric company on Roatan, just look at the past posts here.

This has nothing to do with my political views, This is news that can affect safety and well being . The US state department and the equivalent in Canada have issued travel warning. You can find all the news you want on this at many places , including but not limited to

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/06/25/honduras.general/index.html

http://www.tiempo.hn/

http://www.laprensa.hn/

http://www.elheraldo.hn/

I think sanddiver just wants to sabotage Honduras tourism and Roatan. Apparently he or she has issues and should leave the Island if your not happy there.

My personal opinion for visiting Roatan is that today there is no problem, who knows about tomorrow. We have seen in recent history that it takes little for people on Roatan to decide to protest and have ships skip this port. Now there is a major political unrest involving the President, armed forces , judicial system, congress and of course the people. We know what can happen with a little problem with the electric company on Roatan, just look at the past posts here.

This has nothing to do with my political views, This is news that can affect safety and well being . The US state department and the equivalent in Canada have issued travel warning. You can find all the news you want on this at many places , including but not limited to

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/06/25/honduras.general/index.html

http://www.tiempo.hn/

http://www.laprensa.hn/

http://www.elheraldo.hn/

I think sanddiver just wants to sabotage Honduras tourism and Roatan. Apparently he or she has issues and should leave the Island if your not happy there.

You caught me USF, And I want to do this so much I got CNN and all the major news sources of Honduras to go along with me. Come on, Get real. What business do you own there, why not be honest about it. No one else could really be in such denial. Look at the facts.

USFcrew- I think many of us are on the same page here. I wish the moderators would take a close look at all the inflammatory posts that have been provided by the same poster lately. Quite a bit of sensationalism and questionable statements.

USFcrew- I think many of us are on the same page here. I wish the moderators would take a close look at all the inflammatory posts that have been provided by the same poster lately. Quite a bit of sensationalism and questionable statements.

I do not know what you may find questionable. The US state department has issued a travel warning very similar to that that was issued when cruise ships were turned away. Othere countries have also done so. Stop the questioning and google it.

There are some people on the boards that like to stir the pot a bit - I guess all we can do is ignore them and hope they find something more constructive to do ;)

The interesting thing is that if the OP (in this case me) is asking a question and you have nothing to share in regards to the question - which I have yet to see......you would think they would figure it out and move on.

I appreciate all of those who shared their experience - I believe we will spend the day at Mayan Princess and do a bit of the island tour through our driver

Archived