puerto vallarta

Jane T

Still not sure what we are going to do in PV. I wanted to a zip line and my family vetoed it. Would like to do some snorkeling, but would have to rent equipment. Have heard of the Krystal resort, could we go snorkeling there and how do we get there? Any other suggestions for time in PV? Thanks.

We will be in PV August 27 and plan to go to Krystals for a massage--$95 for 2 people for 75 minutes and it is amazing. :DAfter, we will remain at the resort and use their facilities--it is ok with the massage or as long as you buy stuff there (food/drink) you are welcome to use their facilities. It is in walking distance from the port. Another possibility for an all inclusive is Marival and they charge $45pp for the lunch plan. It is for the greater part of the day including food and alcoholic beverages as well as the facilities. Great pool! You can go to their websites to check it out; however, you must make a reservation for massages.

We have stayed at Marival a few times and liked it well enough, but have heard that the food/drink has gone quite downhill. We stayed at Dreams in PV this past Feb and LOVED it there, the small beach is one of the nicest in PV and the water is quite a bit clearer then PV or Nuevo.

I think Dreams day pass is about the same as Marival but the food/drink is so much better. Marival does have bigger pools and such through.

I think once you swim past the breakers you could snorkel a little bit at Dreams PV certainly not Marival or Dreams in Nuevo which is right next door to Marival, we are staying at that Dreama for 8 nights in Oct.

There is no snorkelling in PV or Nuevo due to the waves and clarity. We always bus up to Punta Minta and snorkel at Marietas Island. There was a great read in the Baneras newpaper.

http://www.banderasnews.com/0709/nb-marietasislands.htm

Google Marietas Island and see the pictures and such.

quincytoo -- we are going to be in PV in November and have noon massages scheduled at Krystal -- is it worth it to head over to Dreams for the afternoon from there? We were thinking of going to the Beach House and hanging out in the lounge chairs if we make a reservation - what do you suggest? We haven't made any rezzies at the Beach House yet and could easily just spend the rest of our PV time at Dreams...would love your opinion.

thanks!

Since Dreams is an All Inclusive, a day pass will probably cost you at least $80 US per person in the high season. Most people, when going there for the day, spend as much time there as possible. As well, they also have a spa with massage, etc. that you can have done there. I personally think it is worth it but others may not. I also love the Beach House.

There's a thread on here somewhere -- people got day passes to Dreams for only $45/pp which I thought was a great deal...the Beach House looks like a blast too -- but if quincytoo is saying that the beach is nice at Dreams, we'd like to try it! We don't plan on spending$$ on excursions, so we don't mind the day rates within reason...

Dreams has a couple of different day passes, a six hour for $45.00 and a 10 hour for $69.00 but that is often for low season, high season day pass rates are typically higher. Other hotels/resorts also offer day passes but Dreams Vallarta has such a gorgeous beach and is in an ideal location.

We also have massages booked at the Krystal Vallarta. A couple years ago I had their massage "on the beach" but they now have an official spa building.

I haven't been able to find a review anywhere of the new facilities.

When you get home, PLEASE post your review of your massages and the facilities.

Thanks.

Dreams has a couple of different day passes, a six hour for $45.00 and a 10 hour for $69.00 but that is often for low season, high season day pass rates are typically higher. Other hotels/resorts also offer day passes but Dreams Vallarta has such a gorgeous beach and is in an ideal location.

Those rates seem to be such a great deal for the caliber of food and such. I would spend the morning exploring PV and then cab it over to Dreams for a wonderful lunch, a few drinks and enjoying that lovely beach :)

PS We found the best prices from James(a beach vendor for double weighted blankets at Dreams. The vendors they have at Dreams are very nice and respectful, we found the prices to be very good if not better then the central and river markets in PV.

BUT I wouldn't go straight to Dreams from the ship and miss out on walking around lovely lovely PV, especially the Malecon and southside.

explore PV first then hit Dreams to eat, refresh and relax :)

Does anyone know how far Krystals is from Dreams. My husband and I are going to be doing the messages at Krystals and than heading to Dreams to spend the rest of the day :)

Also does anyone know how much the ship time differs from land time? So confused!

:) Dominique

Does anyone know how far Krystals is from Dreams. My husband and I are going to be doing the messages at Krystals and than heading to Dreams to spend the rest of the day :)

Also does anyone know how much the ship time differs from land time? So confused!

Hi Dominique! If you have a noon appointment it is 11am shiptime. I can only tell you that Dreams is a $15 cab ride (that is per cab, not pp) We are doing your plan on the Aug 23 sailing on the Mariner OTS and cannot wait--enjoy!

Thanks, quincy! We will plan to explore first, have a massage at Krystal at noon and then spend the rest of the day at Dreams!:D

Hope I am not being rude here :)

If you have cab into PV then back for the message at noon then back to Dreams...that is alot of cabbing it

I would try to change that around a little...Krystal is located so close to the cruise ship..we walked it so easily ..

I would suggest massage first at 9 or 10ish ( *I* would say 9) , then cab into PV and then cab into Dreams.

Yes you are running the risk of being massaged into a stupor before your trip into town but is that really a bad thing, I mean really ??? ;D

Can not wait to hear how much you LOVED PV :)

Veronica - Thank you for the time info. That helps a ton! I think that I am going to book us for the early message and than go straight to Dreams from there. I can not wait to hear all about your message and time at Dreams when you get back. Please review once you are all settled back home! :)

Quincytoo - How far of a walk would you say that Krystals is from the cruise terminal? I would not mind walking at all from there to the resort. Also do you know how far of a cab ride the two resorts are from one another?

Dominique :D

Veronica - Thank you for the time info. That helps a ton! I think that I am going to book us for the early message and than go straight to Dreams from there. I can not wait to hear all about your message and time at Dreams when you get back. Please review once you are all settled back home! :)

Quincytoo - How far of a walk would you say that Krystals is from the cruise terminal? I would not mind walking at all from there to the resort. Also do you know how far of a cab ride the two resorts are from one another?

Dominique :D

I think it was about a 10-12 min walk, if that, for myself, husband and our 15 year old son. We walked along the road BUT I have heard there is a beach entrance, just not sure how to get there from Beach.

I think the cab from resort to resort would be about 30 mins, give or take ten mins .....depending on traffic.

The Princess ships are on MT and PV is CT which is one hour ahead of ship time.

We were in PV off the Ryndam in November. We walked to the Krystal from the port, about four blocks. When we entered the hotel grounds, we looked for the place to purchase a day pass-didn't see one clearly marked, and the front desk was extremely busy, so we just kept on walking through the hotel to the beach. No one stopped us-found many empty chairs and shade to the left, and a pool that was empty. We enjoyed a few hours on the beach, a dip in the pool, and were ready to return to the ship in the early afternoon. No one even approached us to buy a drink. We would have gladly paid the day rate, but could not find anyone to pay it to. Be aware, the beach there has a huge drop off, and the water is very rough, with a significant undertow. I can't imagine one could snorkel there. In fact, we are experienced snorkelers, brought our own gear, and never used it on the entire cruise. Water too murky, cold, jelly fish infested, and rough in all ports.

However, we are used to the Caribbean-nothing like Mexico. We loved the scenery in Mexico, but not the water.

Thank you very much Quincytoo. Wow a 30 min cab ride seems long to me. I just hope that the cab fee isn't too much.

30 mins depends on traffic...it can be only 20-25 mins. PLUS there is sooo much to look at ....:p

When we left Dreams to go to the Airport it was $150 pesos for us, I can not imagine it being more then that :)

We were in PV off the Ryndam in November. We walked to the Krystal from the port, about four blocks. When we entered the hotel grounds, we looked for the place to purchase a day pass-didn't see one clearly marked, and the front desk was extremely busy, so we just kept on walking through the hotel to the beach. No one stopped us-found many empty chairs and shade to the left, and a pool that was empty. We enjoyed a few hours on the beach, a dip in the pool, and were ready to return to the ship in the early afternoon. No one even approached us to buy a drink. We would have gladly paid the day rate, but could not find anyone to pay it to. Be aware, the beach there has a huge drop off, and the water is very rough, with a significant undertow. I can't imagine one could snorkel there. In fact, we are experienced snorkelers, brought our own gear, and never used it on the entire cruise. Water too murky, cold, jelly fish infested, and rough in all ports.

However, we are used to the Caribbean-nothing like Mexico. We loved the scenery in Mexico, but not the water.

We didn't like the beach at Krystal as well. That said, we are spoiled by the sensational beach in Nuevo and the lovely beach at Dreams and as well as Southside PV.

Archived