Tracy Arm viewing

shoesonfire

We were on the 1st cruise of the yr on the Rhapsody in May! We ordered room service and enjoyed it from our balcony! Captain got very close and turned the boat on a dime, was very impressive.

Be aware they make NO announcements when your in the straits, due to environmental concerns. So make sure u set ur alarm clock. Our next door neighbors slept in and almost missed it,lol

Good to hear you enjoyed the Rhapsody and view from your balcony. We have an outside cabin, so we are wondering which deck offers the best views. Thank you for the advice on setting alarm and rising early. We hope to do just that. :)

I got up early and went to the gym and did the treadmill, scenery was awesome! I wanted to run outside, but to many people out walking around,lol

You have to see the onboard show, think it was called Flouressence (spelt incorrect) awesome show!!!

We were on the third sailing in May and got a great view while in Tracy Arm while on Rapsody. See the attached. The captain did a great job manuvering the ship so everyone got a good view. Make sure to have plenty of film in your camera. Tim

DSC00792.jpg.6e346864b858406d735d9bd20df39b30.jpg

I used my balcony but that was a mistake. You have a limited view. I would go as high as you can and to the front of the ship. If the bow of the ship is open go there too. In short walk arround the ship. The back of the ship would also be good.

Thank you all for the advice, also beautiful pic, thanks Tim. We've cruised the Med and Caribbean and this will be our first time to Alaska. Been on the Rhapsody before out of Galveston, loved the ship and friendly staff, hope its still the same. Please feel free to bring any info about the ship, ports, etc. We're getting excited and leave 7/10. Thanks again,

Jan

The views in Tracy Arm are FORWARD. From a balcony you are missing 50%. IF you happen to get up to the Sawyers' and the ship "turns", you are "settleing" for a small portion of the overall available views. It can be a great benefit to be out on deck and have the freedom to move about, seeing more. Have binoculars. With the height of the decks, you are going to miss all the shore stuff.

Don't know where the information about "enviromental concerns" for no announcements came from, more likely so not to disturb sleeping passengers. I've sailed here several times and there always was a narrator during the transit. Including begining of June this season on NCL. RCI, does not have full time naturalists and their "lecturers" run the range from poor to good- IF they have one.

After we left the straits the Captain came on the speaker system and stated that there was no "pipes" (or announcements,lol) due to environmental concerns!

I was quite happy to have my breakfast on my balcony and just chill and relax and be away from the crowds,lol each their own.

next june will be my first time to go to tracy arm and sawer glacier. what has been the experience of past guest in late june. i mean were you able to get into the bay or was the floating ice to much for the ship too get in.

thanks

We were on the third sailing in May and got a great view while in Tracy Arm while on Rapsody. See the attached. The captain did a great job manuvering the ship so everyone got a good view. Make sure to have plenty of film in your camera. Tim

We sailed into Tracy Arm Fjord June 1. We weren't able to get in to see the Sawyer Glaciers due to ice flow.

Nice photo.

• 1 month later...

We had a full aft balcony last week when we were in Endicott Arm (couldn't get to Tracey because of the fog). The view was incredible! We could see the whole thing and both sides. We got some stunning pictures and even better minds eye photos - we'll never forget it. It was like a piece of heaven going into the fjord. Our balcony was a great viewing spot.

We were also told that "Alaskan officials" have asked the ships to not narrate outside while in Tracy Arm. We ended up skipping Tracy Arm and they observed the "no outside narration" in Endicott Arm.

Archived