? From First Time Cruiser Out of LA

lgazz

My family (DH, DS11, DS9) and I will aboard RCI Mariner on 8/23. This will be nour first cruise leaving from Los Angeles. We have lots of experience with MIA & San Juan ports, but none with LA.

I have read that people do not prefer RCI transfers. What is the distance between LAX and the port? How do you recommend getting to/from the port? I have read something about the Super Shuttle, but again, I don't know if that is the best way to go.

Also, according to the ship's itinerary, it arrives in port at 7am the day of debarkation. I am considering a 12:20pm flight home. Can we do this comfortably, or are we taking some kind of risk? (The next flight home is not until after 5pm.)

Thanks in advance! :)

Click here for all the LAX and SuperShuttle info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=936545

Personally I don't recommend flights until 1 PM or after.

It's very possible that you could make the 12:20 PM Flight - but if there is any problem at all with traffic accidents, customs, crew customs, etc.

you might not make it.

It just depends on how much you are comfortable gambling...

Here's one place I would disagree with my compadre Curt....I think you'll be okay with a 12:20 flight on a Sunday...

I've done many Royal Caribbean cruises out of San Pedro (even though I drive off with no need to fly) and I've never been off the ship later than 9:00 am...even when I've tried to linger and eat a slow breakfast...I cannot picture EVERYBODY being off the ship by 10...they usually start letting the new bunch on as early as 11:30...

The drive to LAX is only 20 miles...without traffic, it's a half hour at worst...With traffic, it shouldn't be more than an hour (and Sunday is not likely to have much traffic)...

So, absolute worst case, you're arriving at LAX an hour twenty before the flight...They tell you you should allow for two hours, but you should really be okay...

But, remember, you are NOT going to be the last ones off the ship...You can speed up your departure by arranging for a taxi or a dedicated shuttle so you don't wait for others...

If that flight works out best for you, I'd say take it...I think Curt is being really conservative here...

When you ask can you make the plane comfortly, I would not put a 12:20 PM flight in the comfortable category. It is doable and if everything goes right you'll be fine but just be aware once in a while there is a big delay in getting a ship cleared. I have seen this happen first hand in this port.

I would allow one hour to get from the port to LAX (you may get there in 45 minutes but I would allow the one hour) and I would get to LAX two hours before my flight because there can be big lines there. I also plan on something going wrong. Transporation getting there a few minutes late to the port. Can't find one bag etc.

In short, 12:20 should be fine but I would not use the word comfortable. We typicall book a flight around 1:30 PM which to me is comfortable.

And, if I had a 12:20 PM flight I would not go with super shuttle. I would have a private car pick me up. We have used excucar which is a subidiary of super shuttle. You can get their contact information at http://www.execucar.com

Keith

In general, I would take the later flight simply because that pads the schedule should something go wrong at debarkation. That said, if you wind up at LAX early, you can always ask if you can get on the earlier flight.

One thing to remember is that just because the cruiseline lists their arrival as 7am, it doesn't mean the disembarkation process will start then. The last time out of San Pedro, our disembarkation started 45 minutes late. We weren't concerned as we were just having a car service pick us up for the drive home, and I kept in touch with the dispatcher there. We ended up getting off the ship at 11:10am and there were still several people onboard. But those with flights would be able to get some priority. Just remember that the Mariner has a few thousand passengers getting off the ship, and many will be in the same boat, so to speak, as you.

That time is doable, but you do need to make sure you have your transportation arrangements in place and have the company's number on hand, just in case.

Archived