Versailles Palace vs Monet's Home & Rouen

retta

My vote goes fro versailles too. Monet's home is not that big and only takes about 10 minutes to get around. the gardens are lovely and it took us almost 2 hours to explore them. However we are both huge fan's of Monet's work and were interested in seeing some many of the views immortalized in his many works.

Versailles is amazing and immense both inside and out - definitely more to see and do there.

Although just to play devil's advocate for a minute, if you have never been to France before and don't think you ever will again, then why not Paris itself? It's an amazing city. been there 10 times ranging from 4 days to 14 at a time and will still never tire of it. I've travelled extensively it the past 30 years and it is still my all time favourite city

AmoMondo, Thank you for your reply. I will be doing a ship excursion since I am traveling solo and not brave enough to go out on my own. I wondered if the Paris excursion would let me see enough I know that the drive time is three hours each way which only leaves 4 hours in Paris. What you are saying is that if I never get back I should see Paris.

We were on a TA cruise that stopped in Le Havre and we elected to do a tour to Paris because we didn't know when or if we would ever get another chance and I'm really glad we did since my wife has had health problems since we did it.

We did a private tour rather than a ship's tour but we ended up with about the same amount of time, 4 hours, in Paris and a 5 1/2 to 6 hour total drive time back and forth.

We got to see the outside of the Louvre Museum, had a photo stop at the Champs-Élysées and the Arc de Triomphe. We got to go up the Eiffel Tower and into Notre-Dame. We had about an hour or so to see the Paris Opera house and eat. We saw the Seine several times and the bridges that cross it. All and all it was well worth the money we paid and we can say we saw some of Paris (my wife had actually been there years before but I had never been).

I would suggest doing the Paris tour and saving one or both of the others for another trip to France. IMHO.

Have a great next cruise.

It is easy and relatively safe (watch out for pickpockets though) to tour Paris on your own - even for inexperienced travelers. Don't be afraid to explore Paris on your own.

Between Versailles and Monet's Home and Garden I will definitely pick Versailles. As others have already mentioned, there are a lot more to see in Versailles.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know that I will ever get to France again so I am wondering which ship excurison would be the best one to go on. Any opions would help.

Without a doubt Versailles should be your excursions.

Given the choice you propose I would go for Versailles every time. However, I'm with those who suggest a visit to Paris itself. I have no idea how many times I have visited Paris, but once visited you will only want to go back there. In the short time you have you will get no more than a flavour of it, but even that is worth the trip alone. I am lucky in that Paris is only an hour's flight from my local airport. Bonnes vacances!:)

• 3 weeks later...

No question about it! A peek at the city is worth it. Versailles is formal gardens and masses of gold covered furniture. It is lovely in its way, but doesn't even begin to compare with Paris. Go on the ship's tour and see as much as you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Versailles is a must see for first time visitors, sure. But only if you've already seen the main sights in the city and still have time left on your vacation. I don't think Versailles should be considered in place of Paris on a one-day visit.

Versailles is also not that far outside of Paris, so you won't be saving a whole lot of time by stopping there instead of continuing on to the city. Possibly 1.5-2 hours in total, considering both legs of the trip between the two.

We've been to Paris many, many, times. And wouldn't consider a one day visit on a cruise ship excursion. I think that's a long way to go to see a city, especially having just done same from Warnemunde to Berlin, and having somewhat regretted doing so. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Take the tour that feels right for you in terms of stress and travel. To be honest, a day in Honfluer, especially if a market day would be better than 6 hours on a bus. Paris is my favorite city hands down. but with limited time go for quality of life. France is all about quality of life from food to wine to museums. Get a feel for france and you will find a way to come back.

I like to say that France is the home you never knew. It grows on you and Normandy is France, Versailles is France, Paris is its own world in France enjoy.

Archived