Photos from my solo cruise to Alaska 6/7/09

BluesCruise

What day were you in Juneau because I swear I have the same pictures of the buoy, sea lions and eagle, (see below). I was there on the 11th.

Looks like you had a great time!!

HA! I was there on the 11th, also. Were you on a Harv and Marv tour, or another company?

You have a much better camera, LOL.

I did the Photo Safari so we were on a small boat with just 10 people.

It was my first trip to Alaska last year that convinced me to get a better camera, because the wildlife is so hard to photograph. It wasn't so much the blurry pics that bothered me, as it was the quickness I could take more pics. As you pointed out in your one pic where there was just water, whales especially need continuous shots.

Last year I did what you did, everything I thought I had to do and wanted to do for my one trip to Alaska. Then I realized it made me want to see more of Alaska, so this year I was able to focus more on excursions that were wildlife and photography oriented (plus by the time I got to the ship I'd been travelling for 2 weeks was ready to take it a little easier).

I did the Photo Safari so we were on a small boat with just 10 people.

It was my first trip to Alaska last year that convinced me to get a better camera, because the wildlife is so hard to photograph. It wasn't so much the blurry pics that bothered me, as it was the quickness I could take more pics. As you pointed out in your one pic where there was just water, whales especially need continuous shots.

Last year I did what you did, everything I thought I had to do and wanted to do for my one trip to Alaska. Then I realized it made me want to see more of Alaska, so this year I was able to focus more on excursions that were wildlife and photography oriented (plus by the time I got to the ship I'd been travelling for 2 weeks was ready to take it a little easier).

We were on a small 6 person boat. The whales were not in abundance, but I had a wonderful time, anyway. After a while, I stopped looking for whale spouts, and just enjoyed it for what it was. The weather was great, so it was just a crisp day, on a boat, with beautiful scenery.

I realized a couple of vacations ago that I'm not much into photography. A friend tried to teach me to use my camera better, but I found that I didn't really care. I don't want to be concerned with the camera settings and staring at the viewfinder. I'd rather experience what I see firsthand, and if I should happen to get a photo of it, all the better. I missed getting a shot of a bear, but I saw it with my own 2 eyes, and that will stick with me forever.

That said, I wouldn't mind having more zoom capability, though. I held my camera up to my binoculars to get some closer shots, but it was a little awkward.

Wow! Fantastic pictures. I never thought I would want to go to Alaska, but I guess I'll just have to put it on my list. What cruiseline did you go on? Thanks so much for putting them up on here for all of us to see Blues.:o

I'm not a cold weather person, so Alaska wasn't high on my list of places to go. But, once I found out I could go dogsledding, and considering global warming, I moved it up to the top of my list.

I went on Celebrity Mercury. I love the smaller size of the ship. It's easy to get from one end to the other, and you see the same people over and over during the cruise. That's great for a solo cruiser.

Hi Tami:)your pictures are wonderful! Glad you had such a great

time. I am going back on Mercury in September:D....it will be my 7th time

sailing her! She is my favorite ship:)

• 2 weeks later...
These are beautiful pictures. I wasn't expecting the sound at the end and I jumped, but it was great. Thanks for sharing.

WCC

LOL. The sound of 70 dogs barking, whining, and howling is REALLY loud. I asked the musher how could he stand it, and he said he doesn't even notice it anymore. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. :)

Archived