Scottish cruisers help please ! ! !

HAHA

Judi we are in Corstorphine area

carhirer, a true scotsman wouldn't use weights

elizanessie... pegs and tights....hhhhmmmmmmm getting a mental image here

emdia I'm glad it's not just us then lol

jimc_usa, everyone IS entitled to an opinion, and I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion BUT ....... I did only ask if we would be allowed to take a sporran on a flight.. I did not ask if my sporran had been killed humanely or not ! I am also VERY VERY against animal cruelty of any form, but I know my sporran is a humane kind, I wouldn't have it otherwise.:rolleyes:

I'm off to look for a kilt roll now....... the things you learn !

oh and for the record.... I have just bought a rabbit sporran off ebay for our foreign travel

wendy

x

112545543_schools30th.jpg.4181c76755720e5d28b944062484d92c.jpg

1144722886_electrician2.jpg.aa33917722e92ddfed1c1b664e3a42fe.jpg

2065790308_rosepetal2.jpg.0b32e91ff8ca4d7d2fec8561c5449ecb.jpg

HAHA

Judi we are in Corstorphine area

carhirer, a true scotsman wouldn't use weights

elizanessie... pegs and tights....hhhhmmmmmmm getting a mental image here

emdia I'm glad it's not just us then lol

jimc_usa, everyone IS entitled to an opinion, and I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion BUT ....... I did only ask if we would be allowed to take a sporran on a flight.. I did not ask if my sporran had been killed humanely or not ! I am also VERY VERY against animal cruelty of any form, but I know my sporran is a humane kind, I wouldn't have it otherwise.:rolleyes:

I'm off to look for a kilt roll now....... the things you learn !

oh and for the record.... I have just bought a rabbit sporran off ebay for our foreign travel

wendy

x

Now you've gone and upset the rabbit lovers!! :p I say bring your seal...How is ANYONE gonna know its seal? Its not like there is a seal skin detector in the airports or on ships! :D

HMMMMMM

Just wondering if they do plastic sporrans. or will that upset the tupperware people... OMG :eek: I am NOT old enough to remember tupperware............. honest :D

LOL...we still have tupperware here...I think.....though everyone makes those things now and its very inexpensive so maybe tupperware did go away...hmmmmm

We are flying out in 2 weeks to do our 1 week Florida thing, then driving down to Port Canaveral for our 1 week Freedom.........can't wait :D

I was getting stuff ready to pack when hubby casually threw into the conversation "hhhmmm I think I'll take my kilt this year".......... :eek:

question is can we take a seal skin sporran onto a cruise or flight even ????

we have a safety sgian dhub so we're ok there, but I'm worried I'll have to rush out and get another sporran :confused:

has anyone had any problems before

wendy

xxx

For those that may be confused about the safety sgian dhuh. Here is a link to the one I bought for use on cruises. ;)

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/sr_wscot_sgianshubs_dummy_stonetop

Scotty G......... thanks for that link, that is the one we bought,

will love fab along with our seal/rabbit/tupperware sporran don't you think, :D

wendy

x

OH 'safe' one is one made of metal, but it is very blunt :)

Tupperware sporran, has some intreating potential, lunch boxes :)

Terri, you got in there with the lunch box gag just before I did :D

Wendy we stayed up at Clerwood until 2 years ago when we moved to Morningside - small world.

Judi

It is indeed a small world - we live in Clerwood and we're heading out to Miami on the 3rd of July for our first cruise (on Liberty). I've been scanning these boards for a few weeks now picking up tips and finding answers to the many questions that came into my head.

From reading this thread it seems that I need to go out and buy a fake sgian dubh and possibly a kilt roll. I had planned to take my kilt, jacket & shirts in a suit carrier in checked luggage and get them ironed once on board. My problem is that our suitcases are too small to fit a kilt roll inside and I'm not sure whether I would get it on the plane as hand luggage (we're flying BA premium economy).

Only 10 big sleeps to go and so many decisions to make! :)

I have to say I learned a lot on this thread, and boy kilts are expensive.

Enjoy your cruise

Aren't they just!! You get a lot of kilts which are "off the shelf" and are quite cheap but they are not "proper" hand stitched made to measure box pleated kilts.

They say when you buy a kilt you should never have to buy another in your lifetime. If I remember correctly when we bought my DH's whole outfit we were over £2000 and from measuring to collecting it was 9 weeks. In saying that, he has had a lot of wear out of it.

Judi

small world indeed.....

made to measure is the way to go.

Neil has a Stewart tartan (his mothers name)

a Thomson tartan (his dads name )

a douglas tartan ('cos he likes it)......... costs a bleedin fortune ! ! ! but they look SOOOOOO handsome.

Gorgieboy. is that in george or gorgie the promised land ;)

you will have a blast, we had our very first cruisde on Freedom from Miami 4 years ago.... we're hooked now, back on Freedom in 2 weeks cruise number 5 LOL

any questions gimmie a shout it's purescottish at msn dot com

clochette.... kilts cost a fortune for a "proper" hand stitched one, or you can spend £20 = $35 roughly for "tartan tat" one.... made in china, almost see through, in any colour your heart desires..

wendy

x

Wendy - it most certainly is a reference to the promised land. I may be 'marooned' up here in clerwood but I'll always be a gorgie boy at heart!

Thanks for the offer of advice, if I think of anything else I will drop you a line.

We are looking forward to it so much and I'm just hoping that our 13 year old has the confidence to go and meet new people and do his own thing - he can be a bit shy at first but if he can get over that I'm sure he will have a ball.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith

what can I say .... the promised land, I've been brought up church of Tynecastle, so I don't know any different !

my Emma was 7 when we first cruised, she's 11 now and still won't speak to anyone LOL, we don't sign her up for the kids clubs 'cos she just wouldn't go, we always holiday as a family so we don't mind her sticking to us like glue, we don't gamble or drink so we just laze about really, so it's not a problem for us.

are you just doing a week on Liberty and home again ?

we always thought it a long flight for 1 week, so we do 1 week in Florida, then drive to port for a 1 week cruise... kinda justifies the cost of the flights LOL

wendy

x

I don't know if what you intend to bring is OK as I was looking at other prohibited items and a kilt knife appears to have been added to the list of items you can't bring onboard. Strange as it's the last item on the list and looks to have been added in a different font as though it's been a last minute addition.

I don't want to be a spoil sport but would hate you to travel all that way and have it confiscated as I presume it is worth a pretty penny!

A: Aside from the obvious (and illegal) items not allowed onboard, there are other items we cannot accommodate onboard.

Prohibited items:

Candles

Coffee Makers

Electrical Transformers

Flammable Liquids and Explosives (such as fireworks)

HAM radio equipment

Hockey sticks

Illegal Drugs

Irons

Personal Alcohol

Skateboards

Surfboards

Knives including the Sgian Dubh (kilt knife)

Keith

are you just doing a week on Liberty and home again ?

we always thought it a long flight for 1 week, so we do 1 week in Florida, then drive to port for a 1 week cruise... kinda justifies the cost of the flights LOL

wendy

x

We're doing a week on Liberty and then picking up a hire car and doing Florida for two weeks. When we come off the cruise we drive down to Key West for a couple of nights, then we come back up to Miami for a couple of nights, and then we head up to a rented villa in Kissemmee for the last 9 nights. This will be our 5th visit to Florida but we've never been to Key West or Miami so I'm really looking forward to it. Re our 13yr old, I'll be happy regardless of whether he sticks with us or does his own thing, he's just at that awkward age at the moment, especially if it involves speaking to girls (unless of course they play football and understand the offside rule!).

Cheers,

Keith

peteruk. we have bought one of the false ones,it kinda looks like a sheath the would cover the knife, but in actual fact there is nothing there, no blade or opening or anything sharp at all, so hopefully that should be OK :D

gorgieboy. cool holiday plans, we've not done the "keys" yet... but it is on my top 10 list, maybe next year instead of a cruise.. Miami, I have only done 1 night precruise so can't comment on that.. Kissimmee... LOVE it:D

flight tickets arrived today, and I am now awaiting the arrival of the "foreign sporran" as I'm going to call it.

now I just have to bake and decorate 4 wedding cakes and 5 birthdays, as well as school meetings, church services a memorial service........... oh and yeah.. I GOTTA PACK. ready to fly on 5th July:eek:

I think I'll need a holiday to recover LOL

wendy

x

How do you know what your sporran is made from ? My hubby has no idea and he has had it about 6 years. We haven't had any problems on any previous cruises. Also is it only if you are travelling to the U.S. ? We are going on a Baltic cruise on 4th July and as it sails from Harwich we are driving to the port.

The formal kilt is a nice looking outfit. Enjoy the cruise and wear the kilt with pride.

I am in the process of putting a Prince Charles outfit together. All I need now is my vest and jacket. The biggest problem I have had is to determine what Scottish Clan to use for my Tartan. My last name is not Scott, but my family tree has several in it. My best friend is a MacDonald, and I have a MacDonald in the tree. I am now a member of Clan Donald USA, and use the standard Tartan.

Tartantiara....love the name LOL.... to be honest I wish I hadn't ask the question, and just taken it anyway, but I was trying to be better safe than sorry.... normally when you buy it you pick from a range, Neil liked the one he saw...turns out it was seal skin, if he had just been handed it in a box, he prolly would never have known !

Gary, there are some nice variations of Donald tartan, I'm sure you would suit any of them. we just got Neil jacket and vest last week as he needed a blue one to go with the Thomson tartan, but we got a great deal and managed to get the pure woollen jacket, vest and bow tie matching all for £125 = $200 roughly, which is a fab price, ...... I was also watching a few on ebay LOL

wendy

x

Tartantiara....love the name LOL.... to be honest I wish I hadn't ask the question, and just taken it anyway, but I was trying to be better safe than sorry.... normally when you buy it you pick from a range, Neil liked the one he saw...turns out it was seal skin, if he had just been handed it in a box, he prolly would never have known !

Thanks Wendy we will just take it anyway if we don't know what it is made off chances are nobody else will either. I have looked at all our docs. and can't find any mention of not bringing a skean dbhu (sp?) so we will take that also. As we leave in 5 days there is no time to purchase a fake one. Enjoy your cruise.

Rosy

Archived