Scottish cruisers help please ! ! !

We are flying out in 2 weeks to do our 1 week Florida thing, then driving down to Port Canaveral for our 1 week Freedom.........can't wait :D

I was getting stuff ready to pack when hubby casually threw into the conversation "hhhmmm I think I'll take my kilt this year".......... :eek:

question is can we take a seal skin sporran onto a cruise or flight even ????

we have a safety sgian dhub so we're ok there, but I'm worried I'll have to rush out and get another sporran :confused:

has anyone had any problems before

wendy

xxx

We are off on the 4th July from Southampton, hubby is taking his kilt, but will take the fake skean dubh instead of his real one.It mentions in our travel docs from RCCL NO KILT KNIFE onboard. Sorry just re read and realised you were talking about sporran, don't know answer to that.

We are flying out in 2 weeks to do our 1 week Florida thing, then driving down to Port Canaveral for our 1 week Freedom.........can't wait :D

I was getting stuff ready to pack when hubby casually threw into the conversation "hhhmmm I think I'll take my kilt this year".......... :eek:

question is can we take a seal skin sporran onto a cruise or flight even ????

we have a safety sgian dhub so we're ok there, but I'm worried I'll have to rush out and get another sporran :confused:

has anyone had any problems before

wendy

xxx

We have to deal with the same thing. To be safe we have not taken seal skin (btw there are many sources fo seal skin), he has taken a rabbit skin one though, as that is less controversial

Re the sgian dhub, it will show up on the x-ray when the luggage it taken into the ship so the piece of luggage that has it in will not be delivered to the state room. You will probably have to go and get it from security on the bottom deck as it will show up as a blade, but if you get it out, show it to security (so they see it is blunt) and explain it is ceremonial then all is fine. This is what happens to us each time :)

Flight was easy, just make sure the sharpe stuff in is the checked luggage :) (Including kilt pin!)

Oh Dear... I didn't want to start an argument, just have a question answered, which I don't do here very often for this very reason

jimc_usa... we have import restrictions in this country too, us "jocks" also agree that seal culling is wrong ! but I did not ask for a lecture on seal culling...... jings !!!!!!

the sporran was given to my husband as a gift, bought from a proper source where everything is legal and above board AND humane ! we do humane in this country too you know,

Arlendius, thank you, you managed to say it better than me !

mydnite, thanks... I might just stick it in the carry on, I have never been to the naughty room and don't want to start now, but I would hate for the airline to confiscate it as they cost a fortune as you will already know

baljaffrey.... I am having one of those days too LOL

thanks for the help

wendy

x

Oh Dear... I didn't want to start an argument, just have a question answered, which I don't do here very often for this very reason

jimc_usa... we have import restrictions in this country too, us "jocks" also agree that seal culling is wrong ! but I did not ask for a lecture on seal culling...... jings !!!!!!

the sporran was given to my husband as a gift, bought from a proper source where everything is legal and above board AND humane ! we do humane in this country too you know,

Arlendius, thank you, you managed to say it better than me !

mydnite, thanks... I might just stick it in the carry on, I have never been to the naughty room and don't want to start now, but I would hate for the airline to confiscate it as they cost a fortune as you will already know

baljaffrey.... I am having one of those days too LOL

thanks for the help

wendy

x

I didnt mean to derail your question, but when someone come flying with information that is far off, I just felt I had to give a answer. I happen to live in a city where seal hunters have their base, and every year it is a big day for a lot of the older population when the boats comes in with fresh seal meat and sell it straight from their boats. There is also a lot of research work done here (at the local university) about marine life in the arctic, so the newspapers are at times full of informatin about the hunting of seals and their impact on the number of fish in the sea (That is also an extremely important business here that affects a lot of people around here).

Arlendius

Thanks for the replies everyone..... Arlendius I wasn't getting at you LOL, I respect and understand what you are saying.

some posters just can't help themselves and jump right in there without actually reading the question..

Happy ks thanks for your reply too,

I just wish sometimes that people would realise that we are not a 3rd world country, we have regulations and restrictions too, we are not dumb........ honest

last year on Mariner, our tablemates from California asked if we had toilets and drains....... I mean how do you answer that honestly ??? and keep a straight face, we are quite a refined race you know.

anyway I will try ringing the airline again, I don't think it is so much the cruise part I'm worried about..... more the flight

thanks again

wendy

xxx

No no no .... please so not put in in the carry on, that is even worse, they take a look at it, umm and ahhhed, and when we did it they looked like they were going to take up off of us as if it were a dagger! even though it was competley blunt. It may have been a jobs worth security gaurd, but it was a lot of hassle, and took a while to sort out and it was not at all plesant. I know they have a job to do and would not questiosn that at all, but we were treated quite badly, even when we were allowed on the ship. I think maybe they did not undersand what it was.

(LOL, they did not mind letting a man on with a pocket knife though)

Collecting it fromthe 'naughy area' was easy, the staff are always nice as soon as you say it blunt and goes with a kilt, and they are then helpful and plesant. Maybe a nice change for them dealing with a non threat than with shirty passangers who are annoyed at having alcohol and irons taken off of them. But that was by far a much better experience :)

last year on Mariner, our tablemates from California asked if we had toilets and drains....... I mean how do you answer that honestly ??? and keep a straight face, we are quite a refined race you know.

xxx

The flight is no problem, seal skin is banned, so don't take that, but as long as the sharp bits (or seemingly sharp bits) are in the checked luggage no problems at all :) OH always takes a couple of kilts with him, and never a problem in the flight.

BTW we had a table mate that was shocked we did not use dollars as our currency.

Mydnite....... thank you, maybe in the case would be better then, I might also look at getting a rabbit sporran, I really don't want to have to stand and justify myself to anyone when I'm on holiday, :mad: I just want to relax, and if I have to go through all this rigmarole first........... then so be it !

WHAT......... you don't have a different currency LOL :eek:

I tell you... I could write a book with some of the stupid questions I've been asked, it's almost like that top 10 thing they do at the end of the cruise, you know the one that has the same answers for every ship! ;)

thanks again everyone

wendy

x

My DH's sporran is rabbit skin - bought it specially for cruising because of the regulations regarding seal skin.

We will not, however, feel bad about wearing ceremonial/regimental dress which has been passed down by our forefathers since, at least, the late 1500s.

My DH takes his sgian dhub (the real thing) - packs it in checked luggage and has never had any problems with it not being delivered to our suite. Same with his kilt pin.

I would suggest buying (if you don't already have one) a kilt roll. It makes packing the kilt so much easier.

A sgian dhub is not allowed on board

Taken it on every cruise we have been on.

At the Captain's Reception last Christmas the Captain came to my husband and asked him about his kilt. They spoke for a long time about the history of it. Showed the Captain his sgian dhub, no-one batted an eye-lid.

Judi2112. Edinburgh....me too LOL

what a fine figure of a man in your pic.

we have bought a false sgian dhub so no worries there...... kilt roll ?

where do I buy one of those, anything to help with packing is a must

can I hire someone to pack for me ??? just so busy I don't have the time

wendy

Judi2112. Edinburgh....me too LOL

what a fine figure of a man in your pic.

we have bought a false sgian dhub so no worries there...... kilt roll ?

where do I buy one of those, anything to help with packing is a must

can I hire someone to pack for me ??? just so busy I don't have the time

wendy

Wendy - where in Edinburgh are you?

You did make me laugh with your "stupid questions" quote. If I had a pound for every time ....;)

If you go to scotweb.co.uk you will be able to order on online. They cost about £22. You basically roll the kilt into the carry case, gives you instructions on how to do this. It also fits nicely into the bottom of a case and is very slim when rolled up. It keeps all the pleats/apron in place and stops them getting crushed. I ordered one for John and it came within a couple of days.

Judi

A sgian dhub is not allowed on board

Never been a problem for us either.

Oh yes, as someone else said, do get a kilt toll if you do not have one, it makes carrying and packing kilts so much easier

Thanks for the replies everyone..... Arlendius I wasn't getting at you LOL, I respect and understand what you are saying.

some posters just can't help themselves and jump right in there without actually reading the question..

Happy ks thanks for your reply too,

I just wish sometimes that people would realise that we are not a 3rd world country, we have regulations and restrictions too, we are not dumb........ honest

anyway I will try ringing the airline again, I don't think it is so much the cruise part I'm worried about..... more the flight

thanks again

wendy

xxx

Americans get the same kind of question from British cruisers too... :)

Archived