Post Cruise Venice- 1 1/2 days Enough?

Our ship docks in Venice at 1pm with an overnight stay.... I've booked a hotel for two nights post cruise but am having second thoughts about the length of time we spend in Venice.

I realize people are very passionate about this unique city.

But having never been to Italy before, and wanting to see as much as possible,we planned on renting a car and heading north to spend a few days in some smaller and less touristy areas. (which we prefer)

My question is, are 2 nights and 1 1/2 days enough time to enjoy Venice?

I understand this is a subjective question.....No flaming please. :o

Thank you in advance.

I agree...plenty of time. A full day in Venice really gives you a feel...just walk around and let yourself get lost. Get away from the crowds of St. Marks. You will really enjoy the smaller towns outside of Venice.

Its a darn good question. Having spent a lot of time driving in Italy (more than 10,000 miles of driving) we love driving around the country. 1 1/2 days in Venice might be enough for you, but try to take the Vaporetto all the way out to Burano for a couple of hours. This is a more residential and quiet island in the lagoon (with plenty of cafes and restaurants for a nice lunch) and besides getting a nice boat ride through the lagoon you will enjoy this laid-back island. Tourism in Italy during the summer is a huge industry, and you will not escape by heading North, South, East or West although you will find fewer Americans to the North but plenty of Europeans on holiday. The least touristy part of Italy we have found is in an area called the Marche where the major city is Urbino. We actually spent 5 days in this area and did not see a single American or Brit.

Hank

Archived