Face Creams...which ones really work?

birdie16

Poppan, I only use the apricot scrub (said peach in that first post--temporary brain melt!) as a cleanser. Sometimes I'll refresh my face a little or remove makeup with no-alcohol witch hazel on a cotton ball, but that's it.

If you try the JASON vitamin E stuff, start with waaaaaaay less than you think you'll need, especially if you apply it when your face is damp. A little goes a very long way!

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely give it a try. BTW I was asking you about the apricot scrub because I wanted to get more cleanser recommendations to try. My skin is still too dry so I am on the lookout for a gentler product in that department...

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely give it a try. BTW I was asking you about the apricot scrub because I wanted to get more cleanser recommendations to try. My skin is still too dry so I am on the lookout for a gentler product in that department...

You might like this product--it's an exfoliator, but it's made with natural oils that linger on the skin even after you rinse. It didn't clog my pores or anything, I just wasn't as fond of it as I am the apricot stuff. But it was really good for moisturizing the skin while cleaning it too.

Even though I am 66, almost any facial cream, lotion, toner, sunscreen, soap, cleanser or what have you will cause a break out on my skin, particularly my chin area, lower cheeks, neck and upper chest. Hair conditioners, if applied in the shower, will break out the back of my neck and upper back.

So all I ever do is wash with liquid Cepacol cleanser and in the morning I put on a Neutragena moisturizer with SPF 30, being careful to not touch the areas that tend to break out. I don't ever use foundation.

I also think that genetics have a lot to do with how much one's skin will wrinkle as does sun exposure and heavy smoking. A friend of mine lived for several years at very high altitude. She told me the dry air up there aged her skin greatly. My point is that environmental factors and heredity factors beyond our control can impact the condition of our skin as much as what creams we apply.

I'm amazed how many products some of those who responded here are using on their faces. But whatever works. Each person has to experiment to discover what routine is best for them. That can change too as one ages or has lifestyle changes.

Mehitabel: I tried the Vit E cream for the first time last night. I of course forgot your tip to not towel-dry my face until after I had done it -- I hope I remember that tonight so the cream will go on better. Last night it went on quite thick! ;) That is some serious cream! I have to give it some more time before I know if it's working for me, but so far so good. Thanks for the recommendation.

HeavySurf, your skin sounds very sensitive. I have never really used make-up/foundation either... for dual reasons. First because I just didn't really know how to choose or put on make up and just felt funny with it on. And secondly because I felt like it really didn't help my blemish issues.

It's so true, what you said about genetics and environmental impact. I pretty much know for a fact that all my skin issues are hormonal -- whether genetically or environmentally derived, I do not know. But I know that my skin magically clears up when I use birth control pills, and I also know that no amount of expensive products and regular facials could fully solve my issues when I was not on the pill, although they did keep it under control somewhat.

I used to use random drugstore cleansers and oil of Olay (cuz that's what my mom uses) and I always had breakouts and dry dry dryyyyy patches of skin on my cheeks in the winter (ow!). Oil of Olay also burned the crap out of my skin, especially when it was dry.

I then started using that Clinique 3 step system of the cleanser, exfoliator liquid stuff, and the moisturizer and had much better success. Still had breakouts but much more moisturized skin. I always liked taking the cotton ball with the exfoliator liquid, smoothing it on my skin and then looking at all the ickiness that came off my skin. I know. I'm grody. :eek:

Two years ago I got started on the Mary Kay timewise basic set of cleanser and moisturizer and I have gradually added more stuff to my daily routine (I'm still not that great about remembering to wash my face at night:o). Honestly, my skin has never looked better and I rarely get breakouts. I'm 27 and my face still feels like a baby's butt! :D

Alright, I know these products aren't "miracle workers" :o but how long should I realistically expect to see a difference in my skin when starting out a new product line?

I've been using the Regenerist products for a week now (OK, 6 days LOL) and my skin still looks as dull, and lifeless as ever. :(

I didn't expect to see face-lift type results, but my skin just looks sooo dry and dull!

Not enough time yet or not the right products for me?

Two years ago I got started on the Mary Kay timewise basic set of cleanser and moisturizer and I have gradually added more stuff to my daily routine (I'm still not that great about remembering to wash my face at night:o). Honestly, my skin has never looked better and I rarely get breakouts. I'm 27 and my face still feels like a baby's butt! :D

Probably the most important beauty routine would be to clean your face each night whether with gentle soap or some type of cleanser. All of the impurities and environmental "junk" of the day need to be removed.

Alright, I know these products aren't "miracle workers" :o but how long should I realistically expect to see a difference in my skin when starting out a new product line?

I've been using the Regenerist products for a week now (OK, 6 days LOL) and my skin still looks as dull, and lifeless as ever. :(

I didn't expect to see face-lift type results, but my skin just looks sooo dry and dull!

Not enough time yet or not the right products for me?

I normally give something a month or so before declaring it useless ;) Or at least a few weeks.

Archived